Done up front
Med's Done....
15-9-2015
VISA ISSUED...
8-11-2016 (COPR)
LANDED..........
11-12-2016
Hallor said:
I appears I can be a "visitor" to Canada and still apply outland? So I could go on a normal visitor visa, apply with all of my documents and sorta soft move in?
She should get a passport. It makes no sense not to have one.

Americans are automatically allowed to spend up to six months per year visiting in Canada without an actual visa. You cannot move here. It is just visiting. So you need to prove that you have sufficient ties back in the USA in case you are questioned upon entry.

My husband and I are doing this right now. He is American and he comes up here periodically during the year. He still lives in the US and actually still works for a US company ( they allow him to work remotely). We have applied Outland. He's completely honest when coming through customs. Every time they ask him how long he is going to stay, who he is visiting etc. He always tells them that we are in fact going through spousal sponsorship process. We've never had an issue

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
Hallor said:
@Ponge: Travel costs for another person because she won't travel alone, and I can't expect her too. Call me an over analyzer. The prospect of a possible interview makes me nervous is all. Also I was not aware of that wait time og 6-8 moths because the CIC website says 17 months. But if you are able to get the open work permit via inland application you're generally given that within 6 months as well, right?

But everyone seems very negative about the inland process, why is that exactly?
If you're comparing costs, consider that the open work permit will cost you an additional $255 in fees, compared to the outland process which will allow you to begin working within the same time period for "free". Although that is still less than the cost of two round-trip tickets from Calgary to LA, it's a guaranteed up-front cost versus the very low likelihood of being called for an interview. There is also a higher chance that you will be required to pay for a second medical exam if it expires during the long inland processing time.

Zake424

Jul 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2015
AOR Received.
27-10-2015
Med's Done....
20-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 02-20-2015
LANDED..........
Landing on April 18, 2016
My advice is to definitely apply Outland! I applied last Sept. 9, 2015 and received my COPR last week. It took 5 months! I'm an American married to a Canadian. I did not have an interview and the majority of Americans don't. I'm currently in Canada and will be going back home to Texas next week. During the process, I've been visiting my husband in Canada for 6-8 weeks and then return home for 6 weeks and then go back to Canada. I won't have to do that now since I received my COPR. I am working out details of landing probably in April and then I will immediately go apply for my SIN Card and OHIP (although I won't have medical coverage for 3 months). TBH, at the time, the last 5 months seemed like an eternity waiting but now that it's over, it didn't seem that long. I can't imagine waiting 2 years for my COPR. I was also worried about going home to visit family and not being allowed back in to Canada. It wasn't worth the risk. I've crossed the Canadian border approximately 9 times in the past year and a half and have never had an issue. Yes, I've been questioned by the border agent but have always been honest and I've always left the country when I told them I would. Make sure you get your FBI background check process started immediately and then right before you file your application, go get your medical exam done. Pay all of your fees upfront and you should receive your COPR in 5-8 months. Good luck with whatever application you decide to file. This forum is so helpful and will guide you in the right direction. We are all in this boat together and try to help each other as much as possible

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
Hallor said:
I appears I can be a "visitor" to Canada and still apply outland? So I could go on a normal visitor visa, apply with all of my documents and sorta soft move in?
As an American, you don't need a visa. Just tell the border guard you are 'visiting' DO NOT EVER say you are moving or bring a bunch of luggage, furniture or pets with you as you don't as yet have the right to live or work in Canada. You may also need to provide bank statements to prove you can support yourself as you aren't eligible for welfare or to work. However, do not apply inland. It takes an extremely long time and really unnecessary for an American as you don't need a visa to enter the country. You can maintain visitor's status very easily. Plus, an interview is highly unlikely. CAN/AM couples seem to have an easy go of it. Yes, you can apply from Canada. Just visit and send your documents from here.

HOTW

Mar 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7/10/2015
AOR Received.
27-11-2015
File Transfer...
08/12/15
Med's Done....
Upfront
My husband and I have lived apart for over 2 years. I moved back in 2013 after purchasing a property in May of that year. Hubby comes to visit most weekends, most of the time its easy to get thru the border sometimes he gets a problematic guard. They dont like to let you in to visit if they think you are going to live there I will say that. Best to keep your job in the USA make her get a passport which is always good to have anyhow. I just found out we have a Decision Made after we applied in Oct 2015. Until Hubby sees or hears differently he is negative that he is approved to come here to live...taking all my joy away....

Inland apps if they are denied will have no ability to appeal, Outland you can. Also there is no guarantee you will get a work permit on an Inland. Outland app for US spouses seem to be going thru at about 4-6 months if there are no background issues. Inland it is much longer and I think that tension is even worse esp if you visit for 6 months go back and they deny you entry. I for one never considered the Inland option.