+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new information on the latest announced travel restrictions please post here

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
Apologies if this has already be answered...

It seems that spouses of Canadian citizens are still permitted to enter Canada as visitors, even if their PR has not yet been grated. I realize visa requirements still apply, but as a US citizen, I understand I wouldn't require any visa in order to stay for 6 months. When we complete our work contracts in South Korea, would it be considered essential travel for me to enter Canada with my Canadian spouse and to stay with her as a visitor until my PR is processed? My only other option would be to return to the US and stay with family there until PR is granted.

Thanks for any info!

mahtax

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
Apologies if this has already be answered...

It seems that spouses of Canadian citizens are still permitted to enter Canada as visitors, even if their PR has not yet been grated. I realize visa requirements still apply, but as a US citizen, I understand I wouldn't require any visa in order to stay for 6 months. When we complete our work contracts in South Korea, would it be considered essential travel for me to enter Canada with my Canadian spouse and to stay with her as a visitor until my PR is processed? My only other option would be to return to the US and stay with family there until PR is granted.

Thanks for any info!
You have to be careful with the word "essential".

You will be able to enter Canada to visit your Canadian spouse. You do not need to ask for permission.

You will still be subject to the quarantine, including the 3 day special hotel at your own cost (unless you enter through land).

Reactions: YVR123 and Mjg0503

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
Travel restriction update.
Many international travelers had to cancel their flights to Canada due to not being able to book the government approved mandatory
quarantine hotel prior to landing. Seems the contracted booking company GB Travel Canada Inc. is not prepared for this job.

Unable to get through to the call centre, 6 hours or longer on hold, calls dropping off, is causing frustrations for everyone trying to reserve.
No online booking available and excessive hotel fees makes me wonder who came up with this garbage? Strange they are not being
transparent with all the information and they like to use spin doctor words to justify the expenses. ' It's good for the local economy '.

I'm guessing the new Covid variant travel deterrent is working well?

Welcome to Canada
All angry travelers to the quarantine line

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
This is before the new hotel quaratine... and it's at a different kind of facility. I hope that new qualified hotel will have better setup for travellers.

I saw a video of someone who is staying at Fairmont Vancouver Airport and enjoyed her lunch and then later on a steak dinner. I think some hotels have better arrangement. But it likely do come with a cost. (her stay is around $1700)

DiiDii

Apr 8, 2019
Toronto Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston VO
App. Filed.......
01-23-2020
AOR Received.
02-06-2020
File Transfer...
23-01-2021
Med's Request
18-09-2020
Med's Done....
23-09-2020
Passport Req..
13-07-2021

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
This is before the new hotel quaratine... and it's at a different kind of facility. I hope that new qualified hotel will have better setup for travellers.

I saw a video of someone who is staying at Fairmont Vancouver Airport and enjoyed her lunch and then later on a steak dinner. I think some hotels have better arrangement. But it likely do come with a cost. (her stay is around $1700)
Seems their price structure has changed in the past few days as more ' new qualified hotels ' come on board.
I've been in contact with them as well as frustrated overseas travelers unable to get through on the new 1-800 number making it
impossible for them to enjoy their $1700 stay at the Fairmont or one the other 8 hotels near YVR. A few days ago the Westin had
quoted $700 before taxes not including meals...... Suddenly the fees all went up to ' Gouge ' the returning travelers.
It's more cost effective to land at Pearson airport.

https://vancouversun.com/news/covid-19-yvr-arrivals-may-be-walking-away-opting-for-fines-over-mandatory-hotel-quarantine

Alwx

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
Would hope the fines will increase.
But some of those people might have traveled abroad for urgent reasons. If you believe you really needed to travel abroad for personal matters just walk away and if you get a fine just don't pay and dispute it instead.

Reactions: Lisaexpat

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Seems their price structure has changed in the past few days as more ' new qualified hotels ' come on board.
I've been in contact with them as well as frustrated overseas travelers unable to get through on the new 1-800 number making it
impossible for them to enjoy their $1700 stay at the Fairmont or one the other 8 hotels near YVR. A few days ago the Westin had
quoted $700 before taxes not including meals...... Suddenly the fees all went up to ' Gouge ' the returning travelers.
It's more cost effective to land at Pearson airport.

https://vancouversun.com/news/covid-19-yvr-arrivals-may-be-walking-away-opting-for-fines-over-mandatory-hotel-quarantine
This is part of the news.

The size of the fine isn’t known. The PHAC’s website lists fines for not complying with public health orders under the Quarantine Act, ranging from $825 to $3,000.

Gagnon said in his email that “travellers are legally obligated to follow the instructions of a screening officer or quarantine officer through the 14-day period, whether in regards to testing, transit to locations, their mandatory hotel stopover or during quarantine at home,” and maximum penalties for non-compliance are $750,000 or six months in jail.
However, nothing has been planned on how to implement any of the violation yet.

Alwx

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
Since pandemic started some people have been fined for breaking quarantine rules no more than 1000 despite government threats of 750 000 and 6 months in jail. But this is different. You are not breaking any rules. You just had to travel abroad to care for a sick relative, for example. Now you come back and you want to quarantine at home. Why would you agree to pay for 3 days hotel quarantine when you have a place to quarantine properly. Just ignore their stupid rules and quarantine at home. Even police understand this and say they are not going to arrest anyone because of this. Because they know this is stupid.