+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any USA Citizens Applying for Canadian PR?

necie12888

Dec 7, 2015
Hello, all.

I've been snooping around this forum for about 3 years now and I finally decided to create a post. Happy me! Lol.

It would be great to connect with other USA citizens in order to share our experiences with the Express Entry service.

I currently reside in North Carolina. I plan to migrate with my three teenagers to London, Ontario in 2016. It's crunch time! My oldest turns 19 in JUNE so I'm in a hurry. I completed my EE application in October but I only have 430 points. I've considered taking the French exam but my French is horrible. So the next step is to find employment OR reapply through EE and apply for Ontario OINP.

Curious, will I get another OINP invitation if I cancel my current EE application and reapply? I wasn't expecting an invitation from OINP and now I am regretting allowing the 45 days to pass without applying through that program. Honestly, I didn't have all of my ducks in a row. I have some work to do in order to get all of my professional references. I am in the IT industry (IT Project Manager).

It would be great to read about successful USA applicants and their experiences. I tried to search for some but most are pre- the new EE process.

Necie

anarsoul

Jul 12, 2014
Hi Necie,

Out of curiosity - what's the point in moving to Canada from USA? AFAIK IT job market is a lot larger in USA.

necie12888

Dec 7, 2015
Hello. :)

Thanks for responding to my very first post here.

Personally, at the level that I am at in my career (AVP at a global financial institution) I have no interest in going any further. I don't mind taking a job as an office manager making 1/4th of what I make right now. Worst case scenario, I get a job working for a US company who allows their employees to work from a home office anywhere. I work from home most of the time even now. I am certainly not moving to Canada for the job opportunities although there are some really great things going on in Canada right now. I am moving there for the culture and because I love the country.

I plan to buy some land, retire early and live off the grid shortly after my children finish college. They all plan to attend school in Ontario.

SAJ_ee2015

Jul 4, 2015
necie12888 said:
Hello. :)

Thanks for responding to my very first post here.

Personally, at the level that I am at in my career (AVP at a global financial institution) I have no interest in going any further. I don't mind taking a job as an office manager making 1/4th of what I make right now. Worst case scenario, I get a job working for a US company who allows their employees to work from a home office anywhere. I work from home most of the time even now. I am certainly not moving to Canada for the job opportunities although there are some really great things going on in Canada right now. I am moving there for the culture and because I love the country.

I plan to buy some land, retire early and live off the grid shortly after my children finish college. They all plan to attend school in Ontario.
All the best :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
necie12888 said:
Curious, will I get another OINP invitation if I cancel my current EE application and reapply? I wasn't expecting an invitation from OINP and now I am regretting allowing the 45 days to pass without applying through that program.
It is possible - It's certainly worth a try -

sd2005

Jul 13, 2015
Hi Necie - US citizen here as well. I've been waiting in the pool most of 2015 with a score of 443. Unfortunately not much my partner and I can do now to increase our score (aside from taking a french exam, which we are studying for).

I'll be happy to provide any updates though, when the ITA points eventually get down to my level!

All the best

necie12888

Dec 7, 2015
sd2005 said:
Hi Necie - US citizen here as well. I've been waiting in the pool most of 2015 with a score of 443. Unfortunately not much my partner and I can do now to increase our score (aside from taking a french exam, which we are studying for).

I'll be happy to provide any updates though, when the ITA points eventually get down to my level!

All the best
Cool! So, if you don't mind me asking, what are your reasons for leaving the states?

I'm thinking about improving my English scores. It's worth a shot, I suppose.

Bahamas

Oct 8, 2015
Nassau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The job market can't be the only reason for moving to Canada.
The quality of life, universal healthcare, human rights laws/practices, etc., would make Canada very appealing to Americans (and others, like me)...

tomneversfield

May 8, 2015
USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
8/10/2015
Med's Done....
7/28/2015
Passport Req..
12/22/2015
Hello.. I'm a US citizen residing in California since 2007. AOR August 10th and BG in progress on 11/25. Hopefully I'll get a final update by early/mid January (if the backlog doesn't keep growing). Good luck everyone!

sd2005

Jul 13, 2015
necie12888 said:
Cool! So, if you don't mind me asking, what are your reasons for leaving the states?

I have been living in New Zealand for several years now, and while it is a wonderful and peaceful country, I very much miss living in the northern hemisphere, and being closer to my family. My partner and I plan to move to Canada for those, and other personal reasons.

If you can improve your english scores, every little bit helps! I've maxed out on mine i'm afraid, but I am hopeful CIC will break that 450 point barrier in the new year.

sd2005

Jul 13, 2015
Bahamas said:
The job market can't be the only reason for moving to Canada.
The quality of life, universal healthcare, human rights laws/practices, etc., would make Canada very appealing to Americans (and others, like me)...
+1

mgraf

May 13, 2015
necie12888 said:

If you don't mind my asking.. what is your English score?

necie12888

Dec 7, 2015
mgraf said:
If you don't mind my asking.. what is your English score?
Ahhh... My lovely scores.

Listening 8.5 (I was not expecting a British accent at all!)
Reading 7.5 (I don't even know how I got such a low score here with my educational background. It was a rough day.)
Writing 8.0 (Ugh)
Speaking 9.0
Overall 8.5

So I do have room for improvement. BUT now I have a job offer so I won't need to retest. :)