+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone has complicated situation like me? Also, want to become CPA in Canada?

Aherman

Aug 12, 2017
Hi all,

I want to study in Canada but I am worry my illegal status in the US would caused a rejection of my study permit.

Little bit about me: I came to the US about 15 years ago because my father did an arrangement marriage to a guy in the US. My family and I did not know this guy was illegal. After my visitor visa expired for few months, I applied political asylum, but my petition got denied. Short story, I got divorced, and continued to appeal until the federal court. At the end, I gave up and became illegal. I wanted to change my life, so I attended a local community college, got my associate degree, & transferred to state university in pursuing undergraduate degree in Accounting. I will be graduated this December 2017 with GPA around 3.6/4.0

I wanted to continue to Master of Accounting (MACC) program to get my CPA license in the future. Actually, I've already been accepted into MACC program in my university next Fall 2018 (They waive GMAT since I have GPA above 3.5), but I realize my illegal status is my biggest obstacle to get an internship job and a permanent job in firms or other companies in the US. I don't have a future in the US because of my illegal status. I joined this forum to get more detailed informations about the path in applying a study permit in Canada for those who have similar situation like me. I want to study again in Canada to become a CPA, and hopefully to immigrate to Canada and contributing to their economy and society. My aunties from my father side are willing to help me for some of the tuition cost in Canada because they knew about my arrangement marriage in the past.

I've found some information about the path to become CPA in Ontario.https://www.cpaontario.ca/become-a-cpa/why-cpa/get-started
But my concern is I am worry that Canadian embassy would reject my study permit because of my history and illegal status in the US. Do I need to go back to my home country, and apply a student visa from there? I have my passport, and I have sufficient money for about 1.5 years of tuition & living cost in Canada. I know I need to get high score of GMAT for my graduate admission in Canada.

Another information, my brother is a permanent resident in Canada. He works as a software engineer in a small company in downtown Toronto. About my brother: He graduated from the US in Computer Science degree as an international student 17 years ago, & then became out-of-status. Short story, he applied political asylum, & got rejected. After worked in the US under the radar for years, he applied a permanent residence for Canada under Federal Skilled Worker program. He was lucky enough because his company at that time merger with a company in Toronto, & they sponsored him.

My situation is completely different than my brother since I came to the US with visitor visa while my brother came with a student visa (F-1). I need a kindly advice and perhaps some people can share their experiences or others' experience who have been in similar situation like me. Or, anyone currently want to study in Canada pursuing to become CPA. Please share valuable information for me. Thank you!

Aherman

Aug 12, 2017
I want to add few things. For the Express Entry, I don't think I would get enough point since I am 37 years old, & I don't have professional work experiences. In the past, I worked as a waitress and part-time manager in restaurants. Do I need to hire a lawyer because my situation is complicated?

Please help with any advice or comment. Thank you!

Last edited:

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfortunately, you will have to apply for a study permit from your home country.

If I were you, I would give it a try and see what happens. You will only be losing the application fee which I don't think is a big deal.

Good luck!

Aherman

Aug 12, 2017
Unfortunately, you will have to apply for a study permit from your home country.

If I were you, I would give it a try and see what happens. You will only be losing the application fee which I don't think is a big deal.

Good luck!
Thank you for your reply. Currently, I am still a student in the US. I still have one semester to graduate. After that, I will study for months for GMAT . I am interested in MACC program at York University, U of T, & Brock University. If I couldn't gain an admission on those universities, I would apply to Carleton university, University of Alberta, & others that offering MACC program. I would like to be in Ontario region since my brother lives in Ontario.

I am not worry about losing the application fee. I am worry that Canadian embassy in my country would reject my application multiple times even though I am genuinely want to study further for accounting and become a CPA. My other choice is Australia since that country also open open for immigrants.

I noticed that some of the people in this forum applied their study permit through online. Is this way could be applied in my situation too? Or, go back to my home country and apply a study permit from there is the only option for me?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's zero chance a study permit is going to be approved for Canada given your status in the US. To be approved for a study permit, you need to demonstrate that you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term. This isn't something you can demonstrate. Additionally, the fact your brother as PR in Canada and gained his status through a refugee claim will make CIC think you want to remain here permanently.

If you want to come to Canada, you need to apply to immigrate (i.e. apply for permanent residency). Illegal overstays are forgiven when you apply for PR provided you are 100% honest in your application. Forget about applying for any temporary status (study permit, work permit, visitor visa) - you have no chance of being approved. Sorry.

Aherman

Aug 12, 2017
There's zero chance a study permit is going to be approved for Canada given your status in the US. To be approved for a study permit, you need to demonstrate that you have strong ties to your home country and have no plans on remaining in Canada long term. This isn't something you can demonstrate. Additionally, the fact your brother as PR in Canada and gained his status through a refugee claim will make CIC think you want to remain here permanently.

If you want to come to Canada, you need to apply to immigrate (i.e. apply for permanent residency). Illegal overstays are forgiven when you apply for PR provided you are 100% honest in your application. Forget about applying for any temporary status (study permit, work permit, visitor visa) - you have no chance of being approved. Sorry.
Hi Scylla, thank you for your reply. So, in my situation (beside my rejected political asylum case & being illegal), having a brother who is a permanent resident is also gonna hurt my application of study permit? My brother got his permanent residence status in Canada through Federal Skilled Worker program - not under refugee claim. He was an international student in the US, & worked for about 8 years as a software engineer in the US. He applied political asylum after his OPT expired for few months. Despite his rejected political asylum status in the past, his company at that time knew about that and still hired him to work for them because they need his skills. Then, the company sponsored him to work in Canada since they merged with other company in Canada

I feel that I am losing hope since I do not have strong ties to my home country. Both my parents passed away, & I am single with no children. My brother & I have some properties from our late father in our country, but it's still under our father's name. So, it is kind like they will reject my study permit no matter what I am being honest and genuine in my application. You mentioned that I need to apply for PR. So, that means I need to gain working experiences. I cannot do that in the US. I am not qualified for Express Entry since I don't have enough point even though my IELTS score is 7.5. I only took IELTS once, & I did not prepare at that time, so I believe I can achieve better IELTS score in the next test.

Please enlighten me about PR application. Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry - I misunderstood your brother's situation. Yes - having a PR brother hurts a study permit application since it makes CIC far more likely to suspect you have plans to remain in Canada long term rather than just come temporarily as a student. But your brother isn't the big issues - your status in the US and how long you've been out of status is your huge problem. Honestly - there's really zero chance a study permit will be approved given your status. I personally wouldn't bother applying.

For Express Entry and other economic immigration programs, you need to have work experience (at least one year of paid skilled work experience). There's really no way for you to immigrate without work experience.

Aherman

Aug 12, 2017
Sorry - I misunderstood your brother's situation. Yes - having a PR brother hurts a study permit application since it makes CIC far more likely to suspect you have plans to remain in Canada long term rather than just come temporarily as a student. But your brother isn't the big issues - your status in the US and how long you've been out of status is your huge problem. Honestly - there's really zero chance a study permit will be approved given your status. I personally wouldn't bother applying.

For Express Entry and other economic immigration programs, you need to have work experience (at least one year of paid skilled work experience). There's really no way for you to immigrate without work experience.
Hi Scylla, thank you for the information. I did not know that having a family members in Canada who has a legal status as a permanent resident also could hurt for an application of study permit. As you mentioned about my big issue, now I understand that I have no chance to study in Canada.

For the Express Entry, I only had one year experience as a bookkeeper, but I worked as an independent contractor. I don't know if I can put that experience in my application for EE. Also, I had an experience for more than 1 year worked as a full-time manager at Japanese restaurant, & then I worked part-time afterward due to my study. Even though I am illegal after my political asylum got rejected, I have a Social Security Number, & I always filed tax to the IRS.

I am leaning toward now to pursue MACC in the US if I cannot have a chance to study in Canada. Despite my illegal status in the US, as long as I can afford to pay tuition cost in the US, and earn high grades, I am still qualified to sit for CPA exam, & become a CPA. There are some states in the US whereas you can take a CPA exam without required proof a legal status as long as you have a Social Security Number. I am eager to invest myself in education, & then I will find a path to find a good job.

Btw, are you working for David Cohen - the immigration lawyer who owns this site? I am curious because I noticed you gave some valuable informations for people in other forums.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - I'm not an immigration consultant or lawyer. Just a regular person.

I don't know if your work experience in the US can help you to qualify to immigrate. May be worth hiring a good Canadian immigration lawyer to find out. The experience needs to be skill level NOC A, B or 0 - you may want to do some research to understand if any of your work experience falls in that category (I believe bookkeeping should).

Aherman

Aug 12, 2017
No - I'm not an immigration consultant or lawyer. Just a regular person.

I don't know if your work experience in the US can help you to qualify to immigrate. May be worth hiring a good Canadian immigration lawyer to find out. The experience needs to be skill level NOC A, B or 0 - you may want to do some research to understand if any of your work experience falls in that category (I believe bookkeeping should).
Wow! Even though you are not an immigration consultant/lawyer, but by answering my questions and others', you have been very helpful to all of us. Thank you so much for doing that! I will follow your advice to ask and hire a good Canadian immigration lawyer. Best blessing for you!

pura123

Jul 2, 2017
Hi there,

My case is a bit complicated too than the usual.

I have been rejected twice :-
1) Tourist visa - did not have a job around then
2) Spousal PR visa - my ex-spouse withdrew the application and our relationship was not at all worth lasting forever

However, I still would like to go to Canada on a student's visa. My ex-spouse forced me to leave my job. Therefore, I was not doing anything except travelling for a couple of years.

So my million dollar question is, do I still have a bright chance to get a Student Visa?

I would be extremely grateful if you could guide me through and relieve me from the stress.

Thank you!

Aherman

Aug 12, 2017
Hi there,

My case is a bit complicated too than the usual.

I have been rejected twice :-
1) Tourist visa - did not have a job around then
2) Spousal PR visa - my ex-spouse withdrew the application and our relationship was not at all worth lasting forever

However, I still would like to go to Canada on a student's visa. My ex-spouse forced me to leave my job. Therefore, I was not doing anything except travelling for a couple of years.

So my million dollar question is, do I still have a bright chance to get a Student Visa?

I would be extremely grateful if you could guide me through and relieve me from the stress.

Thank you!
Hi, Pura123, I believe Scylla can answer your question regarding your complicated situation. Previously, I thought if someone has high grades from previous education, sufficient funds for tuition cost plus living cost, & above average IELTS score bands, that person would have a higher chance to get a study permit in Canada. Turned out I was wrong. There are some other things CIC evaluates in each individual's application for study permit, and then make a decision based on those things. Best luck for you!

pura123

Jul 2, 2017
Hi, Pura123, I believe Scylla can answer your question regarding your complicated situation. Previously, I thought if someone has high grades from previous education, sufficient funds for tuition cost plus living cost, & above average IELTS score bands, that person would have a higher chance to get a study permit in Canada. Turned out I was wrong. There are some other things CIC evaluates in each individual's application for study permit, and then make a decision based on those things. Best luck for you!
Yep! Will be looking forward to that. Thanks anyways!

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Scylla, thank you for the information. I did not know that having a family members in Canada who has a legal status as a permanent resident also could hurt for an application of study permit. As you mentioned about my big issue, now I understand that I have no chance to study in Canada.

For the Express Entry, I only had one year experience as a bookkeeper, but I worked as an independent contractor. I don't know if I can put that experience in my application for EE. Also, I had an experience for more than 1 year worked as a full-time manager at Japanese restaurant, & then I worked part-time afterward due to my study. Even though I am illegal after my political asylum got rejected, I have a Social Security Number, & I always filed tax to the IRS.

I am leaning toward now to pursue MACC in the US if I cannot have a chance to study in Canada. Despite my illegal status in the US, as long as I can afford to pay tuition cost in the US, and earn high grades, I am still qualified to sit for CPA exam, & become a CPA. There are some states in the US whereas you can take a CPA exam without required proof a legal status as long as you have a Social Security Number. I am eager to invest myself in education, & then I will find a path to find a good job.

Btw, are you working for David Cohen - the immigration lawyer who owns this site? I am curious because I noticed you gave some valuable informations for people in other forums.

Or alternatively, you could go back to your home country and work legally and gain the required experience at which time you could then apply for Express Entry assuming they don't change the laws.

Only downside if you choose that route is you will jeopardize your chance of living in the US because as you may already know if you leave the US at this point, your chances of returning lawfully are slim to none.

Another option is to look for a job and an employer in Canada or the US willing to sponsor you on a work permit, however, without a CPA designation makes it harder.

Good luck!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
[QUOTE="xecuter, post: 6278887, member: 327993"

Another option is to look for a job and an employer in Canada or the US willing to sponsor you on a work permit, however, without a CPA designation makes it harder.

[/QUOTE]

Work permits aren't an option due to the OP's illegal status. They'll never be approved.