+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any temporary worker in Quebec, but applying for Express Entry, join here.

Narayan Mani

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
08-11-2020
thanks! So:
1. is it a good strategy for a 42 year old bachelor degree holder like me to live in Ontario and work in Quebec via daily commute? And apply in CEC class EE after 1 year
2. Would it be ok to use job offer of my existing company in qubec to get 50 extra points in my application? As explained I am on closed work permit till 2026 June and plan to apply next year in Aug when I finish my 1 year in Canada
It would be best for you to consult a licensed immigration consultant or lawyer on this matter.
They will be able to asses what suits your situation best,

My personal understanding (not official advice) suggests that a job offer from Quebec means you want to live in Quebec. In that case, even if you move to Ontario, it just screams that you are simply finding loopholes to get your PR approved. IRCC might flag it for inconsistency or misrepresentation, the aftermath can result in serious consequences. I would strongly recommend you seek professional advice.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thanks! So:
1. is it a good strategy for a 42 year old bachelor degree holder like me to live in Ontario and work in Quebec via daily commute? And apply in CEC class EE after 1 year
2. Would it be ok to use job offer of my existing company in qubec to get 50 extra points in my application? As explained I am on closed work permit till 2026 June and plan to apply next year in Aug when I finish my 1 year in Canada
You are unlikely to get approved for CEC if you continue to work in Quebec. You still have significant ties to Quebec that way. It will appear that you have temporarily moved out of Quebec to secure PR and will likely move back to Quebec when you get PR. You can only use the job offer if LMIA was from the past year.

Reactions: serjie06

narik12

Nov 30, 2023
Dear all, apologies for the delay. I will try to provide some information about my process and what happened.

I am a PhD candidate, and I had decided to apply to Express Entry because I knew that: a) quebec process takes one million years, and b) by the time I finished with quebec process, I would probably leave for another province (higher chances of becoming a professor outside of quebec than inside, pure probability).

I used my experience from Brazil as a research assistant during my undergrad studies as work experience to qualify to the FSW program. After getting my IELTS results and all documents, my CRS was 456 and in December 20th, 2017, I received my invitation to apply.

Since I knew there would be a requirement to provide sufficient evidence that I plan to settle outside Quebec, it took me more than a month to write the perfect letter. I applied on January 27th, 2018. I could have applied without the letter, but I knew they would eventually request, so might as well send it together with your application, it saves time.

I'm not too sure about the timeline, but it was something like that: medicals cleared within 2 weeks, and after one week my background check changed. Then in February my status changed to IP2 as part of the massive glitch. After that I had to wait a loooong period until my PPR was issued on July 20th, 2018.

In the middle of the process I asked for notes because the wait was killing me. In my notes I saw that no officer mentioned anything about doubting my decision to settle outside Quebec. I guess I provided sufficient evidence.

Here is the letter I wrote (all identifiable data was removed):

----------------------------------------------------
25 January 2018

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to take this opportunity to explain my interest in applying for the Federal Skilled Worker Immigration Program through the Express Entry pool. As you may notice from my application dossier, I am pursuing a doctoral degree at ________ in Montreal (Quebec), currently at the end of my ____ year, which means I will be able to relocate after Summer 2018. I understand that, under the rules of the FSW program, I am required to plan my settling in any Canadian province other than Quebec, therefore I would like to clarify the rationale for my choice, as well as to provide some evidence of my intention to settle outside Quebec.

1) I am unfit for the academic job market in Quebec

I decided to pursue a PhD at ______ due to its prestige and intensive research tradition. Also, my supervisor is the only professor in Canada doing the same research in which I am interested (______). Therefore, despite my lack of knowledge of French, I moved to Quebec in 2016 to start my current program. However, my prospects of an academic career in Quebec are virtually inexistent, because the majority of jobs are for French or French ________ which require a deep knowledge of the language proven by standardized tests, even for native speakers. Working in the field of _______, it would be impossible for me to find an academic position in this province.

The only possible place would be _______. However, the three professors in the field of _______ are all tenure-track and joined _____ recently (________). Consequently, according to my program director, the university will not open any positions in the foreseeable future. Instead of staying in Quebec (which would be a requirement if I applied for Quebec immigration), I believe that moving to other Canadian provinces will be the only way for me to start a scholarly career.

2) I will soon need to look for academic positions

I am currently at the end of my ________ of PhD studies. As part of my program, I am required to finish all my coursework and pass my ________ by ________, after which I will become a PhD candidate. As such, while focusing on my ________, I will start looking for academic positions because I will be able to promptly relocate in the case I find a suitable position. However, Canadian universities follow the policy of prioritizing permanent residents and citizens for their positions (it is the law). Therefore, given the competitiveness of the academic market nowadays, it will be hard for me to successfully find a position before becoming a permanent resident, hence my application for PR status at this moment.

3) I am developing a professional network in ________ and ________

Since the beginning of my PhD I realized I was not suitable to work in the province of Quebec in the field of ________, so I have started a number of projects in partnership with different institutions outside Quebec, namely in ________ and ________, the ________ provinces. I hope that such projects will strengthen my connections and make me a better candidate for job positions in these provinces.

First, I am working together with a ________. Together with them, I will ________ as of ________ as well as conduct a research comparing the ________ in ________. This project will be funded by both ________ and ________, a Canadian, not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered r________ in Canada for 18 years. Despite ________' having offices across Canada, we are directly working with their ________ ________, receiving support from ________.

Second, I have submitted a research project together with my supervisor (________) and another ________ professor from ________ (________) to study the needs of ________. In this project, I will be responsible for the ________ part of data collection and analysis. Through this project I will be in contact with different ________ institutions and ________ from ________ to meet with ________, ________ and ________. In fact, I have already been in touch with the ________ (________, ________) during the National Conference in ________ to discuss our interest in working with ________. The ________ coordinator, ________ (________@________.________.ca), showed great interest in partnering up to develop ________. The project (currently under evaluation) will be funded by the ________, a federal research funding agency.

4) I am eligible for a ________ license in ________ and ________

Finally, I have also developed an alternative plan in case I struggle with finding a suitable academic position in university. As you can see from my application file, I am a certified ________, therefore I am eligible to apply for equivalence of my ________ license from Brazil in both ________ and ________. In fact, I have already confirmed the requirements from both provinces and will apply for the equivalence to assure myself that I can find a good and fulfilling job after becoming permanent resident. Although any application for equivalence needs to be reviewed, I would like to point out that you may verify the three main requirements from my immigration dossier:

· English level (from my IELTS score);

· An appropriate ________ degree (from both my diploma and the evaluation carried out by WES);

· Experience as a ________ (since I did not claim points for that, you verify from my personal history).

5) Supporting documents

To support my claims in this letter, I attached the following documents:

A. Partnership document with ________ / ________, from ________ (signed and submitted);

B. Email exchanges with ________ supporting our application;

C. Confirmation of ________ proposal submission (supervised by Dr. ________, application number: ________);

D. Copy of ________ Ministry of ________ guidelines for Application for ________ Certificate of Qualification for International Graduates.

Sincerely,
Thank you so much!! Very helpful.
I also have a closed work permit in Quebec, and applied for EE. I submit a letter describing my intention to live outside quebec.
So they approved you while you were in quebec. I mean, you put your QC address into the portal, correct?
And after that, how did you do with your health care? Did you menage to have RAMQ while waiting to move to another province?
And have you moved after all?
Thank you so much!

ViktorKosenko

Jul 6, 2023
thanks! So:
It's totally okay. You can work anywhere including Quebec.

narik12

Nov 30, 2023
Hi guys,

I recently got my eCoPR from TR to PR which is an IRCC program. I studied in Ontario for two years then moved to Montreal(Quebec)for my current position after graduation (with PGWP).
When I applied TR to PR I am physically in Montreal and I did attach an explanation letter to show my intent (LOW).

Shared my format here I hope this could help :)

{Name}
{Address}
{Phone Number}

Subject: Letter of Explanation – Intend to reside in a province other than Quebec

Attached: (1) {document name 1}, (2) {document name 2}, (3) {document name 3}

First, I have no family connections and friends in Quebec, and most of my friends are in Ontario. From 2018 to 2020, I was a resident in Ontario where I attended ______ College for Advanced diploma, so all of my friends are living in Ontario. Moreover, one of my best friends in my life, _______ is in Toronto. We have known each other for more than ten years, and she is the main reason why I decided to come to Canada in the first place. She was like my family so I was excited to start the adventure in a new country that she was in. I deeply hope I can live close to her, take care of each, and raise our children together in the near future.

Second, my employer _____ has countless based locations across countries, provinces, and cities. My current position’s main duties are working with vendors in the greater Montreal area. It was extremely hard for a new graduate to land a job during the first surge of a pandemic while I received this offer last summer. My financial situation was very stressful at that time. I didn’t have any income and I was running out of my savings, and I was also stressed about the student loan that I have to start paying in 2021. For a new immigrant and new graduate, it is more important to have a professional experience than select locations. As a result, I decided to accept this position and gain more experience in the professional fields then wait for an opportunity to transfer my position back to Ontario internal or external.

Third, it’s hard to live in Quebec without speaking French. French will be my fourth language and it is hard for me to learn. In most of the places in Quebec, the signs, labels, and documents are only displayed in French, and this causes lots of inconvenience in my daily life. It was also quite hard to understand Quebec Government’s websites because many parts of them are only in French.

Last but not least, when I have kids in the near future, I would like them to attend an English school since neither I nor my partner speaks French. My partner's and my first language is Mandarin and we hope that our next generation can be bilingual in Mandarin and English so we can narrow down the generation gap between us and the children. There is about a 10% population in the great Toronto area who can speak Mandarin, so we prefer to raise our children in the great Toronto area, so they can have a better environment learning Mandarin and English, for example, by attending a public English school and joining some local programs to learn Mandarin.

I hope all the above explained reasons show my clear intention to move out of Quebec province.

{Name}

Signature

Thank you for sharing!
I applied to EE this year and apparently got approved (waiting for the portal). But I'm afraid one of the reasons for the delay in my portal access is my address in quebec.
As I explained in my letter, I live in Quebec, but have way more job opportunities in Ontario, and that's where I intend to live. Anyway, I wanted to ask you:
-when you got the portal access, did you add your quebec address?
-did you move out right after getting the PR?
-if not, did you manage to have RAMQ for the time you stayed in quebec?

Thank you!

serjie06

Feb 4, 2024
HI,
I have a open PGWP. I temporarily moved into Quebec from NB, after getting a Job in a company headquartered in Quebec. I would be completing a year very soon and was planning on applying for CEC. I don't speak French and have no plans to stay inside Quebec for future.
My Employer may allow me to work remotely anywhere in Canada but since it is headquartered here is the main reason for me to move to Quebec. The other reason for me being here is because I have projects with a local utility, which sometimes requires site visits.
I'm planning to apply for CEC or FSW under express entry.
I wanted to know how could I prove that I don't have any intention to stay inside Quebec? (Except for the above mentioned reasons)
(I would also like to add something additional, I am also restricted from getting a PENG due to French language requirement.)
After I receive an invite does the application suggest me to move outside Quebec to proceed further with my PR process?

Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Hi,

How did it work for you? Are you already PR or applied for it via EE CEC while working in Quebec?
We have the same situation, I have been working in Quebec but my residency is outside Quebec.

Thank you!

serjie06

Feb 4, 2024
You are unlikely to get approved for CEC if you continue to work in Quebec. You still have significant ties to Quebec that way. It will appear that you have temporarily moved out of Quebec to secure PR and will likely move back to Quebec when you get PR. You can only use the job offer if LMIA was from the past year.
What if recently started a job in Montreal but I will be working from home?
I have the proof of residence in Ontario for a year.
Should I submit LOE for this?