Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
July 2010
LANDED..........
April 2014
Hello Seniors,

My daughter is born in United States and now she is here in Canada, my question if she gets her Canadian Citizenship, what will happen to her US citizenship, do we need to surrender that or she can have both?
She is very young now and not sure where she is going to have her future education and career? Please share your ideas on this....

Thanks
havs

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Nothing will happen to her US citizenship. She will become a dual citizen.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
she can keep both. my son is dual Canadian and US citizen. When we go to US he shows his US passport and when we come back to Canada he shows Canadian passport.

havs

Star Member
Aug 12, 2012
Mississauga
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
July 2010
LANDED..........
April 2014
Hi There,

with reference to the government website, the below is quoted.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship over another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship.

The bolded sentence is confusing.

Any clues/ ideas ?

bye !

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unless you voluntarily renounce US Citizenship in person before a consular officer which is a process involving filling out paperwork and signing a declaration to the effect that you know and understand what you are doing then acquiring another citizenship will not result in loss of US Citizenship.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
havs said:
Hi There,

with reference to the government website, the below is quoted.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship over another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship.

The bolded sentence is confusing.

Any clues/ ideas ?

bye !
the key word is "may". For most people, it is a non-issue. But there are certain cases where the US will really frown upon it and you can potentially lose your US citizenship. One example is if you, as a citizen of another country, join that military. Another is certain high-level foreign government positions.

In general, the US doesn't like dual-citizenship in general but will tolerate it. In certain instances, they will give you a hard time (like US Senator Ted Cruz, who recently gave up his Canadian citizenship to avoid critique from his peers about his loyality) but for your average citizen, it is not a big deal. One thing to keep in mind is that to the US, they really only recognize you as a US citizen only, regardless of if you have other citizenships. That's why you must enter the US with a US passport, even if you have other passport.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Dejaavu said:
Same goes for Canadian citizens entering Canada. They have to use Canadian passport.
I didn't realize it was the same for Canada. For some reason I thought just the US had this.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
It is not just Canada, a lot of countries require that.

I knew a US CBP officer and he told me a story when US/Canadian dual citizen was trying to enter US by using a Canadian passport citing that he didn't have money to pay for US passport. The border officer told him that he is presenting himself as a Canadian because of the Canadian passport and gave him B2 (tourism/visit) status for six months.