+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Another car import question

Hornfan

May 10, 2011
It seems as though these are both quite popular, and quite common...

So I will be landing in BC next Friday after road tripping up from Texas. I'm bringing two cars with me - my Honda Fit which I have financed, and a CRV that we bought new for my Canadian wife.

Even after reading the forums and all the material we could find on the internet, we had no idea how complicated and time consuming this process is. Here is our problem :

The financed Fit probably won't have the clearance letter from the lienholder ready by the time I land. My bank wants me to have Canadian insurance on the car before they will release it. If I have read correctly, there is a kind of temporary insurance "Insurance Binder" available through ICBC. We are trying to get that squared away, but even if we do and I get the paperwork into the bank tomorrow, the odds of us having everything ready for this vehicle 72 hours prior to exporting are very slim.

The CRV we own outright, but the title apparently takes 6 to 8 weeks to get to us (bought the car 4/29). At the moment it still has the dealer (paper) plates on it - I am just hoping to get the regular license plates before I leave here on Friday.

Has anyone gone through a situation like this before? Both vehicles will be on my goods to follow list, but are they going to let us drive either one of these vehicles into BC without importing them at that time and place?

If not, what would happen if I just crossed without landing and left one up there to import later?

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why don't you phone ICBC/CBSA or your ICBC approved autoplan broker/insurer? They will have the correct answer.