+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any reputable lawyers in Montreal to file mandamus?

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
I've been looking around, and most firms that are recommended here, or have lots of reviews are in Toronto.
Anybody had good experience with Montreal firms?

How much difference does it make if the lawyer is in another city? I guess I could not come to the appointments in person? Is this a big deal?

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
I've been looking around, and most firms that are recommended here, or have lots of reviews are in Toronto.
Anybody had good experience with Montreal firms?

How much difference does it make if the lawyer is in another city? I guess I could not come to the appointments in person? Is this a big deal?
Since you don't mention the circumstances of your application, it's not for anyone to comment on the need for it; but an unsolicited suggestion is to read up some of the posts regarding Mandamus before going down that route. My application took 40 months and even I was considering that option when I was at the end of my patience. Spoke to a lawyer friend at the time who advised against it; it's expensive, time consuming and apparently, IRCC doesn't take it too seriously going by the number of filings that happen. He advised me to wait for 6 months before thinking about it. Mercifully, I got the oath, within two months of that conversation.

Unless it is absolutely critical for you to file it, perhaps that money could be better utilized.

Reactions: inkomati

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Since you don't mention the circumstances of your application, it's not for anyone to comment on the need for it; but an unsolicited suggestion is to read up some of the posts regarding Mandamus before going down that route. My application took 40 months and even I was considering that option when I was at the end of my patience. Spoke to a lawyer friend at the time who advised against it; it's expensive, time consuming and apparently, IRCC doesn't take it too seriously going by the number of filings that happen. He advised me to wait for 6 months before thinking about it. Mercifully, I got the oath, within two months of that conversation.

Unless it is absolutely critical for you to file it, perhaps that money could be better utilized.
In my situation it is a no-brainer to do it, would be pretty stupid not to.
As far as I understand mandamus can only take a year if it goes to the last stage, which is very rare.
IRCC, on the other hand, may take decades. They are not motivated to work on old applications and there is no way to pressure them, the problems they are creating in our lifes are not of their concern.

I spent several weeks reading through the whole forum and searching on internet, seems like this is the only way to protect your rights.
Though I don't have any lawyer friends, and I guess internet doesn't have unlimited knowledge.
Definitely not interested in waiting another 6 months. I feel like checking the tracker twice a day for 15 months and having 0 updates is enough.

But yeah, I was looking for an answer to a different question. I have been asking the one you're answering for the past 3 months, but now the decision is made.

degm

May 31, 2017
As far as I understand mandamus can only take a year if it goes to the last stage, which is very rare.
IRCC, on the other hand, may take decades. They are not motivated to work on old applications and there is no way to pressure them, the problems they are creating in our lifes are not of their concern.

I spent several weeks reading through the whole forum and searching on internet, seems like this is the only way to protect your rights.
Though I don't have any lawyer friends, and I guess internet doesn't have unlimited knowledge.
Definitely not interested in waiting another 6 months. I feel like checking the tracker twice a day for 15 months and having 0 updates is enough.

But yeah, I was looking for an answer to a different question. I have been asking the one you're answering for the past 3 months, but now the decision is made.
I consulted my lawyer a couple of months ago and he told me the sweet spot to make it worth the submission is between 2x and 3x the processing time posted, so somewhere between 40 and 60 months right now. He's one of the best in the country, I trust him for his expertise and for not wanting to take my money immediately.

degm

May 31, 2017

If I may share a word of advice, the less you pay attention to this process, the better. I forced myself to stop checking and reading the forum and it helped me to manage my anger/expectations. The minute I came back, I got into an argument with somebody, lol. This forum is only helpful at a certain point, I think you're past it given your particular situation. You'll be better off ignoring the whole process. Just my two cents.

Reactions: inkomati

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
If I may share a word of advice, the less you pay attention to this process, the better. I forced myself to stop checking and reading the forum and it helped me to manage my anger/expectations. The minute I came back, I got into an argument with somebody, lol. This forum is only helpful at a certain point, I think you're past it given your particular situation. You'll be better off ignoring the whole process. Just my two cents.
Ignoring is problematic. If I don't file mandamus for the citizenship, I would still have to do one for my PR renewal, if that's even possible.
Waiting 4-5 years is nuts, I'd rather pay.

I guess we'll see how it goes. I haven't heard of any particularly bad experiences from people who did try.

But of course people constantly get into arguments, everybody likes to preach their beliefs, and nobody feels the need to stay on topic.
Though it does add a bit of extra visibility to the thread, so in the end it is still beneficial in an indirect way.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ignoring is problematic. If I don't file mandamus for the citizenship, I would still have to do one for my PR renewal, if that's even possible.
Waiting 4-5 years is nuts, I'd rather pay.

I guess we'll see how it goes. I haven't heard of any particularly bad experiences from people who did try.

But of course people constantly get into arguments, everybody likes to preach their beliefs, and nobody feels the need to stay on topic.
Though it does add a bit of extra visibility to the thread, so in the end it is still beneficial in an indirect way.
I don't have a recommendation but IMO there is no need for the lawyer to be in Montreal.

Good luck.

Reactions: bas12

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
I kind of felt this way 6 months ago, but well, the situation has changed. I was barely ever on the forum until it has gone past 20 months. Your LPP are completed after a year and a half, and mine are not even started at almost 2 years.
I guess attempting to talk to IRCC also increases frustration 10 fold, but I had an impression that one has to jump through all the hoops to be able to escalate further.
If I didn't have to endure communicating with them, I would be a lot happier now.

Last edited: