+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

An inquiry on the number of days to apply for the citizenship ..

aalhumiqani

Oct 11, 2020
Hello everyone ...
I got my PR and did the landing in August 2018 but am stuck in Saudi and won't be able to travel until March/April next year ... by that time I wouldn't have enough days in my 5 years PR to meet the 3 years requirement for the citizenship.

So my question is: Does each 5 years of a PR considered as a one round where I have to be in Canada for 3 years to apply for a citizenship? or can I spend the last 2.5 years of the first round and then renew my PR and spend another 6 months and still be eligible to apply for the citizenship?

I am genuinely losing sleep over the idea of having to spend 2 years to renew the PR and then still have to do the 3 years again.

Thank you in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone ...
I got my PR and did the landing in August 2018 but am stuck in Saudi and won't be able to travel until March/April next year ... by that time I wouldn't have enough days in my 5 years PR to meet the 3 years requirement for the citizenship.

So my question is: Does each 5 years of a PR considered as a one round where I have to be in Canada for 3 years to apply for a citizenship? or can I spend the last 2.5 years of the first round and then renew my PR and spend another 6 months and still be eligible to apply for the citizenship?

I am genuinely losing sleep over the idea of having to spend 2 years to renew the PR and then still have to do the 3 years again.

Thank you in advance.
The citizenship residency requirement is independent of your PR card. It's any three years.

Reactions: aalhumiqani

aalhumiqani

Oct 11, 2020
The citizenship residency requirement is independent of your PR card. It's any three years.
So basically as long as I spend 3 out of the last 5 years I would be eligible to apply for the citizenship and that got nothing to do with my PR?
Sorry for rewording my questions Scylla ... I know you can understand my position ..