+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied a Student Permit from Philippines?

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
humdrumdum said:
@ hardworkinglady:
Hi!

Here's a rough outline of what I wrote on my study plan:
  • Why you're going to study in Canada
  • How is it related to your educational background and/or future goals
  • Reassurance that you are going to Canada JUST TO STUDY. Realistically, we all know we might work once we're here, but you need to convince them that that is not your intention.
  • Support this by stating your reasons for coming back in the Philippines. What are the existing ties that you have here?

@ Krishessss:

Hello! I have heard of Seneca but given that I'm in BC, I don't really know anyone there... Generally, colleges are okay if you want to get your foot in the door. Most employers understand if you have a degree from your home country but went here to just get a certificate or a degree from a college. It's a quick way to get Canadian credentials but for some schools (like BCIT huhu), workload can be pretty tough. It's usually course-specific but since you more or less finish in 2 years, they usually fill your workload to the brim. Right now, I'm taking 40 units in my second term because my program finishes in 2 years. I've heard from nursing students that it's also pretty tough for them (especially if your school has a renowned nursing program). However, if you already have a past background, it should be much easier for you.

If you decide to permanently stay in Canada eventually, you might want to invest in continuing education. Diplomas are useful for entry-level jobs but most people do not want that for the rest of their life. A diploma will rarely get you there, and employers do not usually consider foreign credentials, kahit galing ka pang UP, Ateneo, o La Salle. If you want to get a higher ranking job, you will eventually need to get a Canadian degree :)

I suggest to take the IELTS instead. Taking extra classes in Canada just for English can be quite costly, because you have to pay for your living expenses aside from tuition, when you can enroll in review classes in the Philippines for the fraction of the cost. All I actually did was to download free reviewer sets online and dedicated about two weeks full-time on reviewing. It really helps but it does require a lot of your time and effort. :)
Hi humdrumdum what course are you taking in BCIT?

starlettedouze

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
07-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
frustratedcanadian said:
Hi starlettedouze!

Wow visa approved for the 3 of you? Congrats! Will submit my application soon.. same as yours, SP for me, OWP for hubby and SP/TRV for my daughter (I am quite confused with this because I have read in the CIC site that my daughter do not need a student permit) Anyway, did u submit ALL ORIGINAL documents and were these returned back to you? would u mind posting all the documents u submitted so we can have an idea :) and your background na rin if its ok :)

Medyo takot lang ako because my family are all in Canada baka ma-deny because of that. :(
Hi frustratedcanadian, yes we did submit original documents and everything was returned to us :) Quick background is I've been working for the past 12 years (graduated college in 2002), most recent experience is in the banking industry. I will be taking a 2-year diploma course in business administration. My mom, who is already a Canadian citizen, is our primary sponsor. We submitted her financial docs as proof of support. For funds, we had a total of CAD 18k for the 3 us, just enough to meet the requirements.

Documents would be birth/marriage certificates, bank certs and statements (include properties if applicable), COE from past and present employers for both me and hubby, schools records such as diploma, transcripts since high school, supporting docs of my mom, NBI clearance, study plan and letter of acceptance. I think that's it :)

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
starlettedouze said:
Hi frustratedcanadian, yes we did submit original documents and everything was returned to us :) Quick background is I've been working for the past 12 years (graduated college in 2002), most recent experience is in the banking industry. I will be taking a 2-year diploma course in business administration. My mom, who is already a Canadian citizen, is our primary sponsor. We submitted her financial docs as proof of support. For funds, we had a total of CAD 18k for the 3 us, just enough to meet the requirements.

Documents would be birth/marriage certificates, bank certs and statements (include properties if applicable), COE from past and present employers for both me and hubby, schools records such as diploma, transcripts since high school, supporting docs of my mom, NBI clearance, study plan and letter of acceptance. I think that's it :)
Oh wow! How long did the processing take? And are you attending September intake? I am pretty scared bec all my family are in CA baka they will take this against me but after reading your story, Medyo gumaan pakiramdam ko hehe :) Did u have to submit a notarized affidavit of support from your mom?

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
Hello!

My son just received his student visa. We applied in January and got approval last March 6. He is 13 years old.

I want to ask what are the next step after receiving the visa?

Does he need to attend a seminar or something?

I want him to come here in Canada by April. :)

Thank you so much in advance!

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
charmainefrances said:
Hello!

My son just received his student visa. We applied in January and got approval last March 6. He is 13 years old.

Congratulations! Did u submit a paper based application?

HopefulAngel

Star Member
Jul 3, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Makati City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-20-2016
LANDED..........
12-08-2013
Mia A S said:
Hi!

For those who already got their study permit and are already studying in canada, would you know if kailangan pa ba mag apply ng work permit if before ka umabot ng 6 mos mo dito, mapasa na yung ammendment sa study permit holders na pwede na magwork off campus kahit wala pa 6 mos basta valid ang study permit?

kasi i got here in canada last january. sa june 1 applicable na yung ammendment na all student permit holders are now eligible to work off campus without needing to apply for an off campus work permit. ngayon nagwowonder ako kung kailangan ko pa mag apply separately or kung yung current na student visa ko will suffice na and kung pwede na ba ako mag apply sa mga off campus jobs
Hello,

I haven't read any info regarding the amendment, but I did email my school about it. They mentioned I don't need to apply for an OCWP if I decided to just work in June. You could probably email your school as well and maybe verify it? Would love to hear what your school would say about it! Thanks!

HA

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
hello! We submitted paper application through VFS Manila

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
charmainefrances said:
hello! We submitted paper application through VFS Manila
Did u submit original docs and were these returned back to you?

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
Yes we did submit original documents like birthcertificate, original employment certificate and these were all returned.

starlettedouze

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
07-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
charmainefrances said:
Hello!

Hi charmainefrances, congratulations! Next step is to book a flight :p I don't think he needs to attend any seminar/orientation.

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
starlettedouze said:
Hi charmainefrances, congratulations! Next step is to book a flight :p I don't think he needs to attend any seminar/orientation.
tHANK YOU! ;)

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
dbc said:
Hi everyone!

Need a little help from the seniors here :), I plan to apply for SP this fall intake and OWP for my husband. Do I also need to apply for SP for my daughter (5yo)? By the way, we already have multiple entry visa and we have been to Toronto last 2012 and last year December. My daughter's visa will expire this year month of October. And would cad$20,000 be sufficient na showmoney? Also, wala akong ielts, kase I have chosen to take an english exam at centennial college. Makakaapekto ba kung walang ielts? or do I really need to take the exam?
Thank you.
Hi dbc! :) Have you lodged your application already? We are in the same situation. We were also in Canada last year on a single entry TRV. Anywaaaay, I have asked around regarding this, I actually talked to an immigration consultant and according to him no need for a study permit for my 6yo daughter because you only need to show the school your student permit then she can go to school without having the SP.

Btw, how long is the course you're planning to take?

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
Hello guys!

I have a question to ask! :)

My son, has been approved for SP last week while our PR application is being processed under spousal sponsorship inland. Anyway, my dilemma is that, I am pretty sure that CEM will soon request his passport for our pr application.

My question is, if he is already here in Canada when cem request his passport,should i just send the passport from here to the Philippines via courier? Is that the right procedure? Or should i let them know that he is already in canada and probably just send the passport to the local cic office?

What is the right procedure for this? Thank u in advance!

dbc

Star Member
Feb 4, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/03/2016
AOR Received.
23-3-2016
Med's Done....
Feb. 2016
frustratedcanadian said:
Hi dbc! :) Have you lodged your application already? We are in the same situation. We were also in Canada last year on a single entry TRV. Anywaaaay, I have asked around regarding this, I actually talked to an immigration consultant and according to him no need for a study permit for my 6yo daughter because you only need to show the school your student permit then she can go to school without having the SP.

Btw, how long is the course you're planning to take?
Hi there!! I am submitting my documents today, wish me luck!:) I applied SP for my daughter and OWP for mu husband. It is a 2 semester course. What about you? when do you plan to submit your application?

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
dbc said:
Hi there!! I am submitting my documents today, wish me luck!:) I applied SP for my daughter and OWP for mu husband. It is a 2 semester course. What about you? when do you plan to submit your application?
Hi! May I know who advised you to apply SP for your daughter? I will lodge everything nextweek probably wednesday. Did you submit it online?