+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any opportunities to immigrate for individual investor?

liveclaim

Dec 18, 2013
Hi!

I have lived in Canada in the past ( with parents ) and would love to get back to Ontario asap. Unfortunately, I have finished only secondary school and started online business when I was 17, so I have no official job skills, only management and business experience (3yrs+). The only way I could immigrate to Canada is by investing money, but as we all know federal investor program is closed... I tried to look at Ontario provincial nomination program but it looks like they're accepting only corporate/companies. I do have a company and I'm willing to "immigrate" my business to Canada, but not for immigration purposes. ( I only have few full time employees, contracts will expire next year. ).

So, are there any ways to immigrate to Ontario as an individual investor? If so, what are they?

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The only other program you might want to look at is the Start Up visa:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/start-up/index.asp

liveclaim

Dec 18, 2013
scylla said:
The only other program you might want to look at is the Start Up visa:
Hey,

i saw this program. It looks really great for someone who have time to start new business. I already own business and certainly have no time to work with new idea. Also, I don't meet their education requirements.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ah - I see. Too bad.

In that case I don't know of any immigration program that meets your requirements.

liveclaim

Dec 18, 2013
"Eligibility Criteria for Individual Investors
Although the investment component of Opportunities Ontario is geared towards corporate investments in the province, individual investors seeking nomination can also qualify for the program.

Ontario determines which economic immigrants it wishes to select (i.e. nominate) to the federal government for permanent resident status. However, Section 87 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPA), which governs all provincial nominee programs, limits that authority by excluding certain individuals from being nominated by any province.

To qualify for a provincial nomination, individual investors must meet all of the following four additional eligibility criteria as required by federal law:

Be actively involved, on an ongoing basis, in the management of the business
Control, or will control, at least 33.334% of the equity in the business, or make a minimum $1 million investment in the business
Not have the option of redeeming the investment after a specified period
Invest the capital in the business not for the primary purpose of deriving interest, dividends or capital gains"
- from opportunities Ontario website.

Does this mean they will nominate you for visa if you manage your own business and make minimum $1m investment in Ontario? If so, it sounds too easy and not very beneficial for Ontario. Kinda have a feeling that you need to create x number of jobs for Canadians in order to get this nomination... Maybe anyone have some more information about this?

I've got an appointment with immigration lawyer here in London just before new year.. so it would be great if someone could tell me more about this individual investor thing, don't want to look like a fool while talking with lawyer. :D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To the best of my knowledge, those are the additional requirements that individual investors must meet if they fall into the category of individuals excluded from applying to the program because they do not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR).

This means that in addition to the requirements you listed above, excluded individuals also need to meet the following requirements that apply to everyone submitting investor applications:

•The investment must receive an official endorsement from another Ontario ministry at the Deputy Minister level for the investment and the number of key positions requested. For more information about the endorsement process, please visit the How to apply section.
•The amount of the investment is at least $3,000,000.
•The investment must create at least five net permanent full-time jobs for Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Ontario.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Here's the bit you need to review more closely:

Investment Guidelines

To qualify, investments must be of significant importance to Ontario and must create jobs for Ontarians. New investments and expansions to current operations are eligible. Investments need to meet the following eligibility guidelines:

•The investment must receive an official endorsement from another Ontario ministry at the Deputy Minister level for the investment and the number of key positions requested. For more information about the endorsement process, please visit the How to apply section.
•The investment must create at least five net permanent full-time jobs for Canadian citizens or permanent residents in Ontario.
•The investment has to also comply with Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). This federal law excludes individuals from provincial nomination who:
- are nominated because of capital provision, or
- engage in an “immigration-linked investment scheme”.

To comply with these exclusions, individual investors seeking nomination need to meet added eligibility requirements (please see section called Eligibility Criteria for Individual Investors)

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/OI/en/pnp/OI_PNPINVESTOR_QUALIFY.html

liveclaim

Dec 18, 2013
scylla said:
Here's the bit you need to review more closely:

Investment Guidelines

To qualify, investments must be of significant importance to Ontario and must create jobs for Ontarians. New investments and expansions to current operations are eligible. Investments need to meet the following eligibility guidelines:

•The investment has to also comply with Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). This federal law excludes individuals from provincial nomination who:
- are nominated because of capital provision, or
- engage in an “immigration-linked investment scheme”.

To comply with these exclusions, individual investors seeking nomination need to meet added eligibility requirements (please see section called Eligibility Criteria for Individual Investors)
Hey,

Happy Holidays everyone! :)

What are you saying, scylla?

Do I need to meet employer investment guidelines ( 3m investment, create 5 perm. jobs ) + additional Individual Investor requirements to avoid "immigration-linked investment scheme" rules ( 1m investment, manage business and have no option to redeem my $1m investment. ) ?

If so... that means individual investor who wants to be nominated by Ontario needs to establish new business with capital of at least $3M, create 5 perm. jobs for Canadians and he also needs to comply with IRPR. To comply with IRPR individual investors have to make an equity investment to business without option to redeem it ( or hold at least 33% of the equity in the business ) and be actively involved in this business, that's correct?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
liveclaim said:
If so... that means individual investor who wants to be nominated by Ontario needs to establish new business with capital of at least $3M, create 5 perm. jobs for Canadians and he also needs to comply with IRPR. To comply with IRPR individual investors have to make an equity investment to business without option to redeem it ( or hold at least 33% of the equity in the business ) and be actively involved in this business, that's correct?
Yes - that's my understanding. You need to meet the requirements on both lists to qualify.

liveclaim

Dec 18, 2013
gaurav2571 said:
Kindly reply for the minimum fixed deposit required to migrate to any PNP in canada

Thank you in advance.
Ontario is accepting individual investors but it's very complicated. I'm in the process of getting official endorsement.

Investment amount is at least $3M. You can invest either to new or existing business [ "relocate", expand business if you're acting as a company person.] If you're individual investor and want to move to Ontario then it's really expensive. You have to invest at least $3M to new or existing business, be actively involved and invest additional $1M ( or hold 34% of the equity ) to comply with IRPR. $1M investment's primary purpose should not be deriving interest or dividends, that means you must use this investment to expand your new business in new locations in Ontario or you can just invest $1M for future promotion of your brand/start tv ad campaigns and etc.

Make sure you hire experienced immigration lawyer. He will make your job way much easier and I'm not talking only about paperwork. Just believe me.

apples123

Apr 17, 2015
hi!

Can someone advise me? i have $ 1 million. i am interested in the PNP investor category.Which province should i choose to apply for? i don't want to apply to a province that is complicated.Please reply Asaap.

mukhtarawan

Jun 20, 2015
Immigration Help Required..I want to start some business at Canada.. How I can get the immigration.. please guide.. I have sufficient investments