+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

any PhD student from UBC or university of Toronto or any other university

nadiakhalid2

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
hello
I am going to apply to both universities for this year intake. in contact with supervisors and so far got encouraging feedback. both have accepted my proposals. my IELTS is 7.5 with no less than 7 in any area. the G.P.A of my last degree was 3.8 out of 4. now I have a few questions and i would really appreciate if anybody can answer my queries

1. which University is better in term of Degree Value? can anybody tell me both universities annual fees clearly as their websites are not very clear in this regard?

2. as i am going to move to Canada with my family with my 3 minor kids and hubby, which city will suit me better to settle down (in term of expenses, schooling, medical)with family, Toronto or Vancouver?

3. what will be the estimated total budget per month for a reasonable living in both cities?

4. Last but most important, what are my chances of getting Visa with my dependents if i apply for PhD in these universities?

thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. U of T is more globally recognized. However it also somewhat depends on your area of study. Fees also typically depend on your area of study. If you're not clear on the fees, I would ask each university to confirm.
2. Both cities are good choices.
3. Very difficult to say since it depends on your lifestyle and where you chose to live (i.e. in the city or outside of the city). Both cities are expensive as Canada goes. If you chose to live very close to the university campus (i.e. walking distance) - expect to pay quite a bit for housing. If you're willing to communte 45 minutes or more to get to the campus, you'll be able to find cheaper rent. I live walking distance from the University of Toronto campus. For a family of 5, you'll be paying at least $2,400 in rent per month - more likely around the $3K mark. You then have to add on food, transport costs, etc. You can find more information here on what things generally cost: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Canada&city1=Toronto&country2=Canada&city2=Vancouver
4. It depends on a number of things like your country of origin and if you can demonstrate sufficient funds to cover the cost of living for yourself as well as the rest of your family.