Visa Office......
vergeville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-10-2010
Just seeing if there's anyone from Toronto...It's just me and my husband, we dont have any family here and sometimes it really gets lonely. :(

kourts

Nov 11, 2010
I'm not. but TO was on my list of places I'd like to live. If you don't mind me asking how is the cost of living there and how are jobs there. From what I've looked at, it's pretty costly. =/

coldgirl

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
vergeville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-10-2010
Well, depends on how much you are used to spending. We moved from Nova Scotia, and housing there is pretty cheap. Plus with just one of us working at the moment (since I cant work), it is kind of hard. But I think it is pretty easy to get jobs here, my husband got a good job within two weeks after moving here.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coldgirl said:
Well, depends on how much you are used to spending. We moved from Nova Scotia, and housing there is pretty cheap. Plus with just one of us working at the moment (since I cant work), it is kind of hard. But I think it is pretty easy to get jobs here, my husband got a good job within two weeks after moving here.
I think it just depends on what field. I have a relative in TO and he couldn't find one after he left his job in the same field six months ago.

How about in terms of utilities (phone, cable, hydro, gas)? NS is cheaper?

coldgirl

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
vergeville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-10-2010
yea that's true. Well, I dont know if its cheaper, because all our utilities are included with our rent, which is really nice. We just went to last Christmas, and one of our friends just got a two bedroom apartment for 1100, and there's no way you could find an apartment (as nice as that one) in Toronto. But even though it might be expensive, I love it here, you dont need to have a car, food, clothing pretty cheap(lots of outlets here, unlike Nova Scotia) plus we dont have drive 20 minutes to go to the grocery store like we did in Nova Scotia.

M

mrandmrsromero

I'm in Toronto. I know it can be a bit difficult to meet people here at first (it was quite a change for me moving from the more laid back "Friendly Manitoba" culture!) I found getting involved in volunteer work and community activities really helped ease the transition, as well as taking some evening classes. Through those kind of activities I met some great friends and really came to love Toronto. That said, I would appreciate hearing more about your Nova Scotia experience. My husband and I are deciding between moving to Nova Scotia and BC after he arrives (hopefully this summer). He will be going to trade school in one of the two provinces. After many years of big city life, we're both interested in living in a more relaxed, less densely populated place. We have a couple of friends in BC but don't know anyone in NS. I know housing is more affordable in NS - but how is the job market, quality of life, etc?

coldgirl

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
vergeville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-10-2010
yes, voluteering does help. I voluteer at a community service once a week, but wish I could do more. Since its only my husband working, we have to be really careful with money(even buying tokens to go somewhere..lol). I didnt live in Nova Scotia for very long time, I was going to school there as an international student and thats where I met my husband. I lived there for six months before moving here. Nova Scotia is really beautiful but I felt awkward there. My school was in a very small town, and even though people were nice, you could tell they werent used to people from different culture. I felt so out of place. Plus Ive always lived in suburbs or near the city. So Toronto is perfect for me. I just love the different culture and people here. :) We also want to look into moving to BC after I get PR since my brother lives in Seattle, plus I heard its almost like Toronto there.

M

mrandmrsromero

Yes I have heard that the people from NS are genuinely nice but the population is not presently very culturally diverse, especially in the small towns. Perhaps that will change in time with more people applying through the provincial skilled worker nominee program? As much as the lower cost of living in NS appeals, we are leaning toward BC because we know some people there, and Vancouver has some of the multicultural "feel" of Toronto but in a more relaxed atmosphere. It certainly won't be any cheaper to live there, but the pluses for us outweigh the minuses, and there are always trade offs in life, right? Best of luck wherever you decide to settle!

coldgirl

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
vergeville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-10-2010
Thanks! Good luck to you too!

pegasusyt

Nov 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2011
File Transfer...
24-11-2011
Med's Done....
22-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
I'm near Toronto and I also volunteer. Still hard to meet people here.. meeting people in Argentina is much easier! It's a bit frustrating!!

coldgirl

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
vergeville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-10-2010
yes i know, ive been here for a year and a half and i havent made any really good friends.

pegasusyt

Nov 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2011
File Transfer...
24-11-2011
Med's Done....
22-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
yeah what's up with that?

coldgirl

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
vergeville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2010
Med's Done....
29-10-2010
this girl i met told me that most people, especially girls already have their own clique after high school or college and they tend to just hang out with them. maybe when i start working, ill meet more people.

Kvjatushek

Jul 18, 2011
Hello coldgirl ! I am in the same situation and also feel lonely without family and friends.Maybe we can meet someday for a tea,coffe. As I am new to this forum so don't know is here such option as private message to leave you contact information?Here is my skype: okeanija1 feel free to contact me ,will be glad to hear from you :)