+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied a Student Permit from Philippines?

lopi14

Star Member
Aug 19, 2012
Category........
ONLINE APPLICATION via SDS
DIY AND NO AGENT

BACKGROUND:
-I have a bachelor’s degree in IT
-I’m a software quality engineer (SQE or Software Tester) for three years
-I applied for a Technical Writing Graduate Certificate at Seneca College (May intake and no other intake available) since most of my job as an SQE was to create technical documents from the projects that I handled before.

1ST APPLICATION TIMELINE:
April 11 - Wired my 10k CAD to my GIC account
April 15 - Did an upfront medical at St. Lukes BGC but I have to return on April 23 for Urine Test (because I just had my period recently nevertheless they already provided the E-Medical form and was told that I could submit it on my application online)
April 16 - Received my GIC Investment Directions
April 20 - Submitted my application online via SDS (DIY)
April 21 - Biometrics request
April 23 - Biometrics done / Done with Upfront medical (Urine Test)
May 3 - Medical Passed
May 10 - Start of Reviewing Eligibility
May 20 - Denied due to the following reasons:
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the limited employment prospects in your country of residence.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your current employment situation.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.

I believe that it’s also my fault why I was denied for this application. I did not consider the time it takes to process my application (My semester starts last May 6 by then) and I lack in some of my documents hence the refusal. So I decided to re-apply for the second time with different school and course, stronger SOP, and additional supporting documents. I applied for Software and Systems Information Testing Grad Cert at Fanshawe College (Sept intake) since it’s more connected to my degree and working experience.

2ND APPLICATION TIMELINE:
June 23 - Submitted my application online via SDS (DIY)
PS: I did not mentioned that I was refused on my 1st application, but I used the same GCKey account in submitting this one.
July 9 - Ghost update passed the medical exam
PS: I used the same E-medical form from my 1st application
July 25 - Biometrics correspondence letter and Passport Request letter
July 30 - GCKey account updated my profile as “APPROVED.”

SOP KEY POINTS: (I followed this key points from one of us here in this thread, if I remembered it correctly I think his username is somewhat called "roger"? Thank you, Sir! This helped my application big time!)
* My background: Took up Aeronautical Engineering in college but work experience for the past 22 years are solid IT (from systems and network administration to software/application development and project management)
* Objective: What I plan to achieve. Why I want to study in Canada
* Why Canada: Less expensive than other countries such as AU, NZ or USA. Great peace and order situation. Multicultural.
* Why Durham College and UOIT: I only applied at DC and UOIT, so I was able to highlight their qualities.
* Career progression: How my intended program will help in my future career growth in my home country
* Declaration: that I will abide by all the conditions, rules and regulation of the SP should I be approved. That I intend to finish my program the soonest possible time and go back to my home country. That, should my SP be revoked by IRCC, I will leave Canada immediately.

DOCUMENTS I SUBMITTED FOR MY 2ND APPLICATION:
1. Under Recent Education Transcript
- TOR from college
- College diploma
- Recommendation Letter from our City Hall since I was a scholar of them for four straight years back in college
- COE, ITRs for three years, payroll summary for the year 2018, training certificates

2. Under Proof of GIC
- GIC Investment Direction with proof of wire transfer receipt
- Two bank certificate
- One bank statement for six months (di ko na kinuhaan yung isang account na maliit lang ang laman kasi galing din yun sa isa kong account haha para kunyare marami account)
- Credit Card statement of account for 3 month
- My Investment policy with receipt
- My Life Insurance policy with receipt
- Mortgage Contract of my apartment

3. Under proof of Tuition Payment
- Receipt from School and Proof of Wire Transfer
- Letter of Support / Sponsorship Letter, with sponsor’s Passport, Bank Statements, and ITR

4. IELTS Results
5. Copy of Passport’s bio page, stamps, and visa (Include your old Passport if applicable)
6. Letter of Admission from your school
7. Canadian Visa Standard Photo (35mm x 45 mm)
8. E-Medical Information Sheet (from St. Lukes)

9. Under Optional Document
- Letter of Intent / Statement of Purpose
- NBI

I hope this will help future applicants! If I can do it, you can too! God bless us all. :)
Congrats!

lilliecutie

Star Member
Jul 17, 2019
Manila
Question po and off-topic ulet. For those who were approved, do you have an accomodation already or do you guys intend to seek one when you get there? Wala pa kasi akong matitirahan and ang hirap maghanap lalo na kung wala ka pa sa Canada dahil yung mga landlord, first come first serve yung basis nila. Eh ang hirap naman magtiwala, magpa-reserve, at mag-down payment kung hindi mo pa nakikita personally yung lugar diba? Another question, pwede bang magbook muna ako ng airbnb/hotel then saka ako maghahanap ng permanent apartment to rent once I get there? Hindi kaya ako questionin ng immigration sa Canada? Maraming salamat po in advance.
Yes that’s what most usually do. They book a hotel or airbnb for a couple days. Then they seek the assistance of the school to help them look for housing. Meron naman po usually committee sa uni/college that assists international students when it comes to transitioning into their lives in Canada.

Wenci

Jul 7, 2019
Hi! Pahelp naman.

Magaapply kasi ako ng SDS sana sa October, ang problema ko eh hindi ako makakapagpamedical agad kasi asa Canada ako from mid August to mid October, okay lang ba magpaupfront medical na ngayon early August para diretso upload na ng files?

Thank you!

lilliecutie

Star Member
Jul 17, 2019
Manila
Hi! Pahelp naman.

Magaapply kasi ako ng SDS sana sa October, ang problema ko eh hindi ako makakapagpamedical agad kasi asa Canada ako from mid August to mid October, okay lang ba magpaupfront medical na ngayon early August para diretso upload na ng files?

Thank you!
That should be okay since from what I read in the IRCC’s questionnaire that determined the type of application (regular vs SDS) that I should submit, one question went (not verbatim, but something like this), “Do you have proof of medical exam in the last year?” Or “Have you had a medical exam done at an accredited clinic/with an accredited physician in the last year?” That’s how I remember it, albeit vaguely.

Last edited:

aciremep

Apr 21, 2019
Yes that’s what most usually do. They book a hotel or airbnb for a couple days. Then they seek the assistance of the school to help them look for housing. Meron naman po usually committee sa uni/college that assists international students when it comes to transitioning into their lives in Canada.
Thank you for your response, it's very helpful po. :)

Reactions: lilliecutie

lilliecutie

Star Member
Jul 17, 2019
Manila
Hi! Pahelp naman.

Thank you!
I have noticed (but I’m no immigration expert) though that the longer you stay in a foreign country, the more they speculate probability of the traveler not having enough compelling reason/s (strong family ties, a job, etc.) to go back or stay in his/her home country. The States and Canada are quite similar when it comes to how they assess applications, and 2-3 months of vacationing in their country is usually viewed as “too long” by the Embassy even if they give you more than that usually (the States, for instance, typically gives 6 months max stay per visit). But of course, it would depend on how you’ll defend why you were in Canada for that length of time prior to applying for a study permit.

Last edited:

Wenci

Jul 7, 2019
That should be okay since from what I read in the IRCC’s questionnaire that determined the type of application (regular vs SDS) that I should submit, one question went (not verbatim, but something like this), “Do you have proof of medical exam in the last year?” Or “Have you had a medical exam done at an accredited clinic/with an accredited physician in the last year?” That’s how I remember it, albeit vaguely.
Okay thanks nung nagtanong kasi ako sa agent sabi 1 week ang expiration ng upfront medical kaya nagtaka ako

Wenci

Jul 7, 2019
I have noticed (but I’m no immigration expert) though that the longer you stay in a foreign country, the more they speculate probability of the traveler not having enough compelling reason/s (strong family ties, a job, etc.) to go back or stay in his/her home country. The States and Canada are quite similar when it comes to how they assess applications, and 2-3 months of vacationing in their country is usually viewed as “too long” by the Embassy even if they give you more than that usually (the States, for instance, typically give 6 months max stay per visit). But of course, it would depend on how you’ll defend why you were in Canada for that length of time prior to applying for a study permit.
Oh thank you for the info! May certification exam kasi ako ng October kaya kailangang magbyahe ng maaga para makaprepare though balik din ako after ng exams, bigla akong kinabahan pag magaapply na ako ng study permit pagkabalik hahaha.

Reactions: lilliecutie