+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied a Student Permit from Philippines?

sweetnovember14

Aug 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Torque78 said:
I agree with hopeful & aly. I didn't mention where my husband & I will be staying(because we really don't know anybody in the place,but in God's graces, the Filipino community here & some locals are very good-hearted that they gave us stuff&furnitures!). But I think it's up to you to include that matter in ur SoP.
No limit of docus uploaded. Just classify documents you want to add in the correct section. And be careful with the upload file cap limit.
Good luck!

Sensya po,hindi palagi maka-visit sa forum, we haven't opted for an internet service in our new place(being budgety kc,wala pa kami nkikitang work ni mister ko).We have free internet @ school,though. The service is so fast,imagine how many students,staff&faculty users but mabilis pa din!
Thank you Torque78, noted and glad to hear about your wonderful stories from your community... stay blessed. :)

micmic

Star Member
Sep 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
April 8, 2015 (PASSED April 23)
Passport Req..
Praying for it!
Hello Kabayans!!! ;D

I've been an avid reader of this thread for quite sometime now and silently cheer, rejoice and get emotionally excited and affected for every highs and lows that the community members share. Parang reality TV lang ;)

Might as well share ours :p

We (me, wife and baby) just came back from Canada (Toronto) after more than a month of stay. After staying in the US, we went straight to Canada to have a direct comparison of how life will be. Turns out that we prefer the people, environment and atmosphere that Canada offers to start up families like us. I do hope that visiting their country prior to our application can add pogi points to the VO's eyes. So after a few internet searching, we came across this thread and are very thankful for the wealth of information made available by very helpful members. I originally wanted to get into a two-year Master's program at either Ryerson or York (Environmental Science) but the cost is very prohibitive for us :'( Ryerson emphasized that it was very competitive and last year, they only admitted 2 students from the international pool. York on the other hand, despite requiring students from the Philippines to have a Master's Degree prior to applying to any of their programs, was more accommodating. They said I qualify to apply via the "Non-standard Application". Still, the cost was the obstacle so we turned our eyes to their colleges and after a few campus tours, they seem to be ok. My two cousins graduated from York and then both did a post grad and then got a good job after so that's a bit of a consolation for me ;D

Like most, we're looking into 2- year post grad programs (for the WP afterwards) but seem to not find anything I really like. I'm an Economics grad and a business owner. I really wanted to venture into health/sports science but fear that it is totally unrelated to what I do (I'm in the printing industry). Multimedia Arts is something very related as we design for clients before we print them but I think I'm not that creative. So I guess I might end up with a business course. My heart says health related by my brain says either business or graphics.
It's very clear that we don't have a very concrete program to take yet (ang dami ko kasi interests na gusto aralin) but what's certain is that I'll be taking the IELTS. :'( Wish me luck!

Maybe the more experienced can suggest a program that I can tie into economics and printing? We'll be staying in the Toronto area is we we're granted visas :)

Lastly, I'm not sure sure if it was discussed before, but during back-reading, nothing was mentioned about using credit cards as show of funds. Let's say one has a credit card with a limit that can cover one's tuition fee. Can that also serve as ADDITIONAL proof of funds?

khoykhoy

Star Member
May 10, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi micmic!

Credit card balance is not acceptable as proof of funds. As what i know, bank savings acct ( whether under your name or sponsor's name) and scholarship are the only acceptable funds. Bank statements should be 4 months or the longer the better.

micmic

Star Member
Sep 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
Praying for it!
Thanks Khoykhoy! I just got curious since from what I read someone, other countries accept this as another proof of funds. I'll also be attending the Canada School fair this Oct 4th so I guess I'll see some of you there!

businessgirl2014

Star Member
Jul 7, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
12-09-2014
Med's Request
22-09-2014
micmic said:
Hello Kabayans!!! ;D

I've been an avid reader of this thread for quite sometime now and silently cheer, rejoice and get emotionally excited and affected for every highs and lows that the community members share. Parang reality TV lang ;)

Might as well share ours :p

We (me, wife and baby) just came back from Canada (Toronto) after more than a month of stay. After staying in the US, we went straight to Canada to have a direct comparison of how life will be. Turns out that we prefer the people, environment and atmosphere that Canada offers to start up families like us. I do hope that visiting their country prior to our application can add pogi points to the VO's eyes. So after a few internet searching, we came across this thread and are very thankful for the wealth of information made available by very helpful members. I originally wanted to get into a two-year Master's program at either Ryerson or York (Environmental Science) but the cost is very prohibitive for us :'( Ryerson emphasized that it was very competitive and last year, they only admitted 2 students from the international pool. York on the other hand, despite requiring students from the Philippines to have a Master's Degree prior to applying to any of their programs, was more accommodating. They said I qualify to apply via the "Non-standard Application". Still, the cost was the obstacle so we turned our eyes to their colleges and after a few campus tours, they seem to be ok. My two cousins graduated from York and then both did a post grad and then got a good job after so that's a bit of a consolation for me ;D

Like most, we're looking into 2- year post grad programs (for the WP afterwards) but seem to not find anything I really like. I'm an Economics grad and a business owner. I really wanted to venture into health/sports science but fear that it is totally unrelated to what I do (I'm in the printing industry). Multimedia Arts is something very related as we design for clients before we print them but I think I'm not that creative. So I guess I might end up with a business course. My heart says health related by my brain says either business or graphics.
It's very clear that we don't have a very concrete program to take yet (ang dami ko kasi interests na gusto aralin) but what's certain is that I'll be taking the IELTS. :'( Wish me luck!

Maybe the more experienced can suggest a program that I can tie into economics and printing? We'll be staying in the Toronto area is we we're granted visas :)

Lastly, I'm not sure sure if it was discussed before, but during back-reading, nothing was mentioned about using credit cards as show of funds. Let's say one has a credit card with a limit that can cover one's tuition fee. Can that also serve as ADDITIONAL proof of funds?
Hi there! ang masasabi ko lang, if you decide to enroll in a course that is not related to your previous studies, you should be able to write a strong SOP explaining your decision.. :)

micmic

Star Member
Sep 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
Praying for it!
Thanks for the tip businessgirl2014 :) I'm thinking that taking a business related course or computer graphics will be the natural progression for my education since I'm a small business owner and we usually design the materials that clients need. Either course will improve skills specific to our business needs I guess. However, I want to have a career change and that's where meshing things up will be a challenge. I personally wanted to study Sustainable/Renewable energy or Spatial analysis but they're way too off from my current background. ;D So right now, I'm looking into something that can serve as a compromise (if it makes sense hehe). Ultimately, I'll just have to follow my relatives' advice: "Basta kahit ano program basta makabalik ka dito" ;D

Lapit na yung Canada fair! For those going, mga what time kayo? Maybe we can meet up? Just let me know :)

humdrumdum

Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VAC, Paper-based)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2013
Med's Request
05-08-2013
Med's Done....
12-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
@micmic: Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Interesting scenario you have there! It's nice that you like it here in Canada, and I would have to agree with you! I think Canada is indeed very accommodating to young couples/families who wish to emigrate.

Post-grad admissions in Canada is really tough, especially with a credential from the Philippines. The only universities that I know of who don't impose the rule about having a Master's degree to get a Master's degree are McGill University in Montreal and University of Western Ontario in London, ON. Have you considered getting a post-grad certificate instead? From doing a little research, maybe you'd be interested in Ryerson's Certificate in Design Management, just to have a little bit of both business and design (although from the sound of it, it's more business-ey). Some other programs that come to mind are Industrial Design and Interactive Design, but those might be more on the design side though.

I'm not sure about this but maybe what you can do for now is get admitted into a program that's related to your background so that you can secure a study permit, see if you like it, otherwise I believe you have the option to change programs once you're settled in Canada.

I'm in the West actually so I'm not very familiar with schools in the East, but after spending a few weeks in Ottawa and a few more in Montreal, I can really say that 1) WINTERS ARE BRUTAL so prepare well for it, and 2) the people are really different (not as much Asians for sure).

Just do a lot of research on the schools in the Study in Canada Fair, since most of the participants are small colleges. Nothing against colleges, especially if you're on a tight budget, but some of them are the really obscure ones that charge just as much tuition as the more reputable schools. If you're leaning towards the sciences, try going for polytechnics since they are a little less than a university but is definitely above a college, and their teaching style usually focuses more on the practical aspect of the discipline in order to better prepare you for work.

Sep 8, 2014
humdrumdum said:
@ gimikangtravelera:

If you would want to consider it, I personally know a friend who is applying to work as an Occupational Therapist in the US and she says the slots are always full. But no one really applies for Canada so it's almost guaranteed that you can get in if you try. She already has a degree and experience in the Philippines, but from her experience and mine here in Vancouver, there really is an apparent demand for OTs. From what I know of it, it could be related to Psychology and Canadians really make an effort to make sure that their employees are well taken care of, especially in terms of workplace safety. It's a high paying job, especially if you manage to work for the government. Although there is no diploma program for it, if you're looking for a degree to pursue, this is just my two cents. :)
Hey Hum! Just been a little bit busy lately so I wasn't able to reply kagad. I'm also self-studying for my Ielts Speaking later (I feel like I'm gonna die na HAHA). Thank you again for being very accommodating with all my questions.

I looked into OT but it feels like it's gonna be super expensive. Sana man lang meron syang kahit diploma muna haha! I'm really interested sa OT profession, though. Just the sound of it, mukang in-demand nga at profitable! :)

Oh and I'll keep in mind what you said about the Canada Study Fair, yung to look for polytechnics. As much as possible kasi I want it to be more practical, hindi masyadong theoretical.

Sep 8, 2014
micmic said:
Thanks for the tip businessgirl2014 :) I'm thinking that taking a business related course or computer graphics will be the natural progression for my education since I'm a small business owner and we usually design the materials that clients need. Either course will improve skills specific to our business needs I guess. However, I want to have a career change and that's where meshing things up will be a challenge. I personally wanted to study Sustainable/Renewable energy or Spatial analysis but they're way too off from my current background. ;D So right now, I'm looking into something that can serve as a compromise (if it makes sense hehe). Ultimately, I'll just have to follow my relatives' advice: "Basta kahit ano program basta makabalik ka dito" ;D

Lapit na yung Canada fair! For those going, mga what time kayo? Maybe we can meet up? Just let me know :)
Hey Micmic!

I'm actually going to the Canada Study Fair. Let's meet up! I'm going with my boyfriend din (he has been in Canada for more than 25 years na. He's going back sa November) kaya we're making the necessary preparations sa pagpunta ko dun. Maybe he can tell you more about living there, etc. Ielts speaking ko actually later! Haha then sa Saturday yung part 2: listening, reading and writing.

I'm taking Humdrumdum's advice too (she needs to put up her own business or we pay her or something LOL), to get a 2-year diploma or maybe an advanced diploma. Then PGWP.

sweetnovember14

Aug 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
micmic said:

Hello micmic, welcome to the forum. our kababayan here are all so helpful, heaven sent talaga.

My comments on your situation, I think taking business related course would be your best bet. However, I agree with businessgirl that if it's not related... a strong SOP to justify your course will help. Also, baka makakuha ka ng info about course sa Canada Fair, mas better. Good luck and God bless sa atin all :).

sweetnovember14

Aug 26, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone :).

I have a question about the TRV. Separate ba yun application nito sa study permit? I plan to apply online for the study permit, automatic na ba yun application sa TRV or you need to apply separately? Pls. Help.

Salamat po.

aly911

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 30, 2014/August 1, 2014
Med's Request
July 2, 2014
Med's Done....
July 14, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
August 14, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
sweetnovember14 said:
Hello everyone :).

I have a question about the TRV. Separate ba yun application nito sa study permit? I plan to apply online for the study permit, automatic na ba yun application sa TRV or you need to apply separately? Pls. Help.

Salamat po.
Hello.. Nope, same application na lng dn un. Tho you have to download, fill up, and upload it again sa specific tab for trv before submitting the application. :)

micmic

Star Member
Sep 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
Praying for it!
humdrumdum said:
@ micmic: Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Interesting scenario you have there! It's nice that you like it here in Canada, and I would have to agree with you! I think Canada is indeed very accommodating to young couples/families who wish to emigrate.

Post-grad admissions in Canada is really tough, especially with a credential from the Philippines. The only universities that I know of who don't impose the rule about having a Master's degree to get a Master's degree are McGill University in Montreal and University of Western Ontario in London, ON. Have you considered getting a post-grad certificate instead? From doing a little research, maybe you'd be interested in Ryerson's Certificate in Design Management, just to have a little bit of both business and design (although from the sound of it, it's more business-ey). Some other programs that come to mind are Industrial Design and Interactive Design, but those might be more on the design side though.

I'm not sure about this but maybe what you can do for now is get admitted into a program that's related to your background so that you can secure a study permit, see if you like it, otherwise I believe you have the option to change programs once you're settled in Canada.

I'm in the West actually so I'm not very familiar with schools in the East, but after spending a few weeks in Ottawa and a few more in Montreal, I can really say that 1) WINTERS ARE BRUTAL so prepare well for it, and 2) the people are really different (not as much Asians for sure).

Just do a lot of research on the schools in the Study in Canada Fair, since most of the participants are small colleges. Nothing against colleges, especially if you're on a tight budget, but some of them are the really obscure ones that charge just as much tuition as the more reputable schools. If you're leaning towards the sciences, try going for polytechnics since they are a little less than a university but is definitely above a college, and their teaching style usually focuses more on the practical aspect of the discipline in order to better prepare you for work.
Hey humdrumdum! Thanks for the inputs! I did check some colleges in ON and found that Humber and Sheridan have programs that are very related to my background. Humber for example, have Global Business Management; however, a quick search here reveals a lot of bad feed back from the students so I'm still undecided on that one. Sheridan has this graphics diploma program (forgot the program code) that could further enhance the efficiency of our business. I'm leaning towards the graphics design but I might also jump to another one incase I don't find the program suitable to my needs. If you think about the cost, a two-year post grad's tuition is almost equivalent to a master's with a one-year duration. What's nice about the colleges in ON though is that the staff are very friendly and prompt even in replying to emails (and we all know why :p ) Ryerson on the other hand tend to take a lot of time before replying. Buti pa si York, mabilis sumagot ;D

Question : Post secondary education is anything above highschool right? So even a diploma for example can make you eligible for CEC?

Hi gimikerangtravelera! I'm scheduled for IELTS on the 10th and 11th. Mahirap ba? We just got back from Canada so no time to review pa kasi dami inaasikaso dito (our baby is still trying to adjust with the weather, ako and si missis, ganun din). Kakadowload ko pa lang ng reviewer ;D I'll be at the fair by 10am siguro. What time kayo?

Hi sweetnovember14! I'll share whatever info I gather from the fair. I think I met the organizer before (girl who work for British Council before then eventually put up her own thing) and try to ask if she has some advice and tips for us :)

wondergirl1992

Sep 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9-26-14
Med's Request
9-29-14
Med's Done....
10-1-14 transmitted 10-9-14
Passport Req..
10-15-14
VISA ISSUED...
10-23-25
LANDED..........
soon...
Hi guys. I just submitted my sp app today and now im overthinking (more like panicking) because i forgot to attach my academic records during my online application... will this be a ground for refusal?

wondergirl1992

Sep 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9-26-14
Med's Request
9-29-14
Med's Done....
10-1-14 transmitted 10-9-14