+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American waiting for Canadian PR - crossing border safely

USCanFam

Aug 15, 2011
I'm a Canadian citizen married to an American and we're planning on applying for his Canadian PR from outland, but hoping to move up sooner than waiting the full processing time.

Would he get hassled crossing the Canadian border with a trailer full of our stuff if we showed proof of the PR application and that he still maintains ties in the US (US employment/rental agreement, etc...)? Can he get denied access until the paperwork is final, eventhough he's helping the kids and I move ahead of time?

Would he get less hassled if he applied for a NEXUS card first?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes he is likely to be refused entry if he arrives with a uHaul full of stuff, when both of you are with the vehicle, a lot less likely. Others have done this with no issues at all.
Yes he can be denied entry at any time until he is a PR or citizen.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
He can come up to visit. If you have not submitted his PR application, I would have him come up by himself and say he is visiting, with proof he will return to the USA (it is unlikely that he will be asked for it, but should have it just in case.) You can enter with your U-haul with no problem.
If you submit his PR application first, he should be admitted with you. Just have the receipt for fees paid and your file number - just the fees receipt should be enough: i.e., you can pay, get the receipt, and enter before actually sending in the forms. But with the fees receipt, a copy of the forms, and your file number, he should have no trouble. Lots of forum members have entered this way.
What you should not do is have him come up with all your belongings before submitting the application. That will look like he is moving, not visiting.
If you will be settling in Alberta, submitting the PR application first and then being upfront with the border agent is a good idea, because they will give him a visitor record and in Alberta that is enough to apply for a health card. Each province is different in this regard.

gibph

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-11
File Transfer...
15-03-11
I agree with canadianwoman! In my case, we once brought over a truck load of household goods from the States using a bonded trucking company. (we did the loading in the States, and unloaded it once it arrived in Canada. All we had to do was get the bill of ladiing stamped by Canada customs before we could unload the truck.
My girlfriend (at that time ,we are now married) has been denied entry into Canada on the basis of too frequent visits and Canada Immigration thought she was living in Canada more than the States!
She had to prove her full time job in the states and proof of residence in the States also. So it might be wise to carry a copy of your PR files everytime you cross the border.
She has now been issued with a record of entry document so she no longer gets the 3rd degree when she visits me here in Canada!
Does anyone know if a visitors record document and a PR Client number is enough to apply for a health card in Ontario?

Cheers,
PG

USCanFam

Aug 15, 2011
Oh thank you guys sooo much! This is great news, and helps a lot! I was freaking out thinking I was going to have to move by myself with two little kids :-/ We're going into Ontario, and not Alberta, unfortunately, but that's really good to know!