+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AMEX global transfer

probee

Feb 26, 2018
I moved from US to Canada a week ago and was hoping to make use of global transfer. Put in an application via phone.

On following up with AMEX Canada New Accounts, they are asking for two documents

1. Name and Address Verification
One of the following

• Notice of Assessment
  • T4 Statement
  • Canada Pension Plan (CCP) Statement
  • Utility Bill (for example: electricity, water, telecommunications)
  • Property Tax Assessment (issued by a municipality)
  • Vehicle Registration Benefits Statement (issued by a Province)

2. Canadian Bank Account verification

I have neither of them since I moved so recently and I clearly remember someone stating to avoid opening a Canadian bank account before getting global transfer done since having a Canadian credit history apparenly affects the process. Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance

kanha

Jul 4, 2021
I have neither of them since I moved so recently and I clearly remember someone stating to avoid opening a Canadian bank account before getting global transfer done since having a Canadian credit history apparenly affects the process. Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance
I also tried this route a couple months back but no success. Moreover, I also provided them the above mentioned doc but they didn't approve it saying "We are unable to find your credit score....". Good luck if you get it.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
I'm talking about AMEX Global transfer Credit Card program. You can always open bank account without any credit score.
I'm also talking in reference to the program. Because I did use the program to get AMEX in Canada. I don't understand why you need to open bank account after the transfer. I opened bank account much before I did the AMEX global transfer. I don't see how those two things are related.

Reactions: probee

probee

Feb 26, 2018
I'm also talking in reference to the program. Because I did use the program to get AMEX in Canada. I don't understand why you need to open bank account after the transfer. I opened bank account much before I did the AMEX global transfer. I don't see how those two things are related.
Cool. How long ago was this? And if you don’t mind what was the credit limit on new card

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Thanks for confirming. What other documents did they ask for? I guess I will need to wait for a month till I get my first utility bills.
I don't remember any more documents being asked. For name & address verification they gave me an option of going to nearest post office to do the verification. I opted for that. They sent a document to my address and I took that document to post office and showed them my DL and they verified name and address. I got my card shortly after that.

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Ok that’s nice. Seems like they modified the process due to covid
The process has been same from about 3 years back. You apply online, they approve your request based on incoming country credit report and ask you to confirm your name and address either at Amex office or at local post office. After that you get your credit card with similar perks as incoming country.

I don't recall if they asked for Canadian bank account but I did have one already, so not sure if it mattered.

LongBill

Star Member
Aug 3, 2020
Florida, USA
Category........
FAM
An interesting thread! I have been dealing with Amex for several months trying to obtain a Canadian card based on my US account and credit history. Things are progressing...very slowly....now that I am actually resident here. Though it's not been quite the "seamless" experience they proclaim on the site.

I don't understand their reference to using a/the "Vehicle Registration Benefits Statement (issued by a Province)"
  • I have now registered my imported vehicle in the Province and have the vehicle registration form. But I don't know what a "Vehicle Registration Benefits Statement" is. Google doesn't seem to know either. Any thoughts? In any case, I have already uploaded that along with some other requested documents.
I have loved having Amex for many years but this "seamless" experience they promote is about the straw that might break the camel's back.

Editing to add that Amex has confirmed that they are using my US credit history. The hang-up results from the need for documents to "Know Your Customer", meaning they need to verify identity so that I am not a financial criminal or funding terrorist groups. I see the point and the need, but it seems that this process could be improved greatly. One problem is they do not have local offices the way banks and other agencies do, so this increases the difficulty to KYC.

Last edited:
Reactions: probee