+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone knows about the refugee shelter in Toronto? What is the living condition?

Samaritan Strategy

Mar 4, 2021
yes,I think I have to prepare for the worst, thanks for your information.
Each city has a Central Intake office for shelter, support and housing. You can call the Central intake and they will be able to find you a shelter space according to your needs/eligibility. You may not get an individual room unless you are a family or in some cases pregnant women can get. Having said that, it also depends on your personal needs, central intake may consider according to your needs so best to get in touch with them. For Toronto Central Intake the link is https://www.torontocentralhealthline.ca/displayservice.aspx?id=133949

Swagzzy

Jan 28, 2020
Thanks for your reply. It is so disappointing that I can hardly accept the fact right away. Are you saying that for refugee claimants without money, we can only stay in such enviornment, right? I thought at least we can have our own bedroom, with shared bathroom and kithches. But the reality is completely not, right?
Another question is , to apply for the social assistance, Ontario works require refugee claimant to provide their UCI number. Typically only after eligibility interview, can people get the number. But from what people say in this forum, the elibility interview may not happen immediately after they make the claim. Then while they wait the interview, how could they sustain themselves?
Your questions and conclusions are out of this world. If you are a refugee and fleeing from death or persecution, you will not be concerned with all these. In any case, do not expect anything fantastic! You might be lucky to have a room to yourself and family members all in one room if you are here with your spouse and kids.
Else, you will end up in central intake and from there may be you will be posted to Seaton House or something worse. It is a lifeline for survival. Your major concern should be how your claim will be accepted and how you will be interpreted into the system.
Anyways, think twice. You may as well not go to shelter and pay your own money to stay in the hotel until you find a house of your own to rent or even rent your home and start your process from there but if you take that route, it will also mean that you have enough to pay for your legal services as legal aid will not help people who have their own money.
GOOD LUCK.