+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American girlfriend visiting me

Hddeer

Apr 17, 2019
Howdy ya'll,

My girlfriend is flying in from the states on friday and im trying to figure out what our options are in terms of her being able to get a job and work here.

Ive filled out a bunch of forms and all of which say she isnt eligible for a visitor visa, work permit etc.

Ive debated on marrying her when she gets here this time, but even then im pretty sure she needs some type of visa.

Unfortunately she didnt finish her college program. I guess theres always the chances of potentially getting her here to go through school, but im not overly invested in that.

Any advice? Is there someone i should call?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Howdy ya'll,

My girlfriend is flying in from the states on friday and im trying to figure out what our options are in terms of her being able to get a job and work here.

Ive filled out a bunch of forms and all of which say she isnt eligible for a visitor visa, work permit etc.

Ive debated on marrying her when she gets here this time, but even then im pretty sure she needs some type of visa.

Unfortunately she didnt finish her college program. I guess theres always the chances of potentially getting her here to go through school, but im not overly invested in that.

Based on the information you have provided, she does not qualify for a work permit at this time. To qualify for a work permit, she would need to secure a job offer in Canada and her employer would then have to obtain an approved LMIA (4-6 month process generally). It's typically very difficult to find employers willing to go through the LMIA process.

If your relationship is serious and you get married, you can then sponsor her for permanent residency and include an open work permit with the application. The open work permit will be approved around four months after the full application package is submitted. Once the work permit is approved, she will be able to work. That's probably the most realistic way for her to get a work permit.

If she wants to attend school in Canada before she is a PR, she will need to obtain a study permit and pay international student fees (which are expensive).

Reactions: Bryanna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Howdy ya'll,

If she has a US passport or green card that easily allows her to enter Canada, there’s no other type of visa she needs for you to marry her.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Based on the information you have provided, she does not qualify for a work permit at this time. To qualify for a work permit, she would need to secure a job offer in Canada and her employer would then have to obtain an approved LMIA (4-6 month process generally). It's typically very difficult to find employers willing to go through the LMIA process.

If your relationship is serious and you get married, you can then sponsor her for permanent residency and include an open work permit with the application. The open work permit will be approved around four months after the full application package is submitted. Once the work permit is approved, she will be able to work. That's probably the most realistic way for her to get a work permit.

If she wants to attend school in Canada before she is a PR, she will need to obtain a study permit and pay international student fees (which are expensive).
Also for those 4 months she would have to stay in Canada right? She couldn't go back to the USA to work in the meantime.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also for those 4 months she would have to stay in Canada right? She couldn't go back to the USA to work in the meantime.
Yes - she would need to remain in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The whole process will take longer than 4 months. You need to get a marriage license, get married and then wait to receive your marriage record. Collecting records needed and filling out paperwork is also very time consuming.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Police reports, marriage certificates, photos and proof of a relationship, etc etc etc. It is 3-5 months from the date of the submission for the OWP. Factor in how much time you need to make the submissions.

Hddeer

Apr 17, 2019

Would it be at all possible when she has to clear customs at toronto pearson that she could apply for some type of work permit/open work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Would it be at all possible when she has to clear customs at toronto pearson that she could apply for some type of work permit/open work permit?
No - absolutely not.

Reactions: k.h.p.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Presumably, she's a US citizen, which means she would have access to Canadian jobs under NAFTA, would she not? Assuming she is able to work in one of the fields covered by the agreement (which OP and their gf would have to assess).

The best way to get your gf permission to work in Canada is as scylla said, though-- get married and sponsor her.