+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ANY AMERICANS WORKING IN NS??? PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Julie0430

Nov 28, 2008
Hi guys, I'm new to all of this and I could really use some help to get my 23 year old American bf of 3.5 years to come live with me at the end of December. He going to be graduating with a Video Production Associates Degree so we're hoping somone will hire him in the Halifax area. Has anyone out there gone through a similar process?? I'm just curious on a few things:
1- Is he allowed to come over from NJ to look for work?
2- If he gets a job offer and a positive LMO can we just drive to the nearest border and apply there for a permit as he enters back into Canada?
3- How long will a LMO take?
4- What are the restrictions for Americans on this work permit?
5- He wants to work in video/film/tv will he need a medical exam and police clearence?
6- Could he still get denied entry if he tells the officer that he intends to stay for a few months hping to find work? What should he say???

If anyone has any thoughts or guidance I would really appreciate to hear from you!! -Thank you

Julie0430

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Probably not allowed strictly speaking but a lot of people do it as long as he isn't advertising it to border control that's what he's planning to do

2. Yes

3. Depends on many things, how busy they are, you lucky you get, could be from a few weeks to a few months

4. He can only work for the employer who gets the LMO. If he wants to change, the new employer needs a new LMO for him and he needs to go to the border again

5. Probably not

6. He's coming to visit his gf, it's true, right?

Julie0430

Nov 28, 2008
Hi Leon,

What should he tell the border officer when he comes here? So you're saying not to mention that he's comming to visit his gf or that he will be looking for work? How long should he say he's going to stay here??!
Thanks for your help, do you have any other advise?!