+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any Russians/Ukrainians/Soviets in here?

mashamasha

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mantrik-j said:
Hey, I'm also from Piter. I did exactly the same, so gonna share some wisdom. :D I made a POA (dovetennost) for my sis in the Embassy (costs smth around $30-40) and sent it to her with my Diploma. She, in turn, went here http://knvsh.gov.spb.ru/gosuslugi, called them (apparently there is an appointment required, so if u gonna do that ask your parents to call and set it now, while you doing the POA) and then it took 35 days to get it back. It is the only honest way, without overpaying somebody. Hope it helps.
Hey!! So nice to see some fellow peeps from St. Petersburg here!! I was going to get a doverennost' at the embassy, but since I'm going home soon, figured that it's not going to change much. Like I said, trying to find a notary that can help, so that's in process. But I appreciate the advice! Will check out the link too! Many thanks and hope to meet up in Canada?! Haha

mashamasha

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All, I wanted to take a moment to thank you all for all the wisdom you shared! I have such a better understanding of the process now, which I sure wouldn't have gained from going through pages of CIC's website. Thanks very much. It's greatly appreciated.

Moving forward, I will be getting doverennost' for my mom at the Russian Embassy on March 24 and will get the apostille process going right after.

I have just question left at this time. I haven't mentioned before, but I am actually moving to Kazahkstan for a job to start in June. Does that mean I will also need to get non-conviction papers from authorities there? Thanks again!

Canadaistheway

Dec 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mashamasha said:
All, I wanted to take a moment to thank you all for all the wisdom you shared! I have such a better understanding of the process now, which I sure wouldn't have gained from going through pages of CIC's website. Thanks very much. It's greatly appreciated.

Moving forward, I will be getting doverennost' for my mom at the Russian Embassy on March 24 and will get the apostille process going right after.

I have just question left at this time. I haven't mentioned before, but I am actually moving to Kazahkstan for a job to start in June. Does that mean I will also need to get non-conviction papers from authorities there? Thanks again!
If you are going to be in Kazakhstan at the point of submitting application then yes.

kulyoma

Star Member
Jan 18, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mashamasha said:

Masha,

Getting non-conviction papers in Kazakhstan is a matter of one day. Translating and notarizing them, may be another day.

My advice is that before you depart from the US, make the fingerprints, fill the application to the FBI for clearance, fill the payment slip and leave the package to be mailed with some of your friends. It now takes 4 month to get a police certificate so you don't want to lose your time.

Also, you dont want to come to Kazakh RUVD and say: Hi, i am Masha, I am Russian, I need to make fingerprints to be sent to the FBI. You know what I mean. ;)

kindzu

Mar 26, 2015
mashamasha said:
I'm based in Washington, D.C. for now, but might be going back to St. Petersburg soon, so my situation is nowhere near stable lol!
When did you start the process?
Any reason BTW why you decided to move from US to Canada?

mashamasha

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kulyoma said:
Masha,

Getting non-conviction papers in Kazakhstan is a matter of one day. Translating and notarizing them, may be another day.

My advice is that before you depart from the US, make the fingerprints, fill the application to the FBI for clearance, fill the payment slip and leave the package to be mailed with some of your friends. It now takes 4 month to get a police certificate so you don't want to lose your time.

Also, you dont want to come to Kazakh RUVD and say: Hi, i am Masha, I am Russian, I need to make fingerprints to be sent to the FBI. You know what I mean. ;)
Haha of course, I do! Leyla, I have already mailed my fingerprints to the FBI and also made an additional set in case something goes wrong. Thanks for the suggestion! Good to know it doesn't take long in Kazakhstan. The non-conviction certificate I ordered from the Russian embassy takes one to two months to get done, btw..

mashamasha

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kindzu said:
I'm pretty sure many people with similar backgrounds will second me here - the U.S. immigration system is just NOT friendly unless you are in STEM professions. It is very difficult to get an employment-based green card. My employer filed for my work visa, but chances are, I might not get it because of the cap the Congress sets every year on the number of visas issued.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
kindzu said:
Пару дней назад по ящику вещали - заинтересованность американцев в иммиграции в Канаду выросла на 300% после того, как Трамп победил на кокусах в Неваде... Забавно.

Canadaistheway

Dec 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mashamasha said:
I'm pretty sure many people with similar backgrounds will second me here - the U.S. immigration system is just NOT friendly unless you are in STEM professions. It is very difficult to get an employment-based green card. My employer filed for my work visa, but chances are, I might not get it because of the cap the Congress sets every year on the number of visas issued.
Guilty here! US immigration s*cks big time. Not to mention their worldwide income taxation. We all should be proud to call Canada our (future) home.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
Canadaistheway said:
Guilty here! US immigration s*cks big time. Not to mention their worldwide income taxation. We all should be proud to call Canada our (future) home.
Canada is taxing you on worldwide income as well.

Canadaistheway

Dec 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pfse said:
Canada is taxing you on worldwide income as well.
No kidding. I didn't know that. I'll try to stick to just Canada for now then..lol ..Makes me wonder if a US/Canada dual citizen doing business in a third country would be triple taxed..lol

mashamasha

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pfse said:
Пару дней назад по ящику вещали - заинтересованность американцев в иммиграции в Канаду выросла на 300% после того, как Трамп победил на кокусах в Неваде... Забавно.
Да, это вообще ОЧЕНЬ актуальная тема. У нас тут Трудо с визитом, сейчас дает речь в организации, где я работаю, и этот вопрос уже задали..