+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American parent visitor visa or super visa?

Socho

Aug 3, 2020
I am a Canadian citizen. I have an American parent that I would like to sponsor, but the PGP program is on hold. My parent and I were considering the supervisa, but remembered that Americans can stay in Canada for 6 months at a time. We could just go back and forth across the border (my parent would need to go back to the US for medication, doctors visits anyway, they still have ties to the US). Do you think this is an easier and viable way to have a parent come stay in Canada with me for an extended period of time until we are able to apply for the Parental PR sponsorship program? What are the risks of this approach, if any? It would be nice to not have to have the mandatory insurance (although we probably will get it anyway) and have the medical exam.

Reactions: skye

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
"Do you think this is an easier and viable way to have a parent come stay in Canada with me for an extended period of time until we are able to apply for the Parental PR sponsorship program?"
Yes. Visits can be extended for an additional 6 months without too much difficulty (assuming financial resources and medical insurance are in place). To my mind it makes no sense to apply for a Super Visa for a citizen of a visitor-visa exempt country.

Reactions: skye

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You seem to be asking if a parent can move to Canada until they get selected for PGP. At a certain point extensions may be denied or entry to Canada may be denied if CBSA feels that your parent is spending too much time in Canada. We're not sure what changes qre being made to PGP and who will fet selected. There are many applying for each spot so it could take years to get a spot. Unless you have an extra hundreds of thousands of dollars not taking out insurance for at least 100K of emergency medical treatment is risky move. We have seen others post about large bills they are unable to pay abd then must pay ofc monthly for over a decade. Yours parents can certainly visit but they will probably need a place to return to in thd US.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I am a Canadian citizen. I have an American parent that I would like to sponsor, but the PGP program is on hold. My parent and I were considering the supervisa, but remembered that Americans can stay in Canada for 6 months at a time. We could just go back and forth across the border (my parent would need to go back to the US for medication, doctors visits anyway, they still have ties to the US). Do you think this is an easier and viable way to have a parent come stay in Canada with me for an extended period of time until we are able to apply for the Parental PR sponsorship program? What are the risks of this approach, if any? It would be nice to not have to have the mandatory insurance (although we probably will get it anyway) and have the medical exam.
Eventually , even Americans, if they are staying an inordinately amount of time here , will be asked to leave
Being from a visa exempt country doesn’t preclude the rule , they can only visit not live here . If they try the border hop more than a few times , eventually they’ll be told to go live back in the US
You being a Canadian citizen doesn’t give them extra leeway in living in Canada without authorization

Socho

Aug 3, 2020
Adding more detail, my parent is single and retired. I would be the primary source of support (parent would be living in my house, I would be responsible for them financially.) But I think the point was made that continuous renewals of the visitor visa may end; I think the supervisa in this case is better because of the extended period of time parent can stay with me.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Adding more detail, my parent is single and retired. I would be the primary source of support (parent would be living in my house, I would be responsible for them financially.) But I think the point was made that continuous renewals of the visitor visa may end; I think the supervisa in this case is better because of the extended period of time parent can stay with me.
It is still a visitor visa and that doesn't guarantee that a parent can remain in Canada forever. If a parent gets sick supervisa insurance only pays for them to get stabilized and then they are expected ro pursue further treatment in their home country. Being an only parent does not guarantee that a parent can move to Canada unless they get approval of PR through PGP.