+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new information on the latest announced travel restrictions please post here

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Should have been more clear I was talking about the land border with the US specifically, and the hotel quarantine policy specifically. Of course, it is to be expected that home quarantine will be required for those who are unvaccinated for the foreseeable future.
Lots of people going via the US land border from other countries. Until we know more information about covid some form of shorter quarantine and testing would likely be realistic for those who are landing with proof of vaccination. Unfortunately some may lie about their vaccination status, we don't know when immunity will start really decreasing, there may be variants that are less effective to vaccines and some of the vaccines available are much less effective.

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
Lots of people going via the US land border from other countries. Until we know more information about covid some form of shorter quarantine and testing would likely be realistic for those who are landing with proof of vaccination. Unfortunately some may lie about their vaccination status, we don't know when immunity will start really decreasing, there may be variants that are less effective to vaccines and some of the vaccines available are much less effective.
Perhaps. The US has no such rules at the moment, but you are probably correct that Canada will be more strict.

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
Another tricky issue is situations where people are unable to get vaccinated before arriving in Canada as PR. For example, here in Korea, the vaccination rollout has been a disaster, and I won't be able to get one before we leave here in July. That's why we plan on flying to the US first, in hopes of easily getting a jab there before entering Canada. Don't mind doing the 14 day quarantine at home, but I would be upset if we had to shell out 2 grand to stay at a quarantine hotel, especially when the science proves what common sense should already have confirmed: when you put all the at-risk people on top of each other in one place, the virus spreads more easily!

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
I'd believe the police officer visits to be reliable. We're on day 14 of self-isolation in NB after a land entry. The federal government has called multiple times (including wanting to speak with the 1 year old LOL), sent a security guard to talk to us, and there's the Arrive CAN check ins and the day 8 test. The province has sent various peace officers/sheriffs/police every 2-3 days (one day we got police and sheriff in the same day and the second guy to come told us that "it's kinda embarrassing because we're all in one department and we still end up double visiting people"), calls every single day (and won't stop calling until you pick up) and has a day 5 and day 10 test. Haven't seen anyone watching the house but who knows.
Guess they want to make sure you're safe?

Out west they seem to rely on your neighbours to keep watch and the local police would only be involved
if you are affiliated with south Asian gang members.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Your post implied that the hotel quarantine policy actually caused more spread of the virus. Nowhere in the article (nor in the report as far as I'm aware) is that claim made. Some cases of spread within the hotels does not prove that either, since the issue is spread to the community relative to not having the hotel quarantine policy.

The report does criticize the policy on a whole range of points - including some lack of enforcement on arrival (hence the increased fines announced), effectiveness compared to (for example) better enforcement of the at-home isolation requirements, and particularly and especially the major gap, which is that there's no hotel quarantine requirement at the border.

But "science" has not claimed that the policy has resulted in more spread of the virus. No need to make stuff up.

That panel made a number of recommendations - but the government could decide to make it more strict by eg imposing more requirements for those arriving at land borders. (Yes, the panel made different recommendations - but the Premier of Ontario is calling for different things.) Some of those recommendations are not exactly science but about trade-offs - typical public policy stuff - effectiveness vs cost. Government would be perfectly within its rights to decide that more strict at higher cost is better policy (not that I'm saying they will).

Anyway for your specific case, I'm not sure that relying on travelling first to USA to then cross into Canada will necessarily be better either individually (eg access to vaccines getting quite good now in Canada, you could be surprised by different requirements, etc). Obviously hotel costs are an extra cost, but so is extra legs of travel (usually, does depend on specifics).

One thing 'science' is quite a bit more clear on is that all things being equal, more travel is more risk of spread - and right now, comparative USA/Canada new cases are about the same per capita, and deaths per capita still higher in USA. (Although numbers fluctuate and it does depend a lot on which province and state, etc - at any rate, no easy answers there).

But hotel quarantine causing more spread? No, 'science' did not say that.

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
Your post implied that the hotel quarantine policy actually caused more spread of the virus. Nowhere in the article (nor in the report as far as I'm aware) is that claim made. Some cases of spread within the hotels does not prove that either, since the issue is spread to the community relative to not having the hotel quarantine policy.

The report does criticize the policy on a whole range of points - including some lack of enforcement on arrival (hence the increased fines announced), effectiveness compared to (for example) better enforcement of the at-home isolation requirements, and particularly and especially the major gap, which is that there's no hotel quarantine requirement at the border.

But "science" has not claimed that the policy has resulted in more spread of the virus. No need to make stuff up.

That panel made a number of recommendations - but the government could decide to make it more strict by eg imposing more requirements for those arriving at land borders. (Yes, the panel made different recommendations - but the Premier of Ontario is calling for different things.) Some of those recommendations are not exactly science but about trade-offs - typical public policy stuff - effectiveness vs cost. Government would be perfectly within its rights to decide that more strict at higher cost is better policy (not that I'm saying they will).

Anyway for your specific case, I'm not sure that relying on travelling first to USA to then cross into Canada will necessarily be better either individually (eg access to vaccines getting quite good now in Canada, you could be surprised by different requirements, etc). Obviously hotel costs are an extra cost, but so is extra legs of travel (usually, does depend on specifics).

One thing 'science' is quite a bit more clear on is that all things being equal, more travel is more risk of spread - and right now, comparative USA/Canada new cases are about the same per capita, and deaths per capita still higher in USA. (Although numbers fluctuate and it does depend a lot on which province and state, etc - at any rate, no easy answers there).

But hotel quarantine causing more spread? No, 'science' did not say that.
I can see I've opened a can of debate worms here haha. I understand the nuances of the situation, but perhaps I could have worded it better. Maybe something along the lines of: "there is a legitimate scientific and public health oriented case for getting rid of hotel quarantine." In any case, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I simply wish to point out that reasonable people may disagree. And I only share my own circumstances to illustrated that these situations aren't always black and white, and people make their best decisions based on what they can control. For the record, we will save close to $1,000 by going to the US first. Not many people in the world are in a position to piss $1,000 away on a hotel if they already have a perfectly legitimate quarantine plan.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Maybe something along the lines of: "there is a legitimate scientific and public health oriented case for getting rid of hotel quarantine."
That's a fair formulation, no argument. There could also be an argument on the other side (although I'm not attempting to make it). But as implemented, definitely LOTS of shortcomings - just not the 'it made things worse' case (as far as I've seen).

And yes, I won't argue/dispute your specific plans - up to you, it's a series of trade-offs. I doubt it's an improvement on covid only terms to add extra legs, but that's not the only factor. Personally I'm hoping the hotel quarantine lifted before becomes an issue for us - larger family, more costs, and we should all be fully vaccinated by then.

(I've been through the "extra days of travel" vs somewhat less out-of-pocket decision many times. Sometimes it's worth the money, if you have it. But an individual choice.)

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
A little bit disappointed, Canada and US are listed in the orange zone instead of the green zone like Australia. But apparently it's more a question of having a standardised digital proof. Apparently Canada still doesn't have any kind of vaccination passport or standardized document to show who has been vaccinated and who hasn't (from what I've read in ctvnews.ca/).

(...)
- Negotiations with US -

But travel to and from much of the rest of the world where the virus is still actively circulating will remain subject to stricter controls.

In "orange" zones including Britain, North America and most of Asia and Africa, even vaccinated travellers to France will still have to produce a recent negative Covid test, but they will no longer have to prove compelling reasons to visit.

For non-vaccinated people coming from orange zones, however, only essential trips such as medical or family emergencies will be allowed, the government said, and a seven-day self-quarantine will be imposed.

Asked why tests will be required even from vaccinated American visitors, Transport Minister Jean-Baptiste Djebbari said the problem was a lack of standardised digital proof.

"They have vaccinated lots of people but they haven't digitised it -- when you get vaccinated you often just get a sheet of paper," Djebbari told CNews television.

"We're negotiating with them, and the goal is still to open up for North America, Canada and the United States, and parts of Africa," he said, adding that he hoped to have results in the coming weeks.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210604-green-orange-or-red-france-eases-summer-travel-rules

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
A little bit disappointed, Canada and US are listed in the orange zone instead of the green zone like Australia. But apparently it's more a question of having a standardised digital proof. Apparently Canada still doesn't have any kind of vaccination passport or standardized document to show who has been vaccinated and who hasn't (from what I've read in ctvnews.ca/).

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210604-green-orange-or-red-france-eases-summer-travel-rules
Well that won't make a really significant difference though, the only difference once you are fully vaccinated is a recent negative Covid test. To be fair, I would say that it would be better to require such a test from all, just to have a better shot at avoiding new spread. Sure it adds a bit to the cost of the trip but in the big picture of the full cost of such a trip it is really not much.

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
Well that won't make a really significant difference though, the only difference once you are fully vaccinated is a recent negative Covid test. To be fair, I would say that it would be better to require such a test from all, just to have a better shot at avoiding new spread. Sure it adds a bit to the cost of the trip but in the big picture of the full cost of such a trip it is really not much.
I disagree. We can find some flights to France for 400€ (round trip). The PCR test here in Canada is quite expensive -prices for private COVID-19 tests can range from $160 to $400-, unless you’ve some good deals. And if you’ve a big family that’s another story.
It’s an important element in someone’s budget, except if you’ve good incomes.

Anyway. The last update :

Update on vaccine deliveries: I can now confirm that Canada will receive more than 2 million doses of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine every week until the end of August.

Following our shipments this month, that means we’ll have more than 9 million doses arriving in July, and another 9.1 million doses arriving in August. And given the demand for these vaccines, we’ve also negotiated an option for another 3 million doses of Pfizer’s vaccine to be delivered in September.

We’ll keep working to secure shipments until everyone can get their shots. Right now, among G20 countries, Canada has the highest percentage of the population with a first shot. That’s right where we want to be - because the more people who are vaccinated, the safer we all are and the closer we all get to being through this crisis.
Justin Trudeau.

That’s a good news.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We’ll keep working to secure shipments until everyone can get their shots. Right now, among G20 countries, Canada has the highest percentage of the population with a first shot.
That’s a good news.
I gave some very, very rough calcs before on where vaccination is in Canada - with implied projections - and what I should have done is linked instead to this econ/data expert instead:

The thread has a lot of detail for those interested. Short form: I was far too conservative about when the 'target' levels (eg about 75/75% first and second shots) - I did simplistic and said end-September. This prof's numbers say end-August (of total population - sooner for 75% of those 12 years and older, which should be by mid-August).

Otherwise the same overall points: Canada is shifting quickly to second doses, but even if that wasn't the strategy (as announced), it would still have to happen because ... pretty soon everyone who wants will already have the first shot.

For those who want to compare internationally, some rankings (on various measures) here:

I think it's fair to say that the only comparison on which Canada's doing less well is % of population fully vaccinated - which is a direct result of the deliberate strategy to focus on first-dose vaccinations instead.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I can see I've opened a can of debate worms here haha. I understand the nuances of the situation, but perhaps I could have worded it better. Maybe something along the lines of: "there is a legitimate scientific and public health oriented case for getting rid of hotel quarantine." In any case, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I simply wish to point out that reasonable people may disagree. And I only share my own circumstances to illustrated that these situations aren't always black and white, and people make their best decisions based on what they can control. For the record, we will save close to $1,000 by going to the US first. Not many people in the world are in a position to piss $1,000 away on a hotel if they already have a perfectly legitimate quarantine plan.
To be considered vaccinated you will need to remain in the US for 14 days after you get vaccinated. The issue is most people don't have a legitimate quarantine plan. Are you alone in your home or only with the people you have travelled with or do you have your own basement suite which will allow you to not have contact with anyone you have not travelled with?

Reactions: Idrissrafd

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They didn't actually say get rid of it they say the system should be improved. I also think many might change their suggestions seeing what is going on in Asia and South America at the moment. The medical officer of health in Peel, which has been one of the most problematic regions when it comes to covid, has been calling for improved and stricter quarantine policies once we got our numbers down.