+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone here quit your studies in Canada, got a job offer, and applying/applied for work permit?

Naresh_PlantSci

Star Member
Dec 22, 2020
Hello,

I am looking for advise from people (came as a student to Canada) who quit their studies, because you got an employment offer from a Canadian company and therefore, you applied for a work-permit. I'm currently a student in Canada, but I may have a similar situation in the future.

Please, provide your inputs whether this is even possible?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I am looking for advise from people (came as a student to Canada) who quit their studies, because you got an employment offer from a Canadian company and therefore, you applied for a work-permit. I'm currently a student in Canada, but I may have a similar situation in the future.

Please, provide your inputs whether this is even possible?
It's definitely possible, although not common.

You would obvioulsy need to wait for the employer to get an approved LMIA and then also wait for your closed work permit to be approved before you can start working for your employer full time. You also should not quit your studies until the close work permit is approved.

My one recommendation is to avoid doing this during your first semester or first term of studies in Canada. In situations where people come to Canada and then try to convert to a work permit without completing at least one semester or term, we've seen numerous cases here where IRCC has refused the work permit. IRCC doesn't like this since it makes them question if the person was ever a genuine student.