+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new information on the latest announced travel restrictions please post here

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
To be considered vaccinated you will need to remain in the US for 14 days after you get vaccinated. The issue is most people don't have a legitimate quarantine plan. Are you alone in your home or only with the people you have travelled with or do you have your own basement suite which will allow you to not have contact with anyone you have not travelled with?
I am travelling with my wife, and yes, we will be alone where we are staying. It's a small guest house on her dad's property. We are also going to be in a rural area where our closest neighbours are a kilometre down the road. We are lucky to have access to an ideal quarantine location.

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
To be considered vaccinated you will need to remain in the US for 14 days after you get vaccinated. The issue is most people don't have a legitimate quarantine plan. Are you alone in your home or only with the people you have travelled with or do you have your own basement suite which will allow you to not have contact with anyone you have not travelled with?
As far as most people not having a "legitimate" quarantine plane, that's usually not their fault. People have access to the property they own/rent or where family/friends can house them. The solution shouldn't be to impose a $2,000+ burden on people with limited resources, especially when it doesn't seem to be working. There is a difference between taking a weekend trip to Cancun and families relocating permanently from abroad. The two groups shouldn't be treated the same.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As far as most people not having a "legitimate" quarantine plane, that's usually not their fault. People have access to the property they own/rent or where family/friends can house them. The solution shouldn't be to impose a $2,000+ burden on people with limited resources, especially when it doesn't seem to be working. There is a difference between taking a weekend trip to Cancun and families relocating permanently from abroad. The two groups shouldn't be treated the same.
You know that it's not actually $2000+, right? The original statement was up to two thousand, and in practice it's considerably less.

One has to actually check what the hotels are charging. Obviously not free but per person goes down if sharing a room,etc. And some hotels better than others.

Fang_89

Star Member
Sep 22, 2020
Any news on hotels (preferably Vancouver) that allow you to get a refund for the day(s) you don't use if you get your results on day 2?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You know that it's not actually $2000+, right? The original statement was up to two thousand, and in practice it's considerably less.

One has to actually check what the hotels are charging. Obviously not free but per person goes down if sharing a room,etc. And some hotels better than others.
Travelers staying at highend hotels such as Fairmont can easily spend as much as $2000 + if they include add-ons such as better internet, dining credits, pet fee, etc.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Travelers staying at highend hotels such as Fairmont can easily spend as much as $2000 + if they include add-ons such as better internet, dining credits, pet fee, etc.
Sure. You can spend a lot more if you wish. You can also spend a thousand on a gold flaked hamburger. But the option to pay more is not really relevant to the complaint that it's too expensive.

Reactions: his*marty and cjr

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sure. You can spend a lot more if you wish. You can also spend a thousand on a gold flaked hamburger. But the option to pay more is not really relevant to the complaint that it's too expensive.
I think I buried the turn of phrase I borrowed from some economist, that a thousand dollar hamburger on the menu at a five star restaurant doesn't really tell you anything about the price of ground beef at the butcher's. Anyway off topic but always liked that formulation.

Reactions: his*marty

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
As a reasonable person it makes sense to safely quarantine at home if you have access to property, unfortunately some don't and they are not interested in following the rules. The government has data on this and decided to impose their tactics due to the bad behavior by some putting Canadians at risk. If everyone followed the rules I'm sure there would be no 3-day hotel stay and it was not designed to be convenient or cost effective.

In my area some more affluent travelers just paid the $3k fine and went home after they arrived at YVR because they were concerned with their own safety and didn't want to have any issues at the quarantine hotels that was reported in the media. I am aware of a popular quarantine hotel in Toronto that was removed from the approved government reservation line due to a covid outbreak along with many issues at other hotels.

Travelers are clearly not happy and if you have limited resources then why travel at this time?
It's going to cost you something If you absolutely have to.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If people can not afford a quarantine location that will not put non-travelers at risk then people shouldn't be travelling. The hotel quarantine was put in place to hopefully prevent infected people going into situations where they then spread covid to their entire household. It still happens because people can develop covid after their initial airport screening. If current quarantine methods were working we would have no community spread of the delta variant.

Reactions: Idrissrafd

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
What’s going on with Peel region lol I went outside to the park (a big one in Mississauga) with my wife. Everyone is swimming (kids, adults), barbecue, parties, playing, almost no masks, no social distancing, dancing.
I’ve never seen such a big mess. I don’t know if people are tired or something else :(

We left quickly lol

Reactions: Fang_89

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
As a reasonable person it makes sense to safely quarantine at home if you have access to property, unfortunately some don't and they are not interested in following the rules. The government has data on this and decided to impose their tactics due to the bad behavior by some putting Canadians at risk. If everyone followed the rules I'm sure there would be no 3-day hotel stay and it was not designed to be convenient or cost effective.

In my area some more affluent travelers just paid the $3k fine and went home after they arrived at YVR because they were concerned with their own safety and didn't want to have any issues at the quarantine hotels that was reported in the media. I am aware of a popular quarantine hotel in Toronto that was removed from the approved government reservation line due to a covid outbreak along with many issues at other hotels.

Travelers are clearly not happy and if you have limited resources then why travel at this time?
It's going to cost you something If you absolutely have to.
If you are talking about leisure travel, you have a point. Leisure travel can be postponed. But what about people who have work contracts abroad that are coming to an end and need to return to Canada because their visa is expiring or because they need another source of income? "Now is not the time to travel" is an overly broad statement that doesn't account for all circumstances.

lovemydoggie

Star Member
Apr 29, 2020
Does anyone think that Canada will be closed off to unvaccinated people in the near future? For example, only vaccinated people can enter the country? I'm probably just being paranoid, but I keep worrying about it. I plan on moving back to Canada at the beginning of July, and my husband (PA) will go to Canada at the end of July. We're in Japan now, and there's no way that we'll be able to get vaccinated anytime soon.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Does anyone think that Canada will be closed off to unvaccinated people in the near future? For example, only vaccinated people can enter the country? I'm probably just being paranoid, but I keep worrying about it. I plan on moving back to Canada at the beginning of July, and my husband (PA) will go to Canada at the end of July. We're in Japan now, and there's no way that we'll be able to get vaccinated anytime soon.
It's far too early for them to bring in something like this, so no. Particularly until there's some more widely-accepted standard documentation demonstrating vaccination. And personally I doubt that there would be such an outright ban on entry for quite some time - not until the vaccine is widely available worldwide.

Much more likely (and already being recommended, although again, too early for them to implement, but probably coming soon...ish) is some kind of differential system where vaccinated individuals would have to quarantine for shorter periods and/or different testing regime. Possibly also with some different treatment depending on where a traveller is coming from (although this will be more controversial with all the different variants and global travel).

At any rate: not much you can specifically do right now except follow the news, keep safe, and get vaccinated when you can

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020

his*marty

Champion Member
Jul 28, 2020
Category........
FAM
I gave some very, very rough calcs before on where vaccination is in Canada - with implied projections - and what I should have done is linked instead to this econ/data expert instead:

The thread has a lot of detail for those interested. Short form: I was far too conservative about when the 'target' levels (eg about 75/75% first and second shots) - I did simplistic and said end-September. This prof's numbers say end-August (of total population - sooner for 75% of those 12 years and older, which should be by mid-August).

Otherwise the same overall points: Canada is shifting quickly to second doses, but even if that wasn't the strategy (as announced), it would still have to happen because ... pretty soon everyone who wants will already have the first shot.

For those who want to compare internationally, some rankings (on various measures) here:

I think it's fair to say that the only comparison on which Canada's doing less well is % of population fully vaccinated - which is a direct result of the deliberate strategy to focus on first-dose vaccinations instead.
I find the stats when provided nationally so different than what we are given provincially. As of June 5, our province is reporting 72.6% first doses and 13% second. The first dose is much higher according to MB stats as compared to what Trevor Tombe has provided... and it wouldn't jump that much since he reported.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/coronavirus/COVID-19-by-the-numbers-569451931.html?utm_source=salesforce&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=COVIDBriefing

Reactions: armoured