+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Answer to question 4b (change of name) in Citizenship application after splitting name

india_user25

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
Hello,

I am filling my application form for Citizenship and need guidance for Q#4B :-

Background :-

- I moved from India, where my Indian passport was having empty Surname/Last Name field i.e. Name was mentioned in passport as "Ranvir Singh" in Given Name field.

- Got my PR Card / COPR in the same name format

- Renewed my Indian passport and split my name i.e. Surname : Singh and Given Name : Ranvir

- Got my PR card updated based on the new Indian Passport

Now, in the citizenship application, there is a question :-

Have you changed your name or gender designation since becoming a Permanent Resident?

Technically, it was not a name change, just splitting my first name and last name.

Can anyone suggest, what should I answer to this question : Yes or No, anyone with similar situation?

Thanks in advance !

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012
Hello,

- I moved from India, where my Indian passport was having empty Surname/Last Name field i.e. Name was mentioned in passport as "Ranvir Singh" in Given Name field.

- Renewed my Indian passport and split my name i.e. Surname : Singh and Given Name : Ranvir

Have you changed your name or gender designation since becoming a Permanent Resident?

Technically, it was not a name change, just splitting my first name and last name.

Can anyone suggest, what should I answer to this question : Yes or No, anyone with similar situation?

Thanks in advance !
I have changed my name. But my question is how did you change your PR Card without a name change certificate?

india_user25

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
I have changed my name. But my question is how did you change your PR Card without a name change certificate?
I used the documents that I used to update my Indian Passport :-

- Affidavit
- Ad in local newspaper in india (2)

I wrote a letter of explanation and provided these documents.

tankala13

Feb 22, 2012
I used the documents that I used to update my Indian Passport :-

- Affidavit
- Ad in local newspaper in india (2)

I wrote a letter of explanation and provided these documents.
I am not sure about this. I didnt update my name in PR before citizenship. I think you would have to mention old name also.

mel_u

Oct 7, 2022
Hello,

Thanks in advance !
Hi india_user25,

I am in the same boat. I got my name split on PR Card without legal name change from provincial authorities. Could you please let me know what to fill in section 4 (a), 4 (b) and section 5.

Thanks in advance