+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new information on the latest announced travel restrictions please post here

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you kidding? The government's big plan is to test people on the day they travel, wait for them to incubate for 3 days... and then let them get back on the plane to their final destination! :D
Was speaking about the rules stated on the federal website. Also think the lack of enforcement is pretty ridiculous. There is essentially no screening to see if people are quarantining properly. A large majority of people are quarantining with non-travelling family including in the same bed. The federal government covid line had been telling family members (including spouses) that they could return to work while quarantining with people as long as the people quarantining didn't have symptoms. I am hopeful that this advice has changed but this seems to have lead to the Roberta LTC covid explosion. Also not a fan of the current plan with the 3 days hotel and then putting people on domestic flights. I was hopeful that we would have followed the lead of New Zealand and Australia but they are an island and I assume this was a compromise to keep the cost more palatable. Before people comment I know quarantine was free in NZ but was first limited to citizens and now PRs and a limited number weekly.. I am curious to see how many people start flying into the US and driving which is a huge loophole. Our government is not a total disaster but they are so slow to respond and could have certainly done a much better job. Curious if we'll ever know how many visitors flew into Canada with covid and ended up in hospital on the government's dime. We seems to have approved most extended family travel and not sure why allowing all parents of PRs and citizens to enter Canada made sense.

Read this case yesterday and this just highlights my frustrations. We are so slow when processing and are too nice.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/322165/Port-Coquitlam-woman-linked-to-massive-immigration-fraud-granted-appeal

Reactions: Qwertypod

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Every region is able to add additional public health rules. Check your area although many people are asked by CBSA on arrival about how they are getting home and are told not to take public transportation. I am not sure who was consulted with any of these rules because most of them break basic public health principle based on what we know about covid. They have gotten slightly better but some provinces have seen all the gaps and now intervene. The Maritimes have not been perfect but after NS realized that the rules weren't clear they actually started specifying that isolation means only remaining with those you have been travelling for 14 days in a separate home/hotel/airbnb. The outbreak at Roberta LTC proves why the federal government published quarantine rules make no sense. I wonder if Dr Tam or other public health officers even read the website? Would imagine most would be outraged.

I tell everyone that quarantine rules in place are not effective and to trust nobody.
You keep telling me to check local rules but you haven't provided any examples that say what you claim. It shouldn't be too hard to find rules saying "no public transport at all" given the fact that there are only four airports accepting international flights and thus four jurisdictions to quickly check.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You keep telling me to check local rules but you haven't provided any examples that say what you claim. It shouldn't be too hard to find rules saying "no public transport at all" given the fact that there are only four airports accepting international flights and thus four jurisdictions to quickly check.
https://manitoba.ca/covid19/restoring/transportation.html

Varies by location. Not going to look up every city/ptovince.

mahtax

Star Member
Dec 26, 2019
It says "advice". It uses the phrasing "Avoid public transportation" and then goes on to say "Use of taxis or hotel shuttles by returning travelers [...] is NOT recommended. However, if you do not have access to a private vehicle, this could be considered"

None of these are hard rules, and they say taxis and ubers are allowed anyway.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
https://manitoba.ca/covid19/restoring/transportation.html

Varies by location. Not going to look up every city/ptovince.
The link you post says the opposite of what you claim (not permitted to use taxis, Ubers):
  • Use of taxis or hotel shuttles by returning travelers who are not experiencing symptoms (e.g., cough, fever, sore throat, runny nose) of a respiratory illness is NOT recommended. However, if you do not have access to a private vehicle, this could be considered provided you follow all requirements as outlined under the advice for vehicles for hire (e.g., taxi drivers) and their passengers, specifically the requirement related to transporting one fare at a time (e.g. people from the same household).
I have a lot of respect for your contributions here but any time the medical system comes up, your (generally righteous) concerns quickly transform into some variant of "get off my lawn" arguments.

Yes, the government has stupid requirements. But no, you're not banned from taking taxis from the airport if you have no other options.

This will change after Feb 22, where you won't be allowed to take a taxi to the quarantine hotel.

Reactions: JohnnyToronto

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The link you post says the opposite of what you claim (not permitted to use taxis, Ubers):

I have a lot of respect for your contributions here but any time the medical system comes up, your (generally righteous) concerns quickly transform into some variant of "get off my lawn" arguments.

Yes, the government has stupid requirements. But no, you're not banned from taking taxis from the airport if you have no other options.

This will change after Feb 22, where you won't be allowed to take a taxi to the quarantine hotel.
Public transportation have never included ubers or taxis. That would be considered a private car for hire. Public transportation included but is not limited to trains, buses and subways.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
[/QUOTE]

The airport authority is working out details for a designated shuttle bus to transport incoming travelers to the quarantine hotel.
I was told the costs may vary somewhat for the 3-day stay with a Covid test and there will be exemptions?

Until enforceable regulations are put in effect it's pretty much a free-for-all regarding transportation to and from the airport and
not everyone is concerned with Covid or following the rules.

Probably not a good time to be travelling unless you absolutely have to.

Reactions: k.h.p.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Public transportation have never included ubers or taxis. That would be considered a private car for hire. Public transportation included but is not limited to trains, buses and subways.
The link you posted still doesn't say that public transportation is prohibited, though perhaps it should. Sigh.

rahulj

Feb 11, 2021
The new restrictions take effect February 22. You missed the deadline, friend.

You will need to pay 2000$ to wait 3 days for the test to clear, and then you will quarantine at home for the remainder of the 14 days.
I cannot come before Feb 22. I think its better for me to stay here for some time.

But i have a problem, my PR card will expire next month. In the last 5 years i was in Canada for 4 years. I satisfy residency requirements for PR status for another 2 years. That means i can apply for PRTD anytime in the next 2 years and then travel to Canada. Am i right ?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I cannot come before Feb 22. I think its better for me to stay here for some time.

But i have a problem, my PR card will expire next month. In the last 5 years i was in Canada for 4 years. I satisfy residency requirements for PR status for another 2 years. That means i can apply for PRTD anytime in the next 2 years and then travel to Canada. Am i right ?
Yes.

Reactions: mahtax

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The link you posted still doesn't say that public transportation is prohibited, though perhaps it should. Sigh.
It is probably illegal to bar people from public transportation if you are a tax payer but not sure how clear the government has to be that nobody should be using public transportation to go to your quarantine location.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It is probably illegal to bar people from public transportation if you are a tax payer but not sure how clear the government has to be that nobody should be using public transportation to go to your quarantine location.
So your insistence that you've never been allowed to take public transportation is what? A run-on sentence without punctuation?

And it's not illegal to bar people from public transportation solely on the basis that they are a taxpayer. In fact, being a "taxpayer" is rarely used as a hinge on which to deny access to things - it's typically "citizen," "citizen/PR," etc. There is, in fact, at least one order under the Quarantine Act that says anyone with symptoms is prohibited from taking public transit from the airport - taxpayer or not.

Reactions: cjr and mahtax