+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied a Student Permit from Philippines?

Whitedy_

Star Member
Aug 3, 2017
PH
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS Makati
Med's Done....
06-09-2017
Whe
Anyone here who also applied during the first week of July? This wait is really nerve-wracking! I wish I could've chanced upon this forum sooner, and before I submitted my application. Sobrang dami kong natutunan. Sana na improve ko pa ung SOP ko. Now I'm not feeling so confident about it :confused:
When po kayo nag apply and where? When when is the start sate of your program?:)

keeadum

Apr 27, 2017
Hello. I just want to share that I've been reading this thread since April when I submitted my application. All your tips were a big help now that I got my approval just today, so thanks to all of you! I'll be starting my 2 years masters degree this September. :)

I thought I won't get my study permit approved because
(A) my husband is Canadian (we got married last year but did not opt for sponsorship visa) which, while reading other stories with similar situation as mine, is a big red flag because it would be hard to prove that you'll leave Canada at the end of your study;
(B) the course I applied for in Canada is different from my previous education degree and employments; and
(C) if I get approved, I might not receive it in time for Fall 2017 intake as I had to undergo a two-month culture test after they "found an irregularity" on my x-ray plate.

Here's my timeline:

26 April - application submitted online
2 May - medical exam requested
4 May - medical exam done
16-18 May - sputum and culture tests 3 consecutive days
20 July - culture test result: negative
7 Aug - repeat xray (there has to be 3 months gap from your 1st xray)
10 Aug - medical exam passed and at the same time, application approved and PPR :)

That's 16 weeks in total! o_OIf any of you have the same situation as mine, just message me and I'll be glad to share tips. Don't lose hope, it's still possible to get your application approved!

I'll drop off my passport at VFS on Monday. If any of you have tips on the next steps after PPR, please share away :) Thanks again for your helpful tips these past months!

Last edited:

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
As per CIC website... a student is eligible to apply for a PGWP after his/her study... all the more kung nsa list of accredited institutions ung school mo...
To obtain a work permit under the PGWPP, the applicant must meet the following requirements:

• have a valid study permit when applying for the work permit;
  • have continuously studied full time in Canada (i.e., studies must have taken place at a Canadian educational institution) and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months in duration;
  • have completed and passed the program of study and received a written notification from the educational institution indicating that they are eligible to obtain a degree, diploma or certificate. The educational institution must be one of the following:
    • a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, trade or technical school, university or CEGEP (in Quebec);
    • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions;
    • a private secondary or post-secondary institution (in Quebec) offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to a diploma of vocational studies (DVS) or an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS); or
    • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees (i.e., bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, doctorate), but only if the student is enrolled in one of the programs of study leading to a degree, as authorized by the province, and not in just any program of study offered by the private institution.

Kapag public ka automatic pwede ka sa PGWP
Kung private ka naman yung course mo dapat degree program
At kung yung private nagooperate like a public institution (which is rare)
In short sa private parang 50-50 ka makakuha ng PGWP at hindi guarantee iyon

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
Hello. I just want to share that I've been reading this thread since April when I submitted my application. All your tips were a big help now that I got my approval just today, so thanks to all of you! I'll be starting my 2 years masters degree this September. :)

I thought I won't get my study permit approved because
(A) my husband is Canadian (we got married last year but did not opt for sponsorship visa) which, while reading other stories with similar situation as mine, is a big red flag because it would be hard to prove that you'll leave Canada at the end of your study;
(B) the course I applied for in Canada is different from my previous education degree and employments; and
(C) if I get approved, I might not receive it in time for Fall 2017 intake as I had to undergo a two-month culture test after they "found an irregularity" on my x-ray plate.

Here's my timeline:

26 April - application submitted online
2 May - medical exam requested
4 May - medical exam done
16-18 May - sputum and culture tests 3 consecutive days
20 July - culture test result: negative
7 Aug - repeat xray (there has to be 3 months gap from your 1st xray)
10 Aug - medical exam passed and at the same time, application approved and PPR :)

That's 16 weeks in total! o_OIf any of you have the same situation as mine, just message me and I'll be glad to share tips. Don't lose hope, it's still possible to get your application approved!

I'll drop off my passport at VFS on Monday. If any of you have tips on the next steps after PPR, please share away :) Thanks again for your helpful tips these past months!
Congrats!
Get that sponsorship going and you will do an inland application.
If you become a PR your tuition will be reduce by a lot.
It will kick in the next semester after you become a PR.

keeadum

Apr 27, 2017
Congrats!
Get that sponsorship going and you will do an inland application.
If you become a PR your tuition will be reduce by a lot.
It will kick in the next semester after you become a PR.
Thanks Kapatid! The University confirmed that I'm exempted from international tuition fee as I'm a spouse of a Canadian. I have to show them in person my passport, marriage certificate and study permit when I arrive in Toronto (di pa kami required magbayad ng tuition until I land). Yes, will do an inland application for PR next :)

Reactions: kapatid

mic-mic

May 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
April 8, 2015 (PASSED April 23)
Passport Req..
May 18, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
May 20, 2015
LANDED..........
July 2015

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
Thanks Kapatid! The University confirmed that I'm exempted from international tuition fee as I'm a spouse of a Canadian. I have to show them in person my passport, marriage certificate and study permit when I arrive in Toronto (di pa kami required magbayad ng tuition until I land). Yes, will do an inland application for PR next :)
Oh pwede pala yun.
Thats a good information.
Thanks.

Reactions: keeadum

sheiquiroga

Star Member
Mar 25, 2017
Magtatanong po sana ako kung meron dito na ang pinakitang bank account for show money na 11,000 cad ay hindi sa account nya kundi sa kapatid? At yung kapatid po e wala sa canada, nasa ibang bansa? Pede po ba yun or need na nasa account mo yung pera?

Make a sponsorship letter and then notarize it.

Reactions: Belle0725

terrier

Aug 10, 2017
Anyone here that applied student visa from the Philippines, been receive Letter of Acceptance from the school, and now ready for visa application. I had difficulties regarding my settlement fund / show money. Any idea about sponsorship? is it really required that your family will be your sponsror?Thanks in advance.

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
Anyone here that applied student visa from the Philippines, been receive Letter of Acceptance from the school, and now ready for visa application. I had difficulties regarding my settlement fund / show money. Any idea about sponsorship? is it really required that your family will be your sponsror?Thanks in advance.
Settlement fund is the the term for funds use to settle in Canada with regards to permanent residency.
Sponsorship is the term for sponsoring a family member. Example: Spousal sponsorship or Parental sponsorship.

If I understand your questions right, it will not matter much who will provide support for your education.
Be it an employer, family member or god father. It is NOT required that the funds for your education must come from the family member. Although it gives a little bit of edge if your parents will support you compared to a boyfriend/girlfriend.
The one who will support your education must show an affidavit of support, identification and the proof that they are capable of supporting you, like bank statement, bank certificate payslip or even notice of assessment. If they will provide you support for your 1st-year tuition fee then must show the fund in their bank account.

If you are providing the 1st year tuition fee and they will provide you the fund to support yourself (the $10,000) they need to provide the affidavit of support, some money in their bank account, Notice of assessment, proof of accommodation ( House title if they own the house or lease agreement if they own an appartment), anything that proves that they own a place to accommodate you.

Reactions: terrier