21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
http://archive.is/ggFiT

A very recent appeal case has been posted at CanLII where I don't think the appellant had enough H&C justification, yet the judge ruled in her favor.

It seems to me that the appellant was in possession of an unexpired PR card (since she became a PR on August 2012, and re-entered Canada on April 2017, I would assume that her PR card was not expired yet at the time), but was reported anyway when she entered Canada at Montreal. I believe it provides nuance to the discussion on what is or is not considered a strong H&C factor.

In my (non-expert) opinion, at face value, it does not look like she has much of an H&C case to speak of, yet they still ruled in her favor, citing her potential contribution to Canada, and also the fact that she is highly qualified in her field.

I'm not sure how to read this, really. She is a citizen of France and Lebanon, so it's not like she would be in an immediate danger if she were deported to either country.

She is also unlikely to have been established at this point (having reentered Canada less than a year ago). Her reason for being outside the country for so long was because she was pursuing PhD in France, and even then, she did not reenter the country for about a year after she finished her PhD there.

Her family (including a Canadian child) being here, and that she's highly qualified are obviously positive factors, but but her reason to stay out of Canada being somewhat of a lifestyle choice, and her having first world citizenship, you would assume that the judge would negatively rule against her, but hey, what do I know.

R

rish888

This happens from time to time.

The IAD members have quite a bit of discretion. No one can say why, but if I had to guess I'd say that her being francophone and having a Canadian kid probably played a role in the member's decision. Or maybe the member just liked her, who knows? As far as potential contribution goes, it's not supposed to play a role in the decision, but again given the significant discretion members have they are pretty much free to rule however they want as long as their decision is not super, super arbitrary.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
This happens from time to time.

The IAD members have quite a bit of discretion. No one can say why, but if I had to guess I'd say that her being francophone and having a Canadian kid probably played a role in the member's decision. Or maybe the member just liked her, who knows? As far as potential contribution goes, it's not supposed to play a role in the decision, but again given the significant discretion members have they are pretty much free to rule however they want as long as their decision is not super, super arbitrary.
It's a very interesting case. I personally agree that it's better for her to be allowed to stay in Canada and contribute, but it just seems to be a little strange.

Maybe it is as you said, the fact that she speaks French, but also maybe the fact that she too is a French citizen (instead of a citizen of some third world country or something). It would be disappointed if first-world citizenship is deemed to be more of a positive factor vs. those without.

I'm sure her child, despite being born in Canada, too derives French citizenship from the mom.

She has lived in France for years and years, and it certainly would not be that much of a hardship to deport her back to France.

The economic consideration seems to weigh rather substantially in making this decision (to the point where they mentioned that her absence from Canada is understandable because she wanted to pursue PhD overseas).

jack grover

Feb 6, 2018
india
There are only 70 days in Canada. There is no hardship. She could not come to Canada because she could not find an advisor. This was a professional decision made by her. She came to Canada just before PR card expiry.

Further, the case was picked up within 7 months after the removal order was generated. This will set an interesting precedence because
- the accomplishments and skills of the person seem to played a role
- all her family is in Canada
- no ties to any other country even though citizen of France
- always intended to return to Canada

BTW Rish, if there are other such cases, it will be helpful to know more about them. Can you share the links?

Dentist_india

Star Member
Jun 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2011
Doc's Request.
02-10-2013
AOR Received.
04-05-2011
IELTS Request
with the application
Med's Request
02-10-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2013
http://archive.is/ggFiT

A very recent appeal case has been posted at CanLII where I don't think the appellant had enough H&C justification, yet the judge ruled in her favor.

It seems to me that the appellant was in possession of an unexpired PR card (since she became a PR on August 2012, and re-entered Canada on April 2017, I would assume that her PR card was not expired yet at the time), but was reported anyway when she entered Canada at Montreal. I believe it provides nuance to the discussion on what is or is not considered a strong H&C factor.

In my (non-expert) opinion, at face value, it does not look like she has much of an H&C case to speak of, yet they still ruled in her favor, citing her potential contribution to Canada, and also the fact that she is highly qualified in her field.

I'm not sure how to read this, really. She is a citizen of France and Lebanon, so it's not like she would be in an immediate danger if she were deported to either country.

She is also unlikely to have been established at this point (having reentered Canada less than a year ago). Her reason for being outside the country for so long was because she was pursuing PhD in France, and even then, she did not reenter the country for about a year after she finished her PhD there.

Her family (including a Canadian child) being here, and that she's highly qualified are obviously positive factors, but but her reason to stay out of Canada being somewhat of a lifestyle choice, and her having first world citizenship, you would assume that the judge would negatively rule against her, but hey, what do I know.
I am in a similar situation. I will not meet RO but i have a permanent job offer to work as a scientist from Govt. of Canada in highly skilled profession ( with PhD). I am worried that if i go now, i will not be able to renew my PR and eventually lose my job. But this case gives me hope. Please refer me any similar cases if you guys know

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in a similar situation. I will not meet RO but i have a permanent job offer to work as a scientist from Govt. of Canada in highly skilled profession ( with PhD). I am worried that if i go now, i will not be able to renew my PR and eventually lose my job. But this case gives me hope. Please refer me any similar cases if you guys know
You case is pretty different. You don't meet the RO so you would need to enter without being reported but your job also requires international travel and you won't have a valid PR card for almost 2 years.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
We appreciate that you are desperately looking for a loophole but in reality, you are probably not going to find what you are searching for. You are not really a "special case" and you are/will be in blatant violation of the Residency Obligations... You have a job "offer" and can't really be considered vital to the "Govt. of Canada", as they are surviving just fine without you at the moment.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We appreciate that you are desperately looking for a loophole but in reality, you are probably not going to find what you are searching for. You are not really a "special case" and you are/will be in blatant violation of the Residency Obligations... You have a job "offer" and can't really be considered vital to the "Govt. of Canada", as they are surviving just fine without you at the moment.
Think your only hope is for your employer to willing to accept that you can't travel for approximately 2 years and then hope you enter Canada without getting reported.

Dentist_india

Star Member
Jun 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2011
Doc's Request.
02-10-2013
AOR Received.
04-05-2011
IELTS Request
with the application
Med's Request
02-10-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2013
I am just honest about my situation and if there is anything that I can do within the limits of laws I should be doing that. That’s what I am expecting from this forum too. I am sure Canada has some system to hire or keep the brightest scientists. If USA can do that why not Canada

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I am just honest about my situation and if there is anything that I can do within the limits of laws I should be doing that. That’s what I am expecting from this forum too. I am sure Canada has some system to hire or keep the brightest scientists. If USA can do that why not Canada
Maybe time to consult a professional immigration lawyer if this job is so important to you given as you know everyone on this public forum does their best to provide amateur advice with the best of intentions which everyone can take or leave.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given the current immigration system in the US wouldn't say that they prioritize retaining all the brightest people. The issue is the fact that you were given pretty lenient RO but you failed to meet it and now want special permission. Seems like you are working in defence department where it is important to hire people who are not at risk at losing their status in Canada for safety reasons. The ball is in the court of your potential employer in my opinion and you need to wait and see what their response is to your inability to leave Canada for a long time and the fact that you could be reported at the border.