+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any Oath after taking online test from outside Canada.

Nocturno

Jun 5, 2016
Just discovered this thread, wanted to share my experience. I am outside Canada (working here in the US - left Canada a couple of months after receiving AOR), and I've let IRCC know at the time I was invited to take the online test. After the test and completion of my background check, I was sent an email stating that they will not continue with my application any further until I provide proof that I've returned to Canada. Emailed them after that providing a link from the IRCC website itself stating that I'm allowed to leave after submitting my application (I did submit it from inside Canada), and after some back and forth, all items save Oath were completed in my tracker last Friday.
However, I was not scheduled for the oath, and have received no communication (it's now been a couple of days).

Is this normal? Not sure how to take things forward from here. For the record, I was planning to come back to take the oath. Lots of useful info here - I did not know that they can send the certificate to the US, which would make things a lot easier for me.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Just discovered this thread, wanted to share my experience. I am outside Canada (working here in the US - left Canada a couple of months after receiving AOR), and I've let IRCC know at the time I was invited to take the online test. After the test and completion of my background check, I was sent an email stating that they will not continue with my application any further until I provide proof that I've returned to Canada. Emailed them after that providing a link from the IRCC website itself stating that I'm allowed to leave after submitting my application (I did submit it from inside Canada), and after some back and forth, all items save Oath were completed in my tracker last Friday.
However, I was not scheduled for the oath, and have received no communication (it's now been a couple of days).

Is this normal? Not sure how to take things forward from here. For the record, I was planning to come back to take the oath. Lots of useful info here - I did not know that they can send the certificate to the US, which would make things a lot easier for me.
There are numerous discussions about being outside Canada while the application is pending, including some very specific observations about the RISKS being outside Canada poses.

Many applicants have reported similarly, that their local office has indicated it is not proceeding with scheduling the oath until there is verification of a return to Canada.

There is a slight difference: not many others report trying to instruct IRCC as to the rules, practices, and procedures. Spoiler alert: very likely the processing agent and responsible officer handling your application know the rules, practices, and procedures. That includes the law requiring adult grant citizenship applicants take the oath IN Canada, so it should be little or no surprise that a local office requires affirmation the applicant is IN Canada for the purposes of scheduling the oath.

Some notes:

A possible exception to the take-the-oath-IN-Canada regulation may be allowed in special cases, but so far it appears this continues to be very unusual.​
There is a tendency among some forum participants to equate "travel" abroad with relocating or residing abroad. This is typically self-serving, from the perspective that living abroad after applying should have no effect at all. Sorry, but it can make a difference (despite no shortage of protests here otherwise, albeit those are almost entirely from the perspective of how-they-think-things-should-work, not a candid perspective of how things actually do work). In terms of the technical effect relative to what the rules are, it is not much different, but the practical impact, particularly in terms of procedural risks, is an increased risk that IRCC will approach the applicant in some non-routine manner. Discussed at length in numerous other topics.​

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017

Make a complaint to your MP.

Nocturno

Jun 5, 2016
There is a tendency among some forum participants to equate "travel" abroad with relocating or residing abroad. This is typically self-serving, from the perspective that living abroad after applying should have no effect at all. Sorry, but it can make a difference (despite no shortage of protests here otherwise, albeit those are almost entirely from the perspective of how-they-think-things-should-work, not a candid perspective of how things actually do work). In terms of the technical effect relative to what the rules are, it is not much different, but the practical impact, particularly in terms of procedural risks, is an increased risk that IRCC will approach the applicant in some non-routine manner. Discussed at length in numerous other topics.
So, as stated, coming back to Canada to take the oath was never in question - I was always prepared to do that, and I've made that clear. I just didn't see why it would be necessary to stay in the country while the long application processing takes place. I'm ok with my application being treated differently, procedurally - as long as said treatment is still compliant with the citizenship law, which clearly lists the requirements one must satisfy to become a Canadian citizen, and staying in the country while citizenship is pending is not one of them. It is not "how I think things should work" - it is actually the current law (since 2017 or so). I think IRCC should not be sending communication that's perhaps adhering to the pre-2017 law.

Having to come back to take the oath is a legal requirement, I agree - and as stated I'm completely OK with that. I wouldn't mind receiving communication that reminds me of that. Instead, it seems to me like that they wanted me to come back to the country to make sure I would be physically present for the oath, but that's conflating different things, and perhaps not taking into account that applications take much longer to be completed these days than they used to (it used to be 6 months end to end).

3shiro

Star Member
May 22, 2020
So, as stated, coming back to Canada to take the oath was never in question - I was always prepared to do that, and I've made that clear. I just didn't see why it would be necessary to stay in the country while the long application processing takes place. I'm ok with my application being treated differently, procedurally - as long as said treatment is still compliant with the citizenship law, which clearly lists the requirements one must satisfy to become a Canadian citizen, and staying in the country while citizenship is pending is not one of them. It is not "how I think things should work" - it is actually the current law (since 2017 or so). I think IRCC should not be sending communication that's perhaps adhering to the pre-2017 law.

Having to come back to take the oath is a legal requirement, I agree - and as stated I'm completely OK with that. I wouldn't mind receiving communication that reminds me of that. Instead, it seems to me like that they wanted me to come back to the country to make sure I would be physically present for the oath, but that's conflating different things, and perhaps not taking into account that applications take much longer to be completed these days than they used to (it used to be 6 months end to end).
My brother did everything outside canada just waiting for oath, now he is in Canada since February 2022, no email for oath or anything yet.
Not sure about if you have to email them when you arrive in Canada to start processing the rest of your application.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
My brother did everything outside canada just waiting for oath, now he is in Canada since February 2022, no email for oath or anything yet.
Not sure about if you have to email them when you arrive in Canada to start processing the rest of your application.
If IRCC (at this stage meaning the processing agent or citizenship officer responsible for the case in the local office) has asked for information about returning to Canada, of course the applicant should provide that information. Otherwise, generally, like everyone, BE SURE to keep IRCC informed as to the applicant's address (where the applicant is actually living, not some phony-baloney-address used to pretend to be living in Canada) and otherwise it is a waiting-game . . . which these days tends to still be a rather lengthy waiting game for all too many.

As referenced, SOME local offices appear to require verification the applicant is IN Canada prior to scheduling the oath.

Other local offices appear to be satisfied if the applicant provides a planned date of return.

Yet it also appears that some applicants who are outside Canada are scheduled for the oath without either, without having to declare when they will be in Canada let alone providing documentation to show actual return to Canada.

Not all practices are uniform across the various local offices. Depends on the local office.

It is also possible, however, that even within a local office there is some variability in how applicants known to be abroad are handled.

To what extent the practices are reasonable, within the scope of what a Federal Court might rule, these various approaches probably pass the courts' reasonableness standards.

Whether this is as it should be in a broader, how-things-should-work perspective, here again there is no shortage of commentary in the forum.

In contrast I focus on sharing what we can learn about how things actually work. And, the way they work in regards to applicants outside Canada, the jury is still out in regards to how much there continues to be a risk that the applicant might be subject to elevated scrutiny (historically the risks have been significantly higher for those abroad after applying), and otherwise we see the variations in practices regarding affirmation of the applicant's return or presence in Canada.

As @Dreamlad suggested, you could protest the way the office handling your application is proceeding, but frankly forecasting the effect of that is easy: near none if any at all.

You could make a demand similar to what a lawyer might do to set up the requisites for a Writ of Mandamus application. Or hire a lawyer to do that. I cannot forecast how that will go. Some forum anecdotal reporting indicates this effectively moves the process ahead, but the numbers are too low to draw conclusions of the efficacy of lawyer-made demands let alone those made by the applicant personally.

Edit to add note regarding "I think IRCC should not be sending communication that's perhaps adhering to the pre-2017 law." There is no hint that the practices related to applicants abroad are about pre-2017 law.

If you are referencing the very briefly applicable provision in the Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act that imposed the intent to continue residing in Canada, which took effect in June 2015 but was no longer applied by the end of that year (and formally, completely repealed as of later in 2017), that is totally irrelevant to the process. There is a contingency in this forum which has made a concerted effort to conflate underlying rationales for elevated scrutiny of abroad applicants with that provision, but that has largely been an effort to press personal agendas and criticism of the process, and not rooted at all in what the rules are or have been, or actual policies and practices in applying the rules. That has caused much confusion.

That said, the particular practice (by just some local offices it appears) to verify the applicant is IN Canada before scheduling the oath is probably NOT related to elevated scrutiny but rather allocation of on-going limited resources. It may be temporary, about giving priority to candidates located in Canada until the huge backlog is resolved. Which again seems likely to pass the Federal Court's reasonableness standards, which is the parameter imposed by law, and to be sure, that is current law.

But it might otherwise be about reserving local office resources by simply not scheduling out-of-Canada applicants for the oath unless and until it is established the applicant is available to attend the oath IN Canada. This could be tested in the Federal Court, by the Mandamus process, and as I noted it is possible that the requisite pre-Mandamus demand itself may be enough incentive to get the oath scheduled.

Last edited:

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
inform by web form -send copy of boarding pass , air tkt , copy of passport stamp or any utility bill your prove you are in Canada

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
I knew it. Even if you're back, they wouldn't expedite the process.

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Yeah, unfortunately starting from test time until after we get passport, we are pretty much prisoners on parole who are confined to certain geographic boundaries. Cannot leave the country, or even the province in some cases. Except that our parole can last anywhere from 2 weeks to years and years, and we have no idea where each of us will fall in that spectrum.

Reactions: Dreamlad

annabusdra

Jan 9, 2018
Hey there.

I have been most of my application time outside of the country (study reasons), but maintaining all my ties with Canada (phone plan, paid taxes, driver license, working remotely for a Canadian company), and so far the application went pretty fast. I have plan to return fairly soon, although no set date.
When receiving the test invite, I had the feeling that taking the test outside of Canada would have put my file “under observation”, so I flew back specifically for the occasion and took my test in Montreal.
I hope to receive the oath invite before 2023, but in the meantime, I’ll keep you guys posted.

gosatyasree

Sep 14, 2017
Hyderabad
As it's mentioned on the website, it varies from case to case.
My ceremony was scheduled in April, 2022 and I've asked them to reschedule it as I was out of Canada.
I've requested them to move it to July, 2022 by showing them a return ticket.
Local processing office informed me almost instantly that they'll be able to reschedule the ceremony only upon my landing, which is a reasonable explanation.
I've landed in July 2022 and informed the office immediately.
Ceremony is scheduled for August 9, 2022.

vir03

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013

Hello, Do you know for sure if they can send the certificate to USA? Do you know if someone has received the certificate in the USA?
Does the address on file from USA is enough to have the certificate send to USA?