+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Another URGENT do I need a travel document or not post?!?

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
Leon said:
I know they were planning on starting exit checks a couple of years ago. I haven't heard if they did yet but if they did, they would know in the future if somebody meets the RO or not and it should be simpler and faster to renew PR cards and issue travel documents.
This would be an option I agree, I have to admit I always found it strange that I didn't go through immigration when I left Canada. Also found it very strange when I applied for my PRTD that it was up to me to account for the days I'd spent in and out of Canada. One would assume that the immigration department would have a very simple way of checking. I guess not

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They have an agreement with the US to share information and we know they are able to pull information from airline passenger lists to see exits but I don't know how easily available this information is, if it's instant when they want to look it up or if they have to send for it and get it processed. Getting a CBSA travel log is not instant in any case.

I think they make you account for your days to see if you'll lie.

topoki89

Nov 22, 2016
COPRQuestion said:
It's a good question from the OP, I understand why it's not possible to board a plane without the PRTD but some would argue as to why a PRTD is required in the first place. Is it just another way to earn some cash by making people get them or a good way of stopping people with invalid PR's getting on a plane in the first place and then having to deal with them when they arrive.
If we stopped in city with a Canadian Consulate (ex: LA), how long would the application for a PRTD take in person?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
topoki89 said:
If we stopped in city with a Canadian Consulate (ex: LA), how long would the application for a PRTD take in person?
You would need to contact the LA office.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
COPRQuestion said:
It's a good question from the OP, I understand why it's not possible to board a plane without the PRTD but some would argue as to why a PRTD is required in the first place.
Time.

When a commercial flight comes in, they have hundreds of people all at once. It's hard to do a good investigation quickly, so a lot of people have been able to enter when they shouldn't. Background checks are generally done based on name and birthdate - if there's a match, it's often necessary to call the country with the record to make sure the person matches. Checking all the databases takes time.

eTAs and PRTDs give the government time to do their investigations. As a PR coming across the border, they don't know how many days you were and weren't in the country. Canada doesn't yet have strict exit controls (though they are getting better). Requiring you to apply for a new PR card or PRTD ensures that you have to fill out the application to give them the information they need for their investigation, and that they have time to do the investigation. The eTA helps ensure that PRs don't just sneak in using a visa-exempt passport. If a PR applies for an eTA, they have the information to catch the person, and the PR has to lie in the application.

There was a lot of abuse with the PR program, and people getting citizenship who shouldn't have. Chinese nationals in particular were abusing the system - doing things like driving down to the US, then flying to China. When they came back several years later, they had fake documents showing they were "in Canada" for years, and could immediately get citizenship. That is one of the reasons for information sharing with the US - Canada now gets exit records from the US and outbound planes, so they can better detect that kind of fraud.

They lose money on the PRTD.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Leon said:
I know they were planning on starting exit checks a couple of years ago. I haven't heard if they did yet but if they did, they would know in the future if somebody meets the RO or not and it should be simpler and faster to renew PR cards and issue travel documents.
They are most of the way there, with the exchange with the US. Privacy laws keep them from getting 100% of the data - at the moment, they don't exchange data on people who are US citizens or Canadian citizens.

For Chinese individuals (for example), they get most of the data - commercial entry and exit, and land crossings in private vehicles. From what I recall, they don't get private boats outgoing yet.

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
kateg said:
They are most of the way there, with the exchange with the US. Privacy laws keep them from getting 100% of the data - at the moment, they don't exchange data on people who are US citizens or Canadian citizens.

For Chinese individuals (for example), they get most of the data - commercial entry and exit, and land crossings in private vehicles. From what I recall, they don't get private boats outgoing yet.
Are you Chinese by any chance?

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015