+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any proposed bills on PR-Out of country residents??

shri_boss

Jan 10, 2013
Hello all,

I landed with family and my family (Wife and 2 kids) went back to home country. They have lived with me for 2months here at Canada and due to my job, family functions and my family planned to come back next year.

Now they are out of Canada for 4months (Left at June 2015).
My family planned to comeback on year March 2016.

I heard from friends that there is a bill going be passed on this out of country residents having PR which may effect from Jan'2016.

Per new bill the people returning back to Canada with PR status may face some immigration restriction and some Health card will also revoked etc.,

Is that true?

Please let me know if anyone familiar with this new law.

Thanks in advance.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shri_boss said:
Hello all,

I landed with family and my family (Wife and 2 kids) went back to home country. They have lived with me for 2months here at Canada and due to my job, family functions and my family planned to come back next year.

Now they are out of Canada for 4months (Left at June 2015).
My family planned to comeback on year March 2016.

I heard from friends that there is a bill going be passed on this out of country residents having PR which may effect from Jan'2016.

Per new bill the people returning back to Canada with PR status may face some immigration restriction and some Health card will also revoked etc.,

Is that true?

Please let me know if anyone familiar with this new law.

Thanks in advance.
Rumors... ::)

Always ask for the link and read the Bill, or at very least find an article, what the Bill number is etc.

But if trends of the past years continue I wont be surprised if they eliminate 3/2 year rule and adopt "no more than X months out of Canada" RO.
And threaten to strip PR of anyone who is one day past the RO deadline.

They need cheap labor (but highly educated and experienced in the professional field), to fill vacancies in Walmart and Burger King while at the same time driving the wages down in a professional field , by flooding the labor market with desperate job seekers. I can't think of any other reason why would they start to enforce RO so aggressively, so you can expect more of it near future.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you have a link to this information?

No? I thought not.

The residency obligation to maintain PR status is still minimum 730 days /5 years; admissibility for healthcare varies from province to province, and there is usually a minimum residency requirement in each province to be eligible for and maintain healthcare.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Observations:

At the current time (early October 2015) there are NO Bills of any sort pending. Parliament has been dissolved. Any and all Bills that were still pending have been terminated.

Parliament will not reconvene until sometime after October 19, after the Federal Election.

All the major political parties have made numerous promises about what legislation they will bring forth and adopt, if elected to form the government. But the practical reality is that any changes to IRPA (the Act governing immigration including the PR Residency Obligation) would have to be introduced as a new Bill in the next parliament, and so far as I have seen none of the political parties are advocating, let alone proposing, let alone promising to do this.

But of course, once there is a new government, changes are possible. While in general it seems unlikely any of the parties would change the PR RO, if any were to change it, that would more likely be the Conservatives who have trended toward greater restriction and more strict enforcement of immigration.

When Parliament will reconvene is up to Stephen Harper, the current Prime Minister. If he and his Conservatives lose the election outright, I would expect no delay in his reconvening Parliament and deferring the speech from the throne to the leader of the party who wins the most seats.

If there is not an outright loss, and the Conservatives win the most seats but get less than a majority, it is unclear what will happen (since both opposition parties have explicitly stated they will not support a minority Conservative government, and so far Harper is insisting that only the party who wins the most seats can legitimately form a government). If this happens it may be a long while, perhaps even into 2016, before any substantive (non-budgetary) legislation is tabled.

In any event, relative to potential future changes in things like the PR RO, we have to wait to see who forms the next government and what that looks like, to have much an idea about what may be on the horizon.

In the meantime, however, you are indeed prudent to pay attention to the potential for changes. These laws are indeed always subject to being changed.