+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new information on the latest announced travel restrictions please post here

aliceee94

Jan 20, 2016
Uhhhhhhhh I have to check out of the hotel at noon tomorrow but my covid test result isn't out yet. If it's not done tomorrow noon does that mean I have to book additional days or?

mahtax

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
How did the hospital not mandate that you not go to work for 14 days? That is more irresponsible than the government quarantine.
The rules specifically say that I'm exempt - who are they to go against federal guidelines?

Besides, I'm the only one in that hospital with two doses of the Moderna vaccine. At that point, I was safer around the patients than any of them. Not that I saw the patients - I dutifully maintained isolation as much as possible as per the guidelines.

Well it is not yet a done deal since he has not yet travelled and I guess it does depend on his work, if the need is actually urgent, this is in place for that, however per Travel.gc, he may still be asked to demonstrate the immediate nature of work required in Canada and why he is unable to quarantine for 14 days.
I wrote that after the fact.

The border agent didn't ask shit. "And you're going to work within the first 14 days, right? Otherwise I can't exempt you from the quarantine." "Absolutely, I start Monday." "Okay, welcome to Canada!" and then a little sticker on my passport, and off I went, being waved through every checkpoint, every test. No followup on ArriveCan, nothing. I was handed a pamphlet, but otherwise I was 100% free, though I still had my groceries delivered, avoided public transit, and self-isolated as per the recommendations.

It's a nice buzz-phrase, but the government said "up to $2000" - at least I'm quite sure that's the way it was phrased, too lazy to check.

Then it costs less than that - from what I've heard, quite a bit less - and the complaint is that government is 'not keeping its word'?

Really?
I remember "at least 2000$". If I had known it was much less, I might have actually done the quarantine. Two weeks vacation would have been nice. Alas.

Last edited:

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
Good news.
It says « The ban will apply to both private and commercial air passenger flights. Passengers departing from either country to Canada via an indirect flight will need to test negative for the virus at their last point of departure. ».

That’s bad !!! What’s the point of suspending direct flights, but not indirect flights ?!!! Yes, a negative test is required at their last transit, and then what ? For direct flights, it’s also required !!!
someone can explain me the logic behind that ?

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Sympathy to those affected.

One warning to anyone impacted by this: do NOT count on or plan on the basis of these restrictions being lifted in 30 days.

Almost all of the travel restrictions currently in place have also been for 30 days - and then are habitually extended every month.

(I believe the reason for the 30 days is legislation that allows government to put such restrictions in place allows only 30-day emergency restrictions - which can be extended, also by law - but declaring outright any longer restriction is not possible under the legislative authority the government has. I'm not certain of that, but the point is that the 30 day announcement says absolutely nothing about how long these measures will be in place)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Why they didn’t allow them to reunite before the situation gets worse day by day ? Before the apparition of the variant.
What? How would that work? The government should have recognized a specific health risk (a dangerous new variant becoming widespread) in a different country and processed some special admissions process just for that country's nationals?

I'm all for government planning in advance, but this sounds like your complaint is that they should have predicted the future AND discriminated in favour of particular nationalities.

Oh, and done this in a way that would ensure that NONE of those being brought in were bringing the variant.

Have you thought this through at all?

Reactions: cjr

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
What? How would that work? The government should have recognized a specific health risk (a dangerous new variant becoming widespread) in a different country and processed some special admissions process just for that country's nationals?

I'm all for government planning in advance, but this sounds like your complaint is that they should have predicted the future AND discriminated in favour of particular nationalities.

Oh, and done this in a way that would ensure that NONE of those being brought in were bringing the variant.

Have you thought this through at all?
They were refusing TRV, using the 179(b); many families were waiting to meet their loved ones (spouses) in Canada... many many months ago while spouses from US and Europe were allowed to come, just because they’ve the good passport.

I thought reunification was something important for Canada...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good news.
It says « The ban will apply to both private and commercial air passenger flights. Passengers departing from either country to Canada via an indirect flight will need to test negative for the virus at their last point of departure. ».

That’s bad !!! What’s the point of suspending direct flights, but not indirect flights ?!!! Yes, a negative test is required at their last transit, and then what ? For direct flights, it’s also required !!!
someone can explain me the logic behind that ?
Not only Indians will be on the file leg of the transit and Canada can't ban Indians from going on their first leg of their flight because they can only ban flights coming into Canada. If you want to blame people blame the people who haven't been quarantining properly. If people had been quarantining properly and none of these variants were infecting whole families including non-travelers and the community it may have not come to this.