+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

anybody from dominican republic?

NDS10

May 11, 2019
Hello everyone. I have a question in regards to the process of marrying a Dominican.

One of the requirements if you were not born in Canada is to legalize your birth certificate with your country's embassy. The embassy turned down the request to legalize. They said they do not do it here in Canada. The country in question is in a civil war situation and there are no family members inside the country to help legalize the document. Does anyone know what can be done? Are there any alternatives to authenticating the BC?

Thank you in advance.

Mrs. Santiago

Jun 7, 2019
Category........
FAM
Hi Nreilly,

My husband is Dominican. I sponsored his as a PR OUTLAND through Santo Domingo in 2012. We were together 4.5 years before we were married and I sponsored him. We met March 2008 and had long distance relationship with visits until I moved to DR (Pto Pta) in August 2009. I lived there 3 years. We were married in July 2012, I moved back to Canada in August 2012 and sent in the application 1 week later.

The application was received by Mississauga August 23, 2012. I was approved as sponsor October 9, 2012. The application was sent and received in Santo Domingo October 26, 2012. My husband's PR was approved and passport request November 26, 2012. So in total from beginning to end it only took us 3 months 3 days.

Now ours was very quick and other people aren't quite so lucky. Most it seems are approved in 6-8 mo ths time. Some a little longer. Some have interviews, some don't. Usually those who are interviewed have a few red flags such as fast relationship, large age difference, very few days actually spent together. You living in Canada should make it fairly easy.

Did you guys meet and marry within the year that you have been in Canada? If so, to help prevent an interview, show proof that u have been living together. You can also have your family and friends and his family and friends write about your relationship and how they support it.

For our communication, we showed a handful of msn conversations and phone cards I used to call, which didn't even track the number called. We then showed rental receipts from Pto Pta and just said we lived together and communicated daily and in person. If you can just just write a short explanation about not having the phone communication and how you live in Canada and see him daily with a rental contract or whatever you have from where you live, you shouldn't have a problem.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask me here or in a private message! There is also a facebook group that has many people who are married to Dominicans (and the Dominican spouses too) who have gone through the process or are currently going through it! Let me know if you want to join the group. If not, like I said, ask me whatever you need to on here :)
I would love to be able to join this group on Facebook!