Med's Done....
05 April 2011
Passport Req..
27 July 2011 (Passport & Appendix A)
VISA ISSUED...
22 August 2011
LANDED..........
19 September 2011
Hi, I would like to ask about health care coverage.

How many weeks or months will I be given the health card? I have heard some provinces gave them right away. So I wonder.

Do I need to purchase health insurance to cover me in the meantime I am waiting for my health card?

lovely20

Mar 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2010
sthomas said:
Hi, I would like to ask about health care coverage.

How many weeks or months will I be given the health card? I have heard some provinces gave them right away. So I wonder.

Do I need to purchase health insurance to cover me in the meantime I am waiting for my health card?

From their website it seems you are exempted from the 3-month wait and can be eligible for benefits from the day you move to Saskatchewan.

http://www.health.gov.sk.ca/moving-to-saskatchewan

sthomas

Apr 10, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 May 2011
AOR Received.
5 August 2011
File Transfer...
21 June 2011
Med's Done....
05 April 2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22 August 2011
LANDED..........
19 September 2011
lovely20 said:
From their website it seems you are exempted from the 3-month wait and can be eligible for benefits from the day you move to Saskatchewan.

http://www.health.gov.sk.ca/moving-to-saskatchewan
Yaaay, I will belong to the special classes ( PR landed immigrants).

I was looking around the website but never managed to read this section. Thank you for sending me the direct link :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sthomas said:
Yaaay, I will belong to the special classes ( PR landed immigrants).

I was looking around the website but never managed to read this section. Thank you for sending me the direct link :)
Don't get too excited there is a 3 month waiting period, read the link closely. It only applies if you have been "landed" in Canada for 3 months, living in another province. It means you don't have wait an additional 3 months.

sthomas

Apr 10, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 May 2011
AOR Received.
5 August 2011
File Transfer...
21 June 2011
Med's Done....
05 April 2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22 August 2011
LANDED..........
19 September 2011
PMM said:
Hi

Don't get too excited there is a 3 month waiting period, read the link closely. It only applies if you have been "landed" in Canada for 3 months, living in another province. It means you don't have wait an additional 3 months.
Hmmmm, ok, thanks for the info :)

I have overlooked the word ELIGIBLE from this text:

The Saskatchewan Ministry of Health covers health services for certain special classes of newcomers from outside Canada who move to Saskatchewan on or before the first day of the third calendar month after arriving in Canada. If you are among the groups identified below, you may be ELIGIBLE for benefits from the day you move to Saskatchewan. (permanent residents (landed immigrants) are one of the special classes)

Eligible does not mean, covered right away? ... So it means I am eligible to apply right away, right? Or eligible means I am covered right away?

Damn this English!!! Hahahahahha :)

Anyways, will go to Service Canada or somewhere and then we will see from there. I have options on where to purchase my health insurance for my first three months. Blue Cross is too expensive. There is one that is more affordable but lesser coverage. :) Do you have any suggestion?

lovely20

Mar 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2010
My understanding is that you will fall under the special classes of newcomers which means correct me if I'm wrong states that:

The Saskatchewan Ministry of Health covers health services for certain special classes of newcomers from outside Canada who move to Saskatchewan on or before the first day of the third calendar month after arriving in Canada.

The term on or before the first day of the third calendar month, this means you can be covered even before the first day of the third calendar month right??? You might be eligible, I will give them a call and ask.

sthomas

Apr 10, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 May 2011
AOR Received.
5 August 2011
File Transfer...
21 June 2011
Med's Done....
05 April 2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22 August 2011
LANDED..........
19 September 2011
lovely20 said:
My understanding is that you will fall under the special classes of newcomers which means correct me if I'm wrong states that:

The Saskatchewan Ministry of Health covers health services for certain special classes of newcomers from outside Canada who move to Saskatchewan on or before the first day of the third calendar month after arriving in Canada.

The term on or before the first day of the third calendar month, this means you can be covered even before the first day of the third calendar month right??? You might be eligible, I will give them a call and ask.
Yaay, that is so sweet of you. Thanks :)

lovely20

Mar 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2010
So I just called the number for you (306) 787-3251 and spoke to a lady named Sherri. She said that you will be covered as soon as they receive your application. She suggested you do this immediately as it takes 2-3 weeks to receive the card itself.

So there you go, you don't have to wait 3 months for your health coverage!

soie76

Star Member
Aug 10, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
whats the coverage scene for students coming ona study permit? anyone?

lovely20

Mar 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2010
soie76 said:
whats the coverage scene for students coming ona study permit? anyone?

I am an international student attending school in Saskatchewan. Am I entitled to Saskatchewan health coverage?

If you are an international student temporarily resident in Saskatchewan to further your education you may be eligible for Saskatchewan Health coverage. To qualify, you must be in full-time attendance at an accredited educational institution; and provide a valid Study Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada; and complete and return the Student Certification. (Click here to see the Student Certification). If you change schools or your graduation date, an additional Student Certification may be required. For further details please call Health Registration at 1-800-667-7551 (no charge, in-province only) or (306) 787-3251 (Regina area, or when calling from outside Saskatchewan).

sthomas

Apr 10, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 May 2011
AOR Received.
5 August 2011
File Transfer...
21 June 2011
Med's Done....
05 April 2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22 August 2011
LANDED..........
19 September 2011
lovely20 said:
So I just called the number for you (306) 787-3251 and spoke to a lady named Sherri. She said that you will be covered as soon as they receive your application. She suggested you do this immediately as it takes 2-3 weeks to receive the card itself.

So there you go, you don't have to wait 3 months for your health coverage!
Yaaay, thanks so much lovely20. That is so sweet of you to call them. :) I am happy to know this. :)

lovely20

Mar 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 12, 2010
sthomas said:
Yaaay, thanks so much lovely20. That is so sweet of you to call them. :) I am happy to know this. :)
You are welcome Sthomas, it wasn't that much it took me just 5 mins. Have a safe flight!

sthomas

Apr 10, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 May 2011
AOR Received.
5 August 2011
File Transfer...
21 June 2011
Med's Done....
05 April 2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22 August 2011
LANDED..........
19 September 2011
lovely20 said:
You are welcome Sthomas, it wasn't that much it took me just 5 mins. Have a safe flight!
Yaay thanks !!!

ivilig

Sep 19, 2011
hi, i'm so pleased to see this link,

i am also an applicant for canada immigration and planning to land in saskatchewan, we just had our medicals, i am 5 months pregnant now so i am wondering if the cost of my childbirth will be covered by the provincial insurance should i decide to deliver there, if so, what are the requirements in applying and securing health card, thank you very much, God bless!