+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied a Student Permit from Philippines?

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VFS Makati; paper)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
tipsy said:
Is there anybody here applying for graduate program? I tried to inquire in Mc Master and they told me that to be able to meet their honour degree, I need to have bachelors and masters degree. masters naman ang inaaplyan ko.
Hi tipsy. Some Canadian universities have that kind of degree equivalency requirement. My top three university choices were: McGill, University of British Columbia, and University of Toronto. For my program and area of research, which is Electrical Engineering and microelectronics, only McGill has a one-to-one degree equivalency. Both UBC and U of T specifically states that if you're a prospective graduate student from the Philippines, you need to have already started (or finished) a related Masters degree locally before you can apply to their Masters program. I guess the reason behind is that we don't have middle school so when most of us already started high school, their students still have to go through 7th and 8th grades.

gail yu

May 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-4-14
Med's Request
27-04-14
Med's Done....
06-05-14
Passport Req..
03-06-14
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-14
LANDED..........
17-07-14
hi dbc thirdy, i called again sa s SLEC, naforward na kahapon med result ko,,waiting na po like dbc..

arvinatorrr

May 14, 2014
dbc said:
Hi, if I may ask, how are you related to your relatives in canada? I agree w/ frustratedcanadian, backchecking with our relatives is kinda new to me.., anyway, any update in your app?:)
Hi! My i'm staying with my mom's sister. My agency told me that that was normal, I'm getting a little frustrated with the agency that I hired, no updates or anything. I'm worried because the school gave me until June 2 lang and no updates still from the Embassy through the agency.

chakaz

Nov 19, 2013
I can't find answers, kindly help....i recieved my visa last april 24, 2014, i am for sept. 2014 intake, now my question is this,. now that a student permit issued after june 1, 2014 allow full-time international students enrolled at designated institutions in certain programs to work part time off campus and full time during scheduled school breaks without a work permit. Can this also mean that i can enter canada and start a part time job by july even if my class is yet to start on september? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

gail yu

May 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-4-14
Med's Request
27-04-14
Med's Done....
06-05-14
Passport Req..
03-06-14
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-14
LANDED..........
17-07-14
Thirdy21 said:
Hi gail yu. Buti pa nga ung sayo sending na. Ung saken awaiting results pa daw. Pero feeling ko sabi sabi nya lang un hahah.
hi thirdy, tawaganmu ulit ang SLEC for ur MED Result, kinulit ko knina umaga sbi nasend na daw kahapon ung MR ko.. :)

tipsy

Oct 6, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
24-09-2018
Doc's Request.
03-01-2019
AOR Received.
18-10-2018
Med's Request
30-11-2018
Med's Done....
01-12-2018
Interview........
30-04-2019
scottdickson86 said:
Hi tipsy. Some Canadian universities have that kind of degree equivalency requirement. My top three university choices were: McGill, University of British Columbia, and University of Toronto. For my program and area of research, which is Electrical Engineering and microelectronics, only McGill has a one-to-one degree equivalency. Both UBC and U of T specifically states that if you're a prospective graduate student from the Philippines, you need to have already started (or finished) a related Masters degree locally before you can apply to their Masters program. I guess the reason behind is that we don't have middle school so when most of us already started high school, their students still have to go through 7th and 8th grades.
My top 3 universities are U of T, McMaster and Waterloo Univ. I had started Masters in the Phils but it is not related to my planned grad prog would they consider that? Some says I need to take WES or ICAS do you think it will help?

gail yu

May 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-4-14
Med's Request
27-04-14
Med's Done....
06-05-14
Passport Req..
03-06-14
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-14
LANDED..........
17-07-14
hi tipsy, i think you need to take WES,(,not sure lang ha.)tagal p nman ang processing nun.nag apply ako oct 2013, result nya sa feb 2014.. :)

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VFS Makati; paper)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
tipsy said:
My top 3 universities are U of T, McMaster and Waterloo Univ. I had started Masters in the Phils but it is not related to my planned grad prog would they consider that? Some says I need to take WES or ICAS do you think it will help?
I am pretty sure that Waterloo also has the same international degree equivalency requirement. I remember reading that when I checked their page out last year; They also have really good engineering programs.

My short answer to the question is "no." Unless it's specifically required, or someone from the department advised you to do so, I think paying for third party services is a waste of money. I think that each university has its own way of checking credentials, which means that their decision to accept you as a student will always be less dependent on scores from third party services (unless they are specifically required like GRE and/or TOEFL) and more about their personal judgement on your fit to the program, AFTER comparing your complete application package with those of the other applicants. Applying for grad school is always twofolds: first, you need to meet the minimum requirements to be considered; second, you need to have a good application profile in order to get selected. Therefore, it's always a good idea to get the first one covered. The real battle, I think, is proving to them that you are a right pick.

My advise is to contact a potential supervisor. Send a brief email explaining your dilemma. Unless you can afford to apply to multiple universities, it's always a good idea to target the ones that you have the best chance at getting in. Also, the admission process usually works this way: 1) The department has to accept you and endorse your name to the admissions office, 2) the admissions office will review the department's recommendation and give you a final official offer of admission. So I would definitely make sure that the department can and/or will give an exception to the degree equivalency rule (maybe ask them if there is precedence?). Next, the admissions office should also give you the same exception (The admissions office can block the department's recommendation - although this rarely happens since all departments are required to enforce the basic admission requirements set by the university). If there is precedence then all that's left to do is to convince them using your transcript, research goals, and relevant work experience that you deserve the spot!

Good luck! :)

-Scott

tipsy

Oct 6, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
24-09-2018
Doc's Request.
03-01-2019
AOR Received.
18-10-2018
Med's Request
30-11-2018
Med's Done....
01-12-2018
Interview........
30-04-2019
scottdickson86 said:
I am pretty sure that Waterloo also has the same international degree equivalency requirement. I remember reading that when I checked their page out last year; They also have really good engineering programs.
Do you mean waterloo univ requires bachelor and masters degree before I can be admitted for graduate school?

My short answer to the question is "no." Unless it's specifically required, or someone from the department advised you to do so, I think paying for third party services is a waste of money. I think that each university has its own way of checking credentials, which means that their decision to accept you as a student will always be less dependent on scores from third party services (unless they are specifically required like GRE and/or TOEFL) and more about their personal judgement on your fit to the program, AFTER comparing your complete application package with those of the other applicants. Applying for grad school is always twofolds: first, you need to meet the minimum requirements to be considered; second, you need to have a good application profile in order to get selected. Therefore, it's always a good idea to get the first one covered. The real battle, I think, is proving to them that you are a right pick.

My advise is to contact a potential supervisor. Send a brief email explaining your dilemma. Unless you can afford to apply to multiple universities, it's always a good idea to target the ones that you have the best chance at getting in. Also, the admission process usually works this way: 1) The department has to accept you and endorse your name to the admissions office, 2) the admissions office will review the department's recommendation and give you a final official offer of admission. So I would definitely make sure that the department can and/or will give an exception to the degree equivalency rule (maybe ask them if there is precedence?). Next, the admissions office should also give you the same exception (The admissions office can block the department's recommendation - although this rarely happens since all departments are required to enforce the basic admission requirements set by the university). If there is precedence then all that's left to do is to convince them using your transcript, research goals, and relevant work experience that you deserve the spot!

Good luck! :)

-Scott
My selected course doesnt need a supervisor as the course is more on lectures then intern, there is no thesis.
I have Masters unit in the Phils but in IT not in Math would it help?

Thirdy21

Star Member
Apr 3, 2014
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 29 and June 24
File Transfer...
April 29, 2014
Med's Request
April 30, 2014
Med's Done....
May 8, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 10, 2014
LANDED..........
Very Soon
Hi chakaz yep you can. Read the new laws part sa cic. All your questions will be answered there. :)

Hi gail yu. Yeah ill call them tomorrow. Halos nauna la lang ng 2 days sakin no? Hehe

gail yu

May 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-4-14
Med's Request
27-04-14
Med's Done....
06-05-14
Passport Req..
03-06-14
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-14
LANDED..........
17-07-14
thirdy >yap..anung skul kaw? knakabahan na ako..

Thirdy21

Star Member
Apr 3, 2014
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 29 and June 24
File Transfer...
April 29, 2014
Med's Request
April 30, 2014
Med's Done....
May 8, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 10, 2014
LANDED..........
Very Soon
Hi. Sa seneca-york ako. Pero sa york univ ung kung saan ung classes ko. Kaw?

gail yu

May 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-4-14
Med's Request
27-04-14
Med's Done....
06-05-14
Passport Req..