+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any one hear from refugee board for hearing date or document request?

Javed120

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
Are your parents refugee claimant or they are protected person. They first need to wait for their refugee status. After they receive “protected person”. The pr is confirmed after that but the process takes any where around 2-3 years expect delays of COVID. You can do is just wait. Keep calm.
What is the mean protected person an refugee
Can you explain please

Refugeeinquiry

Dec 4, 2020
What is the mean protected person an refugee
Can you explain please
Once you receive an positive decision at your hearing you will be considered as protected person or convection refugees. Until you have a hearing you will categorized as refugee claimant.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They are risk in home country
They will have to prove that their lives were at risk in their home country and they sought out safety in another parts of the country. The fact that you highlighted that you were their only son indicates that this may have more to do with wanting to remain in Canada with their only son. You asked about sponsoring them as soon as you landed in late 2016 so I assume there is a chance that if you may not have been selected for PGP so they filed for asylum. It will obviously be up to the member to decide but if they get denied they will have difficulty visiting Canada because there will be concerns that they won't leave Canada which is why it wasn't advisable for them to claim asylum unless they knew it would be guaranteed. They could have visited Canada on their supervisa while you attempted to sponsor them via PGP. It is well known that some parents are unwilling to wait for PGP so file for things like asylum. Unfortunately communities and consultants don't explain that there are cases where parents get denied and the process makes it hard for them to visit Canada in the future.

Last edited:

Javed120

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
They will have to prove that their lives were at risk in their home country and they sought out safety in another parts of the country. The fact that you highlighted that you were their only son indicates that this may have more to do with wanting to remain in Canada with their only son. You asked about sponsoring them as soon as you landed in late 2016 so I assume there is a chance that if you may not have been selected for PGP so they filed for asylum. It will obviously be up to the member to decide but if they get denied they will have difficulty visiting Canada because there will be concerns that they won't leave Canada which is why it wasn't advisable for them to claim asylum unless they knew it would be guaranteed. They could have visited Canada on their supervisa while you attempted to sponsor them via PGP. It is well known that some parents are unwilling to wait for PGP so file for things like asylum. Unfortunately communities and consultants don't explain that there are cases where parents get denied and the process makes it hard for them to visit Canada in the future.
Thank you
But they already claimed for refugee in 2019 December

nsy1980

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
My wife is a protected person in Canada,she applied for permanent residence for me,my daughter and her and paid all amount for 3 in July 2019,started processing in February 2020 but was requested for additional family documents which we both filled up and sent.until now we have not heard from them.is this normal?when should we expect from them?

jasonsoy

Star Member
Dec 19, 2020
Can you give me your timeline please
Hi , im gonna write down my timeline
18 december 2019 applied for refugee
11 february 2020 claimed
7 or something like that july 2020 recieved letter for file review process
15 november 2020 virtual hearing date
18 december 2020 virtual hearing and decision positive..
Have a good day

Javed120

Star Member
Apr 18, 2014
Hi , im gonna write down my timeline
18 december 2019 applied for refugee
11 february 2020 claimed
7 or something like that july 2020 recieved letter for file review process
15 november 2020 virtual hearing date
18 december 2020 virtual hearing and decision positive..
Have a good day
Which country from you

Alireza1234

Star Member
Jan 24, 2020
Hi , I’ve had my short hearing yesterday ,it was a virtual hearing ,it took around 1,5 hour and the decision was positive,the board member gave a break for 20minutes after the break she was smiling and told me that my claim was accepted..I wish everyone can get their decision as soon as possible with a positive one..
Congratulations.
Can you share your timeline, where you apply and where are you from please.

Refugeeinquiry

Dec 4, 2020
They just contacted with my lawyer 1 month before the virtual hearing date and they sent me a letter 5 days before my virtual hearing..
I applied for refugee at 15 December 2019
Became a claimant at 18 February 2020
File process letter arrived 15 July 2020
Virtual heating and positive decision 18 December 2020
Pretty fast it was..I’m so glad that i all faced with great people on the government side..
Which country are you from and which province did you apply for refugee claim.

DamnYouDaria

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
Yukon
Category........
Other
Hi, I just got called by IRB in Vancouver today. They scheduled my hearing for the 9th of March 2021. I arrived in Canada on the 16th of November 2019 and had my claim referred to the IRB on the 17th of November 2019.

I'm nervous and freaking out.

profugus

Nov 25, 2017
Anyone waiting for an admissibility hearing? My claim has been suspended for 3 years now, and no word about the hearing.

nsy1980

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
My wife is a protected person in Canada,she applied for permanent residence for me,my daughter and her and paid all amount for 3 in July 2019,started processing in February 2020 but was requested for additional family documents which we both filled up and sent.until now we have not heard from them.is this normal?when should we expect from them? Can anyone tell me about this and why nothing has come out from them until now?