+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone moved out of Alberta

GirlOntario

Star Member
Aug 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JPMC said:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Alberta+shedding+jobs+fastest+rate+Canada/2196657/story.html
In his 2010 Calgary Economic Outlook, released in early October, Adam Legge, vice-president and chief economist with Calgary Economic Development, said further job losses are expected the rest of this year and into the first quarter of 2010, particularly in the natural gas and services side of the energy sector.

Not the right time to be in Alberta. All the folks who currently have a job in the US don't even think about quitting and moving to Alberta any time soon. Tar Sands are in turmoil.
Good research JP Morgan Chase! keep it up. Actually I will think in this way that if you are looking to establish a business (Many IT folks dream of being a owner of Tech Staffing/Consulting company) then moving may be fruitful otherwise look for right time. Developed Countries like US/Canada must be tired of a single need of every immigrant which is a office job!! I think immigrants should also start thinking out of Box and start working of alternatives of job.

poppyjml

Star Member
Nov 1, 2008
alberta has lots of it job openings. it just depends on whether you have the exact skill/technology they're looking for or not.
and as i mentioned in some forums, i just noticed that the entire job application process in some companies are very slow.
you apply now, and it's possible that you'd get a call for an interview a month, 2 or 3 months from now.

JPMC

Aug 27, 2009
poppyjml said:
alberta has lots of it job openings. it just depends on whether you have the exact skill/technology they're looking for or not.
and as i mentioned in some forums, i just noticed that the entire job application process in some companies are very slow.
you apply now, and it's possible that you'd get a call for an interview a month, 2 or 3 months from now.
Do some research before posting son. Go to any Canada jobsite and search for it jobs, Java,.Net,DBA,BI,SAP,QA.... and see where the jobs are at. Its all in Ontario.
Alberta is not expected to boom in the near future. Thanks to people thinking green. Even the most optimistic don't expect Obama's green signal to Tar sands. He will take Middle East Oil over Tar sands oil on any day.

poppyjml

Star Member
Nov 1, 2008
I'm actually in alberta and in the IT field, so I've been subscribing to dozens of IT job notifications for Alberta for a couple of months now. And that's the basis of my statement.

I don't look at IT job openings in Ontario, so I can't compare, but there are many IT job openings in Alberta.

That's just my observation and opinion.

kishankanhaiya

Jan 7, 2009
poppyjml said:
I'm actually in alberta and in the IT field, so I've been subscribing to dozens of IT job notifications for Alberta for a couple of months now. And that's the basis of my statement.

I don't look at IT job openings in Ontario, so I can't compare, but there are many IT job openings in Alberta.

That's just my observation and opinion.
Thanks for your feedback poppyjml! I think having a positive attitude helps. I saw in your other posts that you moved to Edmenton and have secured a decent job. Congratulations!

I have checked some job search sites and noticed that Alberta has a decent number of job openings. The process as you mentioned may be slow but patience reaps rewards.

Goodluck to your stay in Alberta.