+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied a Student Permit from Philippines?

scorpio1641

Apr 12, 2014
Visa Office......
VFS Cebu
App. Filed.......
16-02-2015
Med's Request
17-02-2015 / Med. Furtherance Request: 09-03-2015
Med's Done....
26-02-2015 / Furtherance Done: 10-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-07-2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2015
Hi mga expert @scorpio1641 , thanks sa mga comments ninyo. Mga 50 pages plang nbbasa ko rito.
Kindly cite an example "things do NOT work in Canada". (pasenya na, medyo complex sa akin, hehe)
Sa mga OFW with long work experience, sa SOP medyo mahirap mag reason out iyung continuous employment sa Philippines. Ksi in reality mastaas pa rin ang Average Salary ng nasa abroad compare sa Pinas. Position to consider is either supervisory or managerial level. Would it be a good reason for coming back to Philippines eh to start a business plus you will share or practice the knowledge and experience in Canada (guest prof sa school o guest speaker sa business). Would you think, they will be a strong SOP.
For example, in the remote possibility na hindi mo makuha yung post grad work permit o yung PR mo after three years, may babalikan ka pa ba sa Pilipinas? So important na-I relate mo yung course mo sa work history mo/career at na may ties ka sa Pilipinas.

As for OFWs, mas challenging to establish that kasi you haven't lived in the Philippines for a while. Pero you should be ok if you've worked continuously, and have property/finances/family left in the Philippines. Oo okay yan na sabihin mo you want to come back to the Philippines to start a business, but everything has to make sense. For example, engineer ka and then you plan to start a hospital business, tas yung course mo eh culinary, it doesn't make sense. So dapat related lahat.

yelaramos

Jul 2, 2017
Hi! I applied for a study permit together with my husband and 2 kids last June 14, 2017. I submitted via VFS Global/ Paper Application, up to now I have not heard from IRCC, I only got a confirmation email from VFS that my application has been forwarded to the Canadian Embassy last June 15. Is this normal not to have an update regarding my application? I submitted upfront medical exam too and gave all our passports. I'm a little bit anxious and scared. Hope someone can enlighten me. Thanks!

Reactions: dyannebansal

Cevzsky

Feb 21, 2017

Hello, hello!

Finally, I received my approval nung June 29.. Thank God! Second application ko na to, I applied on 23-May, online. It took 37days processing. In-process na ang visa stamping ko ngayon. I quoted my post about sa refusal ko nung first app and I would like to share how I explained para makatulong sa mga mag-apply p lang.

Quick background: I'm currently working in SG (approx 6 years) and worked previously in Dubai (approx 3 years), so almost 10years na ko OFW. I'm married, no kids yet, may business si mister sa pinas so dun sya naka-based. I have a degree in chemistry but I'm taking up a diploma course in applied chemistry sa SAIT Calgary, Alberta. Continuous employment history, all related to chemistry. Enough funds to cover 1 yr tuition and 1 year expenses.

I tackled my refusals one by one. As in itemized and bullet format para di tamarin ang VO magbasa.

1. Travel history

- We prioritize to invest our money (my salary included) sa business ni mister.
- My work doesn't allow me to take long break. Usually, my leave is spent sa pinas with my family
- Patronize local tourism. Madaming magandang lugar sa pinas, dun kami madalas mag-tour with the family
- We believe in delayed gratification. Ipon muna, bago mag-travel ng bongga. Char! :)

2. Immigration status in country of residence :

- I don't intend to stay in SG for a long time. Uuwi din ako sa pinas eventually kaya di pa ako PR.
- I also highlighted that I am a legal resident in singapore with valid work visa with no criminal record (although, sinabi ko rin to sa first app ko)

3. Family ties

- I applied alone for my second application. Ngayong approve na ko, apply ko naman husband ko.

4. Purpose of visit

- I justified that this course will help me in my career progression.
- Gumawa ako ng table with course comparison across Asia, SG, Australia & Canada. I included factors like course duration, cost, relevance sa career goals, etc. Ang conclusion ng table, SAIT is the best option for me because of all these factors combined. Para mukhang nag-isip talaga ako. haha!
- I highlighted details ng diploma course such as "paid co-op work", high-tech instruments, small size class, accreditation nila sa gov't agencies in Canada and reasonable course duration (2 years). Kaya its worth spending money sa course na ito.

5. Employment prospects in country of residence

- I submitted letters of recommendation from my previous bosses (in SG and Dubai) saying na interested sila to discuss future career opportunities after my study. Just a simple letter signed by them in the company letterhead. Scanned copy lang, not notarized whatsoever. Note lang, I also included this in my first application. Sinama ko lang ulit sa second app.
- I searched for some job opportunities in pinas. In my case, science field kasi ako, so sinabi ko yung Balik Scientist program ng DOST. You can find one that suits you. Show some patriotism here. :)

Additional points:

- Read, listen, watch... Dito sa forum or sa mga immigration podcast or videos. You can check this website for podcast and useful articles. http://www.canadianimmigrationpodcast.com/

- If na-reject ka, get CAIPS immediately! Dun mo tlaga makikita kung ano ang reason why you got a refusal. You can deal with the factors accordingly. If you haven't applied yet, APPLY EARLY! Para may time mag-request ng CAIPS. It usually take a month to receive. Time can be your best friend or your worst enemy.

- Iba iba ang timpla ng mga VO sa bawat country, so you have to know what factors weigh the most for them. Sadly, this is based on experience kasi hindi naman to nakasulat sa cic website. You still need to comply to the basic info needed in SOP. In our case dito sa SG, travel history and ties sa home country (kasi nga OFW) ang nakikita naming important so far.

- Remember to emphasize that you understand what it entails to be a temporary resident in Canada such as you will follow the conditions and respect the boundaries of your permit, you will not be a burden or risk in Canada and most important, you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized visit; will not overstay or break any immigration law. THIS IS IMPORTANT.

- Find applicants from same country of residence and if possible, create your own small group. We have that here in SG. Bukod dito s forum at sa FB page, those people helped a lot para ma-approve ang application ko. We share ideas na applicable sa SG applicants, compare and criticize SOP, learn do's and don't, meet up and gimik din pag minsan. Hehe! More brains, better!

Four applicants in a row na ang na-approve dito sa SG since last month. Sana tuloy tuloy na para sa ibang applicants! Nahuli na ata namin ang kiliti ng SG VO. Hehe!

Sa mga taga-SAIT or Calgary area, kaway kaway! Sana makapag-meet up tayo pag anjan na!

Sorry for the long post. Sana makatulong sa inyo! God bless everyone! Happy Canada Day! :)
hi po pwede po humingi ng SOP po ninyo? princessjoybutche@yahoo.com

Cevzsky

Feb 21, 2017
Hi! I applied for a study permit together with my husband and 2 kids last June 14, 2017. I submitted via VFS Global/ Paper Application, up to now I have not heard from IRCC, I only got a confirmation email from VFS that my application has been forwarded to the Canadian Embassy last June 15. Is this normal not to have an update regarding my application? I submitted upfront medical exam too and gave all our passports. I'm a little bit anxious and scared. Hope someone can enlighten me. Thanks!

hi po pwede po makahingi ng SOP ninyo? princessjoybutche@yahoo.com. thank you po

NearlyLucid

Star Member
Sep 10, 2013
Hi! Have you linked your account to the online CIC portal? It might be a way for you to keep track of the progress of your application. I'm no expert, but I've read about people who made a paper based application and linked it to their online account to track the progress. If you did your medical upfront, the first update on your application would usually be whether you passed your medicals. The waiting is really nerve-wracking but hang in there. :)

uzumakinaruto

Star Member
Feb 11, 2017
Question po...
My passpowrt wll expire next year... im planning to have my passport renewed before aco umalis pra wala na din acong problema next year sa pag renew dun sa Canada... my question is i-honor ba ng IO sa port of entry ung visa co sa old passport since may butas na ito?

Thanks guys!

actually I already made a research and it says na pwede naman at walang problema kaya lang i just wanted to get another confirmation from other people... Thanks!

Last edited:

bob_atron

Jun 28, 2017
Philippines
Hi. Any word on your application? We will be doing the same thing anytime soon as well. Hope you got word na :)

bob_atron

Jun 28, 2017
Philippines
For those who submitted via paper application, were all documents returned whether you were accepted or not? CIC.GC.CA says they will but I just want to find out if they actually do as it would be burdensome for a re-application if your documents are lacking.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5269ETOC.asp

Has anyone also used the GIC program of Scotiabank where you make a Can$10,000 deposit in your account in Canada? In the June 17 orientation held at Ortigas, they said it would somehow speed up applications and maybe even increase one's chances for acceptance. :) Many thanks in advance and God bless you.

http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,6553,00.html

Last edited:

vic691

May 29, 2017

Hello, hello!

Finally, I received my approval nung June 29.. Thank God! Second application ko na to, I applied on 23-May, online. It took 37days processing. In-process na ang visa stamping ko ngayon. I quoted my post about sa refusal ko nung first app and I would like to share how I explained para makatulong sa mga mag-apply p lang.

Quick background: I'm currently working in SG (approx 6 years) and worked previously in Dubai (approx 3 years), so almost 10years na ko OFW. I'm married, no kids yet, may business si mister sa pinas so dun sya naka-based. I have a degree in chemistry but I'm taking up a diploma course in applied chemistry sa SAIT Calgary, Alberta. Continuous employment history, all related to chemistry. Enough funds to cover 1 yr tuition and 1 year expenses.

I tackled my refusals one by one. As in itemized and bullet format para di tamarin ang VO magbasa.

1. Travel history

- We prioritize to invest our money (my salary included) sa business ni mister.
- My work doesn't allow me to take long break. Usually, my leave is spent sa pinas with my family
- Patronize local tourism. Madaming magandang lugar sa pinas, dun kami madalas mag-tour with the family
- We believe in delayed gratification. Ipon muna, bago mag-travel ng bongga. Char! :)

2. Immigration status in country of residence :

- I don't intend to stay in SG for a long time. Uuwi din ako sa pinas eventually kaya di pa ako PR.
- I also highlighted that I am a legal resident in singapore with valid work visa with no criminal record (although, sinabi ko rin to sa first app ko)

3. Family ties

- I applied alone for my second application. Ngayong approve na ko, apply ko naman husband ko.

4. Purpose of visit

- I justified that this course will help me in my career progression.
- Gumawa ako ng table with course comparison across Asia, SG, Australia & Canada. I included factors like course duration, cost, relevance sa career goals, etc. Ang conclusion ng table, SAIT is the best option for me because of all these factors combined. Para mukhang nag-isip talaga ako. haha!
- I highlighted details ng diploma course such as "paid co-op work", high-tech instruments, small size class, accreditation nila sa gov't agencies in Canada and reasonable course duration (2 years). Kaya its worth spending money sa course na ito.

5. Employment prospects in country of residence

- I submitted letters of recommendation from my previous bosses (in SG and Dubai) saying na interested sila to discuss future career opportunities after my study. Just a simple letter signed by them in the company letterhead. Scanned copy lang, not notarized whatsoever. Note lang, I also included this in my first application. Sinama ko lang ulit sa second app.
- I searched for some job opportunities in pinas. In my case, science field kasi ako, so sinabi ko yung Balik Scientist program ng DOST. You can find one that suits you. Show some patriotism here. :)

Additional points:

- Read, listen, watch... Dito sa forum or sa mga immigration podcast or videos. You can check this website for podcast and useful articles. http://www.canadianimmigrationpodcast.com/

- If na-reject ka, get CAIPS immediately! Dun mo tlaga makikita kung ano ang reason why you got a refusal. You can deal with the factors accordingly. If you haven't applied yet, APPLY EARLY! Para may time mag-request ng CAIPS. It usually take a month to receive. Time can be your best friend or your worst enemy.

- Iba iba ang timpla ng mga VO sa bawat country, so you have to know what factors weigh the most for them. Sadly, this is based on experience kasi hindi naman to nakasulat sa cic website. You still need to comply to the basic info needed in SOP. In our case dito sa SG, travel history and ties sa home country (kasi nga OFW) ang nakikita naming important so far.

- Remember to emphasize that you understand what it entails to be a temporary resident in Canada such as you will follow the conditions and respect the boundaries of your permit, you will not be a burden or risk in Canada and most important, you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized visit; will not overstay or break any immigration law. THIS IS IMPORTANT.

- Find applicants from same country of residence and if possible, create your own small group. We have that here in SG. Bukod dito s forum at sa FB page, those people helped a lot para ma-approve ang application ko. We share ideas na applicable sa SG applicants, compare and criticize SOP, learn do's and don't, meet up and gimik din pag minsan. Hehe! More brains, better!

Four applicants in a row na ang na-approve dito sa SG since last month. Sana tuloy tuloy na para sa ibang applicants! Nahuli na ata namin ang kiliti ng SG VO. Hehe!

Sa mga taga-SAIT or Calgary area, kaway kaway! Sana makapag-meet up tayo pag anjan na!

Sorry for the long post. Sana makatulong sa inyo! God bless everyone! Happy Canada Day! :)
congrats!

Reactions: Lcube

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
Yes this is normal. You already submitted your medical and passport so you will just be waiting a refusal letter or an approval letter. Which can lead up to 2 months. Stop worrying.

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
Question po...
My passpowrt wll expire next year... im planning to have my passport renewed before aco umalis pra wala na din acong problema next year sa pag renew dun sa Canada... my question is i-honor ba ng IO sa port of entry ung visa co sa old passport since may butas na ito?

Thanks guys!

actually I already made a research and it says na pwede naman at walang problema kaya lang i just wanted to get another confirmation from other people... Thanks!
I think its okay since if you use that passport then the student permit will expire next year. They cannot give you a student permit longer than the validity of the passport.

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
For those who submitted via paper application, were all documents returned whether you were accepted or not? CIC.GC.CA says they will but I just want to find out if they actually do as it would be burdensome for a re-application if your documents are lacking.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5269ETOC.asp

Has anyone also used the GIC program of Scotiabank where you make a Can$10,000 deposit in your account in Canada? In the June 17 orientation held at Ortigas, they said it would somehow speed up applications and maybe even increase one's chances for acceptance. :) Many thanks in advance and God bless you.

http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,6553,00.html
No, the documents were not returned.

SDS stream are legit. Its true they will speed up the process but you need to have ielts and need to buy that bonds.

Reactions: bob_atron

ChrisYu_

Star Member
Mar 13, 2017
Toronto
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
26-05-2017
Med's Request
26-05-2017
Med's Done....
UPFRONT
Passport Req..
22-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-07-2017
Hello, by the way bago lng ako sa forum, then nakita ko nga na magte take ka ng Human Resources Management, plan ko din kasi mag aral sa canada Human Resources din, upgrade ko lang sana ung education ko, bale 4 years grad na ako sa pinas Business Administration major in Human Resources Development Management, paano kaya un back to zero kaya ako kung mag e enrol ulit ako sa college kasi i think ndi ako pwedeng mag MBA kasi ung equivalent ng 4 years course ko sa canada is post secondary lng. Salamat
I sort of asked the same question like WAY WAY back din here... we have the same dilemma (not being able to MBA because considered college graduate here)... what was recommended to me is to take a postgraduate certificate course in HR (which i followed) instead of taking up an MBA or a postsecondary course in Canada... ang medyo iffy na part lang kasi is since considered college graduate ka here tapos magcocollege ka sa Canada (and same course pa ang balak mong kunin), baka isipin nila na bakit ka uulit magcollege? (i'm not saying it's bawal or illegal cuz im not sure about that)

mas better talaga kung postgraduate certificate ang kunin mo (although mga 1-2 years lang usually yung duration nun) para at least somehow progressive yung academic career mo.

kath2107

Jun 27, 2017
ahhhh ok thank you, Ms. Chris, so nung tinanong ka bakit same course lang din ang kukunin mo sa canada, ano po ung sinagot mo? salamat po.

I sort of asked the same question like WAY WAY back din here... we have the same dilemma (not being able to MBA because considered college graduate here)... what was recommended to me is to take a postgraduate certificate course in HR (which i followed) instead of taking up an MBA or a postsecondary course in Canada... ang medyo iffy na part lang kasi is since considered college graduate ka here tapos magcocollege ka sa Canada (and same course pa ang balak mong kunin), baka isipin nila na bakit ka uulit magcollege? (i'm not saying it's bawal or illegal cuz im not sure about that)

mas better talaga kung postgraduate certificate ang kunin mo (although mga 1-2 years lang usually yung duration nun) para at least somehow progressive yung academic career mo.