+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ankylosing spondylitis treatment coverage and PR issue

hk1289

Jun 18, 2022
I have rehmato arthritis disease i.e (ankylosing spondylitis) and to overcome this, he is taking the ENBREL injection. I am thinking to move to Canada and wants to confirm if these injection can be covered in govt and private insurance or he has to buy on his own?

Additionally, will I be facing any issues in visa application as well as at the time of PR due to this illness?

Reactions: laxiyer24

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have rehmato arthritis disease i.e (ankylosing spondylitis) and to overcome this, he is taking the ENBREL injection. I am thinking to move to Canada and wants to confirm if these injection can be covered in govt and private insurance or he has to buy on his own?

Additionally, will I be facing any issues in visa application as well as at the time of PR due to this illness?
there is a good chance that you will be denied PR because the treatment for your condition will be deemed medically excessive. There is a cap you must fall under in the next 5 years. If you are approved for PR, Canada doesn’t have a national pharmacare program which may cause you problems if you don’t arrive with prearranged employment that includes a private prescription coverage. You can certainly try but you should be aware of both the lack of pharmacare in Canada and excessive demand issue.

laxiyer24

Jul 9, 2020

I got my PR this year and landed in Canada in Aug. I too have A.S and taking enbrel 50 mg one inj a month. The medical exam will clear you, but you must prove that your medical condition is managable. If you are already having fusion due to a.s then its an issue. Get a written letter from your rheumatologist detailing the present state of your health during the medical exam.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I got my PR this year and landed in Canada in Aug. I too have A.S and taking enbrel 50 mg one inj a month. The medical exam will clear you, but you must prove that your medical condition is managable. If you are already having fusion due to a.s then its an issue. Get a written letter from your rheumatologist detailing the present state of your health during the medical exam.
Whether medical exam will clear you is entirely dependent on your current disease state and prognosis within the next 5-10 years. What will be covered in terms of your medication costs is entirely dependent on what province you live in. For example if you are in Ontario and working in a job without prescription coverage you will have to pay up to 5% of your income on prescription medication. Would suggest including any imagining that you have had and a letter about your prognosis, past treatment and current treatment plan. Without imaging, inflammation markers/general blood work, imagining, list of any surgeries, medication history, etc. you can’t get an accurate picture of someone with AS’s health.