+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Another URGENT do I need a travel document or not post?!?

topoki89

Nov 22, 2016
Asking on behalf of my husband, who is Korean (visa-exempt). I am Canadian, and we got married a year a half ago, and have been living/working/going to school in Quebec for two and a half years now. My husband’s PR card expired in July 2016. The application for renewal submitted end of July. It’s in secondary review now (he applied with about 745 days).

We have a 10-day trip planned to Hawaii for mid-December but it’s looking like he won’t get his PR card before we leave. There’s no Canadian consulate on the island we were planning to visit. What should we do? Cancel our trip? Reroute and drive across border to fly? ??? ??? ???

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
Well, you can wait for the seniors in this forum to respond to your query.
From my knowledge, reading through these forums, you can apply for Travel documents with the trip details and ticket copy. You may try this option.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
immigrant7 said:
Well, you can wait for the seniors in this forum to respond to your query.
From my knowledge, reading through these forums, you can apply for Travel documents with the trip details and ticket copy. You may try this option.
You cannot obtain a Travel Document from within Canada. Only from outside of Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
topoki89 said:
Asking on behalf of my husband, who is Korean (visa-exempt). I am Canadian, and we got married a year a half ago, and have been living/working/going to school in Quebec for two and a half years now. My husband’s PR card expired in July 2016. The application for renewal submitted end of July. It’s in secondary review now (he applied with about 745 days).

We have a 10-day trip planned to Hawaii for mid-December but it’s looking like he won’t get his PR card before we leave. There’s no Canadian consulate on the island we were planning to visit. What should we do? Cancel our trip? Reroute and drive across border to fly? ??? ??? ???
With the processing time and the mailing time, it's doubtful that you will be able to apply for a PRTD from Hawaii within 10 days. This means that if his PR card hasn't arrived in time, yes, you will need to either cancel or reroute to land in the US and cross by land.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
topoki89 said:

Your options are limited:
1. Apply for PRTD when you reach Hawaii. This would involve mailing the PRTD app and his passport to the closest visa office (I think in LA). Of course 10 days is very risky for this. If any delays in processing, lost mail, etc he could be stranded there with no passport to return home
2. Re-route flights to a US city close to border, and then drive into Canada (so no PR TD needed).
3. Delay your trip until he has the renewed PR card in hand.

topoki89

Nov 22, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
With the processing time and the mailing time, it's doubtful that you will be able to apply for a PRTD from Hawaii within 10 days. This means that if his PR card hasn't arrived in time, yes, you will need to either cancel or reroute to land in the US and cross by land.
Really appreciate your answer. Thank you!

topoki89

Nov 22, 2016
Rob_TO said:
Your options are limited:
1. Apply for PRTD when you reach Hawaii. This would involve mailing the PRTD app and his passport to the closest visa office (I think in LA). Of course 10 days is very risky for this. If any delays in processing, lost mail, etc he could be stranded there with no passport to return home
2. Re-route flights to a US city close to border, and then drive into Canada (so no PR TD needed).
3. Delay your trip until he has the renewed PR card in hand.
Thank you for your reply. I think we will try to re-routing option. Can you explain why crossing by land makes a difference?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
topoki89 said:
Thank you for your reply. I think we will try to re-routing option. Can you explain why crossing by land makes a difference?
The PR card or PRTD is required to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada; it isn't actually required by CBSA to enter Canada.

If you are crossing by land (provided you are not on a bus or train), you bypass the commercial carrier and go straight to CBSA.

topoki89

Nov 22, 2016
canuck_in_uk said:
The PR card or PRTD is required to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada; it isn't actually required by CBSA to enter Canada.

If you are crossing by land (provided you are not on a bus or train), you bypass the commercial carrier and go straight to CBSA.
Thank you for explaining this. I guess my next question would be.. why would it matter if you have a passport from a visa-exempt country like South Korea. Why would airlines care?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to explain. I really appreciate it!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
topoki89 said:
Thank you for explaining this. I guess my next question would be.. why would it matter if you have a passport from a visa-exempt country like South Korea. Why would airlines care?
Only USA passports are eTA exempt, so possible to board a plane without a valid PR card or PR Travel Doc.

All other passports require a TRV or eTA to board a plane, neither of which is possible to get if you're a PR.

topoki89

Nov 22, 2016
Rob_TO said:
Only USA passports are eTA exempt, so possible to board a plane without a valid PR card or PR Travel Doc.

All other passports require a TRV or eTA to board a plane, neither of which is possible to get if you're a PR.
Thank you!

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
It's a good question from the OP, I understand why it's not possible to board a plane without the PRTD but some would argue as to why a PRTD is required in the first place. Is it just another way to earn some cash by making people get them or a good way of stopping people with invalid PR's getting on a plane in the first place and then having to deal with them when they arrive.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
COPRQuestion said:
It's a good question from the OP, I understand why it's not possible to board a plane without the PRTD but some would argue as to why a PRTD is required in the first place. Is it just another way to earn some cash by making people get them or a good way of stopping people with invalid PR's getting on a plane in the first place and then having to deal with them when they arrive.
I doubt it is a ploy to make money because it probably costs more money to process it than what the fee is. However, it may be less money than than the cost of reporting someone if they enter Canada and do not meet the RO.

I think a part of the reason is also that immigration does not want to leave it to airlines to check old COPR's, expired PR cards with old photos etc. to try to determine if a passenger is a PR or not. They make it simple for them, either a valid PR card or a travel document, that's it.

Reactions: PHCA

COPRQuestion

Aug 30, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-04-16
Doc's Request.
10-06-16
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
12-08-16
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-16
LANDED..........
12-09-16
Leon said:
I doubt it is a ploy to make money because it probably costs more money to process it than what the fee is. However, it may be less money than than the cost of reporting someone if they enter Canada and do not meet the RO.

I think a part of the reason is also that immigration does not want to leave it to airlines to check old COPR's, expired PR cards with old photos etc. to try to determine if a passenger is a PR or not. They make it simple for them, either a valid PR card or a travel document, that's it.
This is a valid point and I agree, I imagine as they move on they will find a simpler way of processing the PRTD and speedier. Already, I understand that multiple entry PRTD's have been granted to ensure that the same people don't have to apply over and over again

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
COPRQuestion said:
This is a valid point and I agree, I imagine as they move on they will find a simpler way of processing the PRTD and speedier. Already, I understand that multiple entry PRTD's have been granted to ensure that the same people don't have to apply over and over again
I know they were planning on starting exit checks a couple of years ago. I haven't heard if they did yet but if they did, they would know in the future if somebody meets the RO or not and it should be simpler and faster to renew PR cards and issue travel documents.