+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Annual budget of refugees

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As per statistics shared by Canadian Immigration, annually 20,000 refugees come to Canada.

Does anyone has the idea that it is 20,000 families or 20,000 persons?

Anyone has the recent years breakup of accepted refugees by country or origin?

I got some detail from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Canada

Thanks and regards,
More than 20k refugees have been arriving annually in Canada during the past few years and that is why the supystem is so overwhelmed and wait times for gearing can be 2+ years.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
As per statistics shared by Canadian Immigration, annually 20,000 refugees come to Canada.

Does anyone has the idea that it is 20,000 families or 20,000 persons?

Anyone has the recent years breakup of accepted refugees by country or origin?

I got some detail from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_Canada

Thanks and regards,
Hi - Canada sets immigration targets every year for the number of landed immigrants that they will accept and what (not who) will be landed. These targets count individuals and not families.

This has nothing to do with refugee claimants because claimants are not yet Convention refugees, so this target number can include people deemed to be CRs from both inside and outside of Canada. They are counting individual landings so a family of three = 3 of the 20,000.

The larger target which is usually over 300,00 people includes other categories of landings like family or independent classes. If you have a landing document then you can see the Immigration category that you were landed under. FC1 (I think) is a spouse and FC has other numbers representing kids and parents, etc. FC is obviously Family Class, EN represented entrepreneurs and CR is Convention refugee. There are others, like DC (Designated Class) for example - Vietnamese "boat people" in the 1980s were granted PR status as DCs.

Immigration processes and their individual purposes are not obvious to the casual observer and people gain knowledge of the specific arms of the many tentacled immigration beast because they get married or complete their education or believe that they cannot return to their country of origin, learning the details applied to their category of application - their immigration "stream." Students, family, refugees and cultural or business applications are in different streams.

When people ask others about their "timelines" I feel just a little bleak for their understanding of the process because the time of year plays into landings alongside summer and Christmas holidays do. Sometime in September the Department resets its sight on the targets and its categories, looking to meet their respective targets.

Canada needs more FCs and less CRs, for example. This would ramp up the landing of family members and less attention to CRs. You could substitute one category for another as this is just an example.

Canada can pivot here and there within the landing categories in order to reach the overall greater target of landings but they try to conform to the numbers announced in Parliament.

Salman Q

Jan 4, 2020
Hi - Canada sets immigration targets every year for the number of landed immigrants that they will accept and what (not who) will be landed. These targets count individuals and not families.

This has nothing to do with refugee claimants because claimants are not yet Convention refugees, so this target number can include people deemed to be CRs from both inside and outside of Canada. They are counting individual landings so a family of three = 3 of the 20,000.

The larger target which is usually over 300,00 people includes other categories of landings like family or independent classes. If you have a landing document then you can see the Immigration category that you were landed under. FC1 (I think) is a spouse and FC has other numbers representing kids and parents, etc. FC is obviously Family Class, EN represented entrepreneurs and CR is Convention refugee. There are others, like DC (Designated Class) for example - Vietnamese "boat people" in the 1980s were granted PR status as DCs.

Immigration processes and their individual purposes are not obvious to the casual observer and people gain knowledge of the specific arms of the many tentacled immigration beast because they get married or complete their education or believe that they cannot return to their country of origin, learning the details applied to their category of application - their immigration "stream." Students, family, refugees and cultural or business applications are in different streams.

When people ask others about their "timelines" I feel just a little bleak for their understanding of the process because the time of year plays into landings alongside summer and Christmas holidays do. Sometime in September the Department resets its sight on the targets and its categories, looking to meet their respective targets.

Canada needs more FCs and less CRs, for example. This would ramp up the landing of family members and less attention to CRs. You could substitute one category for another as this is just an example.

Canada can pivot here and there within the landing categories in order to reach the overall greater target of landings but they try to conform to the numbers announced in Parliament.
Hi,

Your comments are very interesting and providing knowledge of how the immigration of Canada works for an observer who wants to know whats going on as I observed that the timeline of each applicant differs. I think you are an immigrant in Canada and you have been through the process, thats why you have the system understanding. IRCC does the best by providing the average processing times for each category. By checking that someone can get an idea that how much time it takes, although the maximum and minimum can have a huge difference of time or years.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hi,

Your comments are very interesting and providing knowledge of how the immigration of Canada works for an observer who wants to know whats going on as I observed that the timeline of each applicant differs. I think you are an immigrant in Canada and you have been through the process, thats why you have the system understanding. IRCC does the best by providing the average processing times for each category. By checking that someone can get an idea that how much time it takes, although the maximum and minimum can have a huge difference of time or years.
I was born lucky

Reactions: Buletruck