+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new PRs flown to Canada with ETA but no PR card?

Skitz

Star Member
Mar 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/06/2016
AOR Received.
19/07/2016
File Transfer...
23/08/2016
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
DM 22nd Jan/ PPR 23rd Jan 2017
VISA ISSUED...
PPR sent 25th Jan/Jan 31st
Rob_TO said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16
Lols! Thanks, saw that already. I am clear from CIC's end that a COPR is enough to travel with a visa exempt passport - question was more, are airlines aware of this rule and has anyone had a contrary experience :) even after showing the exact same directive to airline staff!

Then there is a little blue box that also says PR's exempt from ETA but technically we aren't PR's unless we land.....

methyl

Feb 1, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
29-07-2016, Received 02-08-2016. Out of status app.
Doc's Request.
PGR 30-11-2016
Nomination.....
SA Approved 31-08-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1 23-08-2016. AOR2 30-11-2016
File Transfer...
31-08-2016
Med's Done....
28-06-2016
Passport Req..
17-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2017
LANDED..........
31-07-2017
Skitz said:
Lols! Thanks, saw that already. I am clear from CIC's end that a COPR is enough to travel with a visa exempt passport - question was more, are airlines aware of this rule and has anyone had a contrary experience :) even after showing the exact same directive to airline staff!

Then there is a little blue box that also says PR's exempt from ETA but technically we aren't PR's unless we land.....
Airlines don't ask to see your ETA anyway, authorization to board you onto a flight to Canada is provided through a computer. They will scan your passport and tell you whether you're good to go. COPR associated with your passport will serve the function of the ETA

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Skitz said:

My passport always throws a "do not board" but then I show them my PR card and they override the "do not board". I would assume it is similar with an unused CoPR.

By the way, this shows how ridiculous all this stuff is. I mean a CoPR is just a black and white printed document with a photo attached to it. Of course, once in Canada they would realize that the CoPR is fake by scanning the code. But any person with a visa-exempt passport could probably go around the eTA requirement by printing a CoPR to show at the gate. Not that I am encouraging anyone to do that.

gioswaby

Sep 13, 2013
Did anyone ever find out if new PRs could travel on still valid ETA without PR card? My ETA is still valid and I landed on Jan 29th.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Did anyone ever find out if new PRs could travel on still valid ETA without PR card? My ETA is still valid and I landed on Jan 29th.
As long as eTA is valid, then you should be allowed boarding.

Just be aware the eTA can be cancelled at anytime, so better hope it's still active when you attempt to board the flight home.

luic

Feb 27, 2016
Is there any harm of an established PR attempts to obtain eTA on a visa exempt passport and nationality which have not yet been linked to his PR profile as the nationality of the visa exempt passport was obtained after landing?
isn't the worest case is that the eTA will be denied? are there other implications of an eTA being denied?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Is there any harm of an established PR attempts to obtain eTA on a visa exempt passport and nationality which have not yet been linked to his PR profile as the nationality of the visa exempt passport was obtained after landing?
isn't the worest case is that the eTA will be denied? are there other implications of an eTA being denied?
guess the answer is here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1252&top=16

Quote ‘by law Canadian PRs cannot apply for an ETA’

Does not say what the penalty might be but the fact that you know you would not qualify might be enough to show intent. Would likely be denied or questioned anyway simply based on name/DOB/country birth/town required for an ETA application regardless of the passport info.

Last edited:

luic

Feb 27, 2016
guess the answer is here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1252&top=16

Quote ‘by law Canadian PRs cannot apply for an ETA’

Does not say what the penalty might be but the fact that you know you would not qualify might be enough to show intent. Would likely be denied or questioned anyway simply based on name/DOB/country birth/town required for an ETA application regardless of the passport info.
..it looks like the only implication is being denied an eTA and loss of fees paid. There is no mention of an application by PR being an offence or misrepresentation. I am just exploring options of being able to fly back to Canada whilst my PR card renewal is pending...

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
..it looks like the only implication is being denied an eTA and loss of fees paid. There is no mention of an application by PR being an offence or misrepresentation. I am just exploring options of being able to fly back to Canada whilst my PR card renewal is pending...
Simple really come back via a US/Canada land border, assuming as a visa exempt passport holder maybe also qualify for a US ESTA to fly into the US. No need then to try bending the ETA application rules as a PR.

IRCC are pretty clever on identifying PRs given plenty of people who got PR status 30 odd years ago but never stayed then applied for an ETA and IRCC identified them as PRs forcing them to renounce if they wanted an ETA. So having a different passport is no guarantee of success they just use the basic means to Id a PR regardless of current or previous passport.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My experience. I got ETA just before the landing and I got cancellation message within 2 months after landing. So they do check the system ever so often and cancel them. I would not risk it.

luic

Feb 27, 2016
My experience. I got ETA just before the landing and I got cancellation message within 2 months after landing. So they do check the system ever so often and cancel them. I would not risk it.
THX, I would not certainly apply for eTA knowing it is not right. I will see how my application for PR card turns around and play with the rules..the safest course of action

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
THX, I would not certainly apply for eTA knowing it is not right. I will see how my application for PR card turns around and play with the rules..the safest course of action
Once you are in the system, you will even not get any ETA anymore. Good luck

QC2018

Mar 26, 2018
My experience: I am a new PR (just under 1 month ago) and have not received my PR card yet. I flew back to Canada from the US yesterday and was able to board without any issues.

I had an ETA before landing and according to the online tool it was still valid. I thought there was a good chance that I would not be allowed to board but the flight was already paid for and I would be going to the airport anyway to help my girlfriend with her bags. Upon seeing my passport (and presumably after noticing that it was neither US nor Canadian), the lady at the check-in counter asked me if I had a residence in Canada or a "residence card". I simply replied that I had an ETA. She then proceeded to scan my passport and press some buttons on the computer, before printing out my boarding pass. Everything went smoothly. The CBSA agent in Toronto didn't bat an eyelid.

So it is possible for a new but card-less PR with a not-yet-cancelled ETA to board a plane to Canada.

Of course, nobody should place too much stock on this one interaction. I had nothing to lose and because I was in the US (New York) I had the option of simply getting a bus back to Montreal. Maybe I was just lucky.

Reactions: dpenabill

leemegan

Aug 9, 2017
My experience: I am a new PR (just under 1 month ago) and have not received my PR card yet. I flew back to Canada from the US yesterday and was able to board without any issues.

I had an ETA before landing and according to the online tool it was still valid. I thought there was a good chance that I would not be allowed to board but the flight was already paid for and I would be going to the airport anyway to help my girlfriend with her bags. Upon seeing my passport (and presumably after noticing that it was neither US nor Canadian), the lady at the check-in counter asked me if I had a residence in Canada or a "residence card". I simply replied that I had an ETA. She then proceeded to scan my passport and press some buttons on the computer, before printing out my boarding pass. Everything went smoothly. The CBSA agent in Toronto didn't bat an eyelid.

So it is possible for a new but card-less PR with a not-yet-cancelled ETA to board a plane to Canada.

Of course, nobody should place too much stock on this one interaction. I had nothing to lose and because I was in the US (New York) I had the option of simply getting a bus back to Montreal. Maybe I was just lucky.
Just curious, you filled out the visitor or PR customs declaraton form when you entered toronto?

QC2018

Mar 26, 2018
Just curious, you filled out the visitor or PR customs declaraton form when you entered toronto?
Others can correct me if I am mistaken but I think that there is only one form. You can fill it out either as a visitor or a resident (as opposed to a PR) depending on your situation. So I filled it out as a resident, as I had done before becoming a PR.