+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anybody out there with Non CS Undergrad accepted for MS CS in Top 11-30 schools?

ranjan542

Nov 30, 2014
Anybody out there with Non CS Undergrad accepted for MS CS in Top 30 schools? I did my undergrad in Mechanical Engineering from US university and thinking about switching to CS. Will be really grateful if anybody comment with their undergrad major, school accepted and funding (if available).

Thank You all

vash021

Star Member
Mar 28, 2014
ranjan542 said:
Anybody out there with Non CS Undergrad accepted for MS CS in Top 30 schools? I did my undergrad in Mechanical Engineering and thinking about switching to CS. I am really grateful if anybody comment with their undergrad major, school accepted and funding (if available).

Thank You all
dalhousie has an option for non cs undergrad to take masters in comp sci
you just have to do an extra 1 year in the first year you will have to take CS courses that they will require you too

I dont have much experience about other universities so i cant comment on them

Btw I have a CS undergrad degree just wanted to point out that they have an option for non - cs people

Rohit leel

Star Member
Nov 21, 2014
vash021 said:
dalhousie has an option for non cs undergrad to take masters in comp sci
you just have to do an extra 1 year in the first year you will have to take CS courses that they will require you too

I dont have much experience about other universities so i cant comment on them

Btw I have a CS undergrad degree just wanted to point out that they have an option for non - cs people
Well u can get admission in top colleges But nill chances in universities like UBC , Uni Of Toronto. University of montreal ets.. By the way if u have done mechanical engineering than why would u switch it. This may reduce ur visa chances also. And moreover if u still got visa than canada is not like india where u can cheat and pass exams. U will have to go through coding like C++, Java , CQL which will give lots of assignments and will make less time for work.

Also there are too many computer programmers in canada. U can check cic website that fedral skilled worker cap of Comp. Prgrmmers is already full whereas mechanical engg cap have still left 700 applicants of total 1000 cap.

Moreover salary is same in both professions but mech engg is less competetive.

vash021

Star Member
Mar 28, 2014
having a masters in CS does not equall to only programming he can basically get a job in any IT field given he has the right skill set

ranjan542

Nov 30, 2014
Rohit leel said:
Well u can get admission in top colleges But nill chances in universities like UBC , Uni Of Toronto. University of montreal ets.. By the way if u have done mechanical engineering than why would u switch it. This may reduce ur visa chances also. And moreover if u still got visa than canada is not like india where u can cheat and pass exams. U will have to go through coding like C++, Java , CQL which will give lots of assignments and will make less time for work.

Also there are too many computer programmers in canada. U can check cic website that fedral skilled worker cap of Comp. Programmers is already full whereas mechanical engg cap have still left 700 applicants of total 1000 cap.

Moreover salary is same in both professions but mech engg is less competetive.
I understand UBC and U Tornoto are hard to get in. I have been working as a software developer since my Senior year and I really liked it. I just did not want to take more classes and take longer to graduate- so I finished my Mechanical Engineering Degree in 4 years. Right after my graduation I was offered full time position in a Internet Company and I started working there. I want to go ino AI, Machine Learning stuffs which is why I am planning to switch to CS.
I am planning to come back to US to work or go back to my country (FYI : I am not frim India), so I do not think that will be an Issue.

Rohit leel

Star Member
Nov 21, 2014
ranjan542 said:
I understand UBC and U Tornoto are hard to get in. I have been working as a software developer since my Senior year and I really liked it. I just did not want to take more classes and take longer to graduate- so I finished my Mechanical Engineering Degree in 4 years. Right after my graduation I was offered full time position in a Internet Company and I started working there. I want to go ino AI, Machine Learning stuffs which is why I am planning to switch to CS.
I am planning to come back to US to work or go back to my country (FYI : I am not frim India), so I do not think that will be an Issue.

Oh no issues then. why wouldnt u then try in USA . like my one frnd has done Ms in cs from university of san jose. u can try anywhere in usa..Maybe in Harvard u can get chance. :p

ranjan542

Nov 30, 2014
Rohit leel said:
Oh no issues then. why wouldnt u then try in USA . like my one frnd has done Ms in cs from university of san jose. u can try anywhere in usa..Maybe in Harvard u can get chance. :p
Dude, I am not here to fight with you. But different people have different intentions, example you wanna stay in Canada and I have not thought about that. I just want to get more experience both culturally and academically. And that is why , I had considered looking into Universities from other countries like Germany, and Australia too...

Rohit leel

Star Member
Nov 21, 2014
ranjan542 said:
Dude, I am not here to fight with you. But different people have different intentions, example you wanna stay in Canada and I have not thought about that. I just want to get more experience both culturally and academically. And that is why , I had considered looking into Universities from other countries like Germany, or Australia too...
yeah i agree, everyone with different intentions. :)

yogesh19921

Aug 19, 2014
ranjan542 said:
Anybody out there with Non CS Undergrad accepted for MS CS in Top 30 schools? I did my undergrad in Mechanical Engineering from US university and thinking about switching to CS. Will be really grateful if anybody comment with their undergrad major, school accepted and funding (if available).

Thank You all
I am also facing same issue. I am from mechanical and having work experience in IT industry. See my profile below. I mailed 3 universities regarding my case(Windsor, Regina and Manitoba).
They said:
"We are generally looking for our graduate students to have an undergraduate degree in Computer Science. Special consideration can be given for cases where an applicant has a degree in a related discipline. However, it will be up to the applicants to make the case that they have enough education and experience to allow them to function at the same level as someone who has a degree in CS."

So i am applying in Windsor, Regina, Manitoba, Ottawa, Concordia, Saskatchewan and Dalhousie.
My profile-
1. GRE-307(quant-161,verbal-146)
2. IELTS- 7.5 (L-8, R-7, W-7, S-7.5)
3. Work Experience- 1 year 5 months in Tata Consultancy services India(Top IT MNC ).July 2013-present.
4. B.Tech- Mechanical Engg(64.94%) from a reputed govt college (HBTI Kanpur India).2009-2013
5. 12th- CBSE -79.4%. 2008-2009
6. 10th- CBSE- 85.4%. 2006-2007
7. Published 2 apps in windows phone store.
6. Microsoft certifications in C#, SQL
7. Good LOR's from TCS managers and Microsoft employees as i worked under their project.
8. Published one Nuget package on nuget.org for Visual Studio and article for the same on Codeproject.com
9. Github publications

ranjan542

Nov 30, 2014
yogesh19921 said:
I am also facing same issue. I am from mechanical and having work experience in IT industry. See my profile below. I mailed 3 universities regarding my case(Windsor, Regina and Manitoba).
They said:
"We are generally looking for our graduate students to have an undergraduate degree in Computer Science. Special consideration can be given for cases where an applicant has a degree in a related discipline. However, it will be up to the applicants to make the case that they have enough education and experience to allow them to function at the same level as someone who has a degree in CS."

So i am applying in Windsor, Regina, Manitoba, Ottawa, Concordia, Saskatchewan and Dalhousie.
My profile-
1. GRE-307(quant-161,verbal-146)
2. IELTS- 7.5 (L-8, R-7, W-7, S-7.5)
3. Work Experience- 1 year 5 months in Tata Consultancy services India(Top IT MNC ).July 2013-present.
4. B.Tech- Mechanical Engg(64.94%) from a reputed govt college (HBTI Kanpur India).2009-2013
5. 12th- CBSE -79.4%. 2008-2009
6. 10th- CBSE- 85.4%. 2006-2007
7. Published 2 apps in windows phone store.
6. Microsoft certifications in C#, SQL
7. Good LOR's from TCS managers and Microsoft employees as i worked under their project.
8. Published one Nuget package on nuget.org for Visual Studio and article for the same on Codeproject.com
9. Github publications
Thanks buddy.. To be honest your profile looks awesome to me. You should also consider applying to US Universities. Let me know if you get any info from those universities..

yogesh19921

Aug 19, 2014
ranjan542 said:
Thanks buddy.. To be honest your profile looks awesome to me. You should also consider applying to US Universities. Let me know if you get any info from those universities..
Actually i am not going for any consultancy. Whenever any consultant looks at my case, they give up saying i wont be able to get into CS and start suggesting other course options. So, i have shortlisted these universities on my own. If you have idea about US universities, please pm me safe, moderate and ambitious according to my profile. Thanks in advance.
And as soon as i get any mail from university, i will let you know. I have written to one of the adviser at University of Manitoba CS dept asking if i am eligible for application. Haven't received any reply yet.

ranjan542

Nov 30, 2014
yogesh19921 said:
Actually i am not going for any consultancy. Whenever any consultant looks at my case, they give up saying i wont be able to get into CS and start suggesting other course options. So, i have shortlisted these universities on my own. If you have idea about US universities, please pm me safe, moderate and ambitious according to my profile. Thanks in advance.
And as soon as i get any mail from university, i will let you know. I have written to one of the adviser at University of Manitoba CS dept asking if i am eligible for application. Haven't received any reply yet.
Yes, Don't go to consultancy. We do hard work and all they do is try us to get in lower level universities. Most universities in US take engineering major undergrad. My problem is I am on H1 visa and I am plannig to go to my country next year.. I am just considering Canadian school as second option in case my H1B gets denied due to unrelated major or else I am happy here. . If you want I can provide information from the school I graduated which is least expensive and among Top Engineering School..

yogesh19921

Aug 19, 2014
ranjan542 said:
Yes, Don't go to consultancy. We do hard work and all they do is try us to get in lower level universities. Most universities in US take engineering major undergrad. My problem is I am on H1 visa and I am plannig to go to my country next year.. I am just considering Canadian school as second option in case my H1B gets denied due to unrelated major or else I am happy here. . If you want I can provide information from the school I graduated which is least expensive and among Top Engineering School..
Yes please pm me with the details.