+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied a Student Permit from Philippines?

lilliecutie

Star Member
Jul 17, 2019
Manila
Great program! I'm excited for you.

Feel free to send me a private message if you need help with anything or just have general questions/concerns about the UofA, grad school life (at the UofA and in general), and living in Edmonton.

Good luck!
Aww, thanks so much! So kind of you! I may need to take you up on that offer soon. So far, I've gotten most major things out of the way such as getting a place to stay, registering for orientation, sending a photo for my ID (LOL), even Googling distance from my place to the university by bus. Right now, what I'm really preparing for (and a little nervous about) is winter 'coz I hear Edmonton's winters are way harsher than in other cities/provinces? I got to visit Calgary and Banff Town in early December two years ago, and the chill factor drove me crazy. I didn't get to go around so much! This girl from the tropics is about to be frozen! LOL!

Reactions: nursesnow

nursesnow

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019
Aww, thanks so much! So kind of you! I may need to take you up on that offer soon. So far, I've gotten most major things out of the way such as getting a place to stay, registering for orientation, sending a photo for my ID (LOL), even Googling distance from my place to the university by bus. Right now, what I'm really preparing for (and a little nervous about) is winter 'coz I hear Edmonton's winters are way harsher than in other cities/provinces? I got to visit Calgary and Banff Town in early December two years ago, and the chill factor drove me crazy. I didn't get to go around so much! This girl from the tropics is about to be frozen! LOL!

Hahaha . My problem is ill be missing my babies.

Reactions: lilliecutie

postdoc_fellow1008

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
Aww, thanks so much! So kind of you! I may need to take you on that offer soon. So far, I've gotten most major things out of the way such as getting a place to stay, registering for orientation, sending a photo for my ID (LOL), even Googling distance from my place to the university by bus. Right now, what I'm really preparing for (and a little nervous about) is winter 'coz I hear Edmonton's winters are way harsher than in other cities/provinces? I got to visit Calgary and Banff Town in early December two years ago, and the chill factor drove me crazy. I didn't get to go around so much! This girl from the tropics is about to be frozen! LOL!
Nah... it's not that bad. Plus you'll get used to it. And I don't think Edmonton has the harshest winter, that's a myth (hello Winnipeg! LOL). Based on my experience at least. Edmonton winters are nice, and the weather is dry, so the cold, if it's not too windy, is pretty manageable. I walked to school once at -40 but sunny day (2 km from my apartment), and I survived. Make sure to invest in a good coat and pair of boots, of course (don't go cheap on these). Winters have gotten warmer actually (except last February during the polar vortex insaaaane cold snap, but this wasn't just in Edmonton).

What area will your place be at?

Reactions: nursesnow

lilliecutie

Star Member
Jul 17, 2019
Manila
Nah... it's not that bad. Plus you'll get used to it. And I don't think Edmonton has the harshest winter, that's a myth (hello Winnipeg! LOL). Based on my experience at least. Edmonton winters are nice, and the weather is dry, so the cold, if it's not too windy, is pretty manageable. I walked to school once at -40 but sunny day (2 km from my apartment), and I survived. Make sure to invest in a good coat and pair of boots, of course (don't go cheap on these). Winters have gotten warmer actually (except last February during the polar vortex insaaaane cold snap, but this wasn't just in Edmonton).

What area will your place be at?
Oh awesome. I'll be living in the W. Edmonton area. I figured it would be better to rent outside the university as that would be 50% cheaper. After all, school is just for 3 days a week, so I don't really need to live in-campus (too expensive for me at 850-1200 CAD a month? Hell, no). But I made sure I found a place that is just a minute walk to the bus stop, LOL. Winnipeg? In Manitoba? Oh my, I almost applied to study at the University of Manitoba, but they didn't have the program that I was eyeing. U of A's M Ed. prospectus totally had me. It was love at first sight. (Dork moment!)

But what do you guys normally do for recreation during wintertime aside from skiing?

Reactions: mrsm2016

ErikaLouise

Star Member
Jul 18, 2019
Cavite
Visa Office......
Makati
App. Filed.......
01-08-2019
Doc's Request.
01-08-2019
Hi again ... Ask ko lang po.. Usually ilang days bago magsend si scotiabank ng wire transfer instruction? Nag open ako ng friday, til now wala pa. Thank you!

lopi14

Star Member
Aug 19, 2012
Category........
Hello friends,

May small update yung status ng account nmin just now.

Biometrics
  • July 5, 2019 Completed.
~~~~~~~~~~
Previously (last night), it showed:

Biometrics
  • We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.
Ano kaya ang susunod na update? Sa mga graduate po na may access sa GCKeys, did you notice this kind of update? If yes, ano po ung kasunod na naupdate sa account?

Reactions: rchldcv

Em-em22

Jul 24, 2019
Sir/Ma'am,

Your most welcome! And, thanks for sharing your timeline, too. SDS decisioning timeline is kinda tricky. Historical data shows decisioning as short as 7 days. The longest was 28 days.

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎
Nonetheless, here's our updated forecast:
  1. artsh0914 (SDS: July 27)
  2. mrsm2016 (Reg: July 28)
  3. rain143 (Reg: Aug 01)
  4. lopi14 (Reg: Aug 04)
  5. rchldcv (SDS: Aug 09)
  6. roks (Reg: Aug 11)
Disclaimer: forecasted dates lang po ito. Plus/minus 2 days. SDS processing takes about 21 + 7 days, while Reg Stream takes about 28 + 7 days.

SDS - July 1
SP+OWP+TRV
Biometrics done previously
No update since July 1

Reactions: lopi14