+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American Returning to Canada with expired PR card

ecallawwerdna

Jan 13, 2019
My wife is an American citizen but is a Canadian permanent resident. She wants to travel to Mexico in a few weeks with her sister, but her PR card expired and she is still waiting for the new one. Since she is American and has a US passport will she be able to get back into Canada (will they let her board the plane since she doesn't need to show a visa or eTA?) without a current PR card?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
My wife is an American citizen but is a Canadian permanent resident. She wants to travel to Mexico in a few weeks with her sister, but her PR card expired and she is still waiting for the new one. Since she is American and has a US passport will she be able to get back into Canada (will they let her board the plane since she doesn't need to show a visa or eTA?) without a current PR card?
According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), no matter how you travel back to Canada, you must prove to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer that you have valid permanent resident status. This applies to all family members who are permanent residents, including children.

You require a valid PR card or a valid Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to re-enter Canada by commercial carrier (train, plane, boat or bus). You will not be permitted to board a commercial carrier, if you cannot prove you can enter Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), no matter how you travel back to Canada, you must prove to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer that you have valid permanent resident status. This applies to all family members who are permanent residents, including children.

You require a valid PR card or a valid Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to re-enter Canada by commercial carrier (train, plane, boat or bus). You will not be permitted to board a commercial carrier, if you cannot prove you can enter Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html
Americans are both eTA and visa-exempt. They can board a commercial carrier to Canada on the strength of just their passport.

Reactions: jddd

ecallawwerdna

Jan 13, 2019
Americans are both eTA and visa-exempt. They can board a commercial carrier to Canada on the strength of just their passport.
Well that's great! But is there anywhere that states that? Everything I find on government websites says they need a valid PR card, and I can't find anything about americans specifically.

Also, if she does get on the plane and gets back in to Canada, what will happen at customs? Thanks for your help!

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I believe she will be able to board the plane and at customs, CBSA will be able to verify her PR through their own records.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
As someone stated above, she can board the plane using her US Passport alone. It's hit or miss with CBSA. I have only had to show my PR card once and that was because they weren't able to see my PR status attached to my Nexus card and was quizzing me on how I was living and working in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Well that's great! But is there anywhere that states that? Everything I find on government websites says they need a valid PR card, and I can't find anything about americans specifically.

Also, if she does get on the plane and gets back in to Canada, what will happen at customs? Thanks for your help!
There is nothing stated on the website because it is a loophole. Prior to the implementation of the eTA, every visa-exempt PR could travel to Canada without a PR card or PRTD but the website still stated it was required. There are numerous recent threads about Americans travelling without PR cards.

She shows her expired PR card and says she is waiting for a new one.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
US citizens don't require eTA, PR cards (if PRs), or Canadian passports (if Canadian citizens) to board a commercial airline heading towards Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1116&top=16

Just show up with your passport and they would let you board the plane.

Once at the border or port of entry, it matters not what your citizenship is, CBSA has to let any PR in.