+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American married to a Canadian

Discussion in 'Family Class Sponsorship' started by mutt72, Mar 13, 2009.

  1. Hello I'm an american married to a Candian, I lived there for 10 months during my wifes pregnancy of which four were legal. We now live in the USA and we need help on getting my PR soon. My wifes grandmother is ill and we would like to move back soon, my wife is a CNA and I'm an EMT. I downloaded and printed the three part packet for spouse sponsorship, but I'm not sure what the fees are or the interviews are needed or not. Please can anyone offer any advice on this matter...
  2. Two ways:

    1. She can sponsor you for PR while living in the US but then you need to prove to immigration that you will move to Canada after you get your PR. You can do this with a job offer, arranging housing beforehand, letters from friends and family stating they know your plans and will help you out or whatever else you can think of.

    2. She or you both can go to Canada and she starts the sponsorship application from inside Canada. If you do an outland application, that is you officially living in the US and "visiting" her in Canada, you could expect to get your PR in give or take 6 months. You might be called for an interview in the US. Until then, if you are in Canada, you would have visitor status and would not be able to work. I would not advice to do an inland application because it takes longer and because you would be stuck in Canada and not be able to go to the US if something goes wrong in your family.

    There should be a fee schedule in there somewhere. I think it's C$550 for the application fee and C$75 for the sponsorship and C$490 for the right of landing fee. Fee schedule here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp#visas_permits
  3. Thanks for the input, I would also like to know if I apply here can I apply for a visitor pass as well for the remaining months. I won't work of course till my PR is approved but is this possible to do both? --Apply for outside PR and visitor pass like four months later?
  4. If you are still in Canada after 5 months and nothing is happening, you can send in for a visit visa extension. You probably wont hear anything about it for another 70 days, that's how long it takes to process them right now but if you apply, you have pending status until you hear from them.
  5. Thank you guys for the info...It's a really big help for my PR process

Share This Page