+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American married to Canadian living in Canada (implied status + extended visitor's visa) taxes question

fluerpower

Mar 15, 2020
Hi there,

I'm working on my taxes, and I have a question:

My wife's been living here since late January 2020. She worked for a week in January while still in the US. We're still waiting for her OWP, and she's not worked at all in Canada. We're only just doing her biometrics next week. Currently here on an extended visitor's visa and our pending spousal sponsorship. She received an equivalent of only 1,215$CAD in the week she worked in the US prior to coming here.

For submitting my taxes, can I submit our forms together? Do I need to submit a T4, foreign slip, none or both, for her? Is she considered a non-resident? Or do I not need to submit her income at all?

Again, she received no income in Canada.

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

I'm working on my taxes, and I have a question:

My wife's been living here since late January 2020. She worked for a week in January while still in the US. We're still waiting for her OWP, and she's not worked at all in Canada. We're only just doing her biometrics next week. Currently here on an extended visitor's visa and our pending spousal sponsorship. She received an equivalent of only 1,215$CAD in the week she worked in the US prior to coming here.

For submitting my taxes, can I submit our forms together? Do I need to submit a T4, foreign slip, none or both, for her? Is she considered a non-resident? Or do I not need to submit her income at all?

Again, she received no income in Canada.

Thanks.
She is only a visitor so doesn't need to file taxes. You will need to declare her and family income on your taxes for benefit calculations.

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
In case you are not aware, you file separately (even if married) in Canada. Another reason why you don't need to report her U.S. income to CRA.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In case you are not aware, you file separately (even if married) in Canada. Another reason why you don't need to report her U.S. income to CRA.
You do need to declare your worldwide family income to determine benefits amounts. Even if CRA isn't aware of your US income amount you still need to declare it by law.

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017
You do need to declare your worldwide family income to determine benefits amounts. Even if CRA isn't aware of your US income amount you still need to declare it by law.
My spouse has a U.S. income and but my tax return says enter spouse's net income (on line 23100 something). Should I be converting the income in CAD and reporting or say zero?

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
I suspect you'd report her income in CAD, but others may know better than I. I'm still in the U.S. awaiting PR approval, so I haven't actually gone through such tax computations yet. I was even surprised that you have to mention spousal income given that married couples file separately in Canada.

jclarke99

May 10, 2020
I suspect you'd report her income in CAD, but others may know better than I. I'm still in the U.S. awaiting PR approval, so I haven't actually gone through such tax computations yet. I was even surprised that you have to mention spousal income given that married couples file separately in Canada.
The following site educated me on why Spousal net income is reported on one's Canadian tax return. Combined income can impact a variety of Canadian tax credits.

https://www.taxtips.ca/filing/spousereturn.htm

Is your wife a Canadian resident for tax purposes? If so, then I suspect that you need to report her U.S. income. If not, I'm not sure.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The following site educated me on why Spousal net income is reported on one's Canadian tax return. Combined income can impact a variety of Canadian tax credits.

https://www.taxtips.ca/filing/spousereturn.htm

Is your wife a Canadian resident for tax purposes? If so, then I suspect that you need to report her U.S. income. If not, I'm not sure.
You always need to report for calculation of tax credits and benefits.