Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
QuebecOkie said:
Caught up on all the discussion. I am currently in French classes provided by the Military Family Resource Center. J'apprends lentement mais sûrement. I have a strong desire to learn the language, for multiple reasons. I live in Chicoutimi now. While there are a lot of people who speak some English here, you can NEVER expect or demand it. Learning French will make day to day life for the next (four? til the RCAF sends us elsewhere) years easier. After this, we have no idea where we'll go next. We could end up with a posting to another French-speaking area where, again, being able to speak and understand French will improve my daily life. We're likely in Canada for the foreseeable future, and I think it will be helpful, once I can work again, to speak both official languages. I love to be able to communicate well, and being able to do so in a second language is something to which I look forward with happiness. Also, I do respect that I willingly moved to an area with a different culture, and while there's a lot of political bull*censored word* around these issues, I want to show respect to the people of this region by learning to communicate in their language.

The individual people here are generally very helpful and kind. I've learned not to ask, "Parlez vous anglais?" The answer is often non, or un peu. I just try to make myself understood in my limited and bad French, haha, and they generally appreciate the effort and work to meet me in the middle. Some days, it's really a struggle, but there are small victories here and there that encourage me and keep me trying. I got a high-five from the sweet girl at the depanneur down the street for using my French when I paid for gas last week. That had me smiling for a couple of hours. :)
that's the spirit! and immersion is the best way to learn, as you can practice as much as you want, and everything that you learn in class makes so much sense - and can be useful right away ( at least normally, specially for classes for adults).... learning a new language is also good for your brain, it's gymnastics, and you'll have access to a whole different culture...

Good luck with learning!
Sweden

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Thanks, Sweden! It's slow going, but I'm definitely making progress. I think we'll have a great 4 (or 2, or 8, or however many...can't trust the military until something is in the past, haha) years here...starting as soon as my husband gets home from his course in Ontario. The days can't pass quickly enough to suit me until then.