+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American Citizen and Canadian Citizen (Questions)

Jillypilly9

Jan 20, 2012
My fiancee and I have been together since August 2008 and he's visited me three times. The first time was for a week, the second was for three weeks, and the third was for two weeks. I'm an american citizen and I plan on moving up to canada next summer to be with my fiancee and just staying there on a passport for 6 months. We plan on getting married within a year and a half of me moving there. I was wondering if I can apply for a visitors visa during the 6 months I'm there on my passport and if I can apply for one that lasts like 12 months? Or do they only give you ones that last 6 months? Also, I was wondering when we get married and he sponsors me if I will have to still have the visa and get it extended while the application is being processed. Would it be better to just try to leave the country and re-enter instead of getting the visa? I've read that the spousal sponsorship is the best of the three choices. Do you think I would need a lot of evidence in this sort of situation? Also, I've read that outland processing can take 6-12 months, but with buffalo its 12 months. Has anyone experienced a shorter processing time than 12 months? With that lengthy processing time would it be better to just process it inland? Any information you can give me will be helpful. Thank you!! :)

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Jillypilly9 said:
My fiancee and I have been together since August 2008 and he's visited me three times. The first time was for a week, the second was for three weeks, and the third was for two weeks. I'm an american citizen and I plan on moving up to canada next summer to be with my fiancee and just staying there on a passport for 6 months. We plan on getting married within a year and a half of me moving there. I was wondering if I can apply for a visitors visa during the 6 months I'm there on my passport and if I can apply for one that lasts like 12 months? Or do they only give you ones that last 6 months? Also, I was wondering when we get married and he sponsors me if I will have to still have the visa and get it extended while the application is being processed. Would it be better to just try to leave the country and re-enter instead of getting the visa? I've read that the spousal sponsorship is the best of the three choices. Do you think I would need a lot of evidence in this sort of situation? Also, I've read that outland processing can take 6-12 months, but with buffalo its 12 months. Has anyone experienced a shorter processing time than 12 months? With that lengthy processing time would it be better to just process it inland? Any information you can give me will be helpful. Thank you!! :)
Hello and Welcome!

First of all, you can come up for 6 months, then once you're nearing 6 months, apply for an extension. They SOMETIMES give a year, but usually it's 6 months. My husband and I extended his visa(He's American) twice now, both for 6 months. You would need enough evidence no matter how you apply, from before the wedding, the actual wedding and after if possible. This includes boarding passes, airline tickets, receipts of gifts you bought each other, photos, e-mails, facebook messages, etc etc etc. Outland is ALWAYS faster, one of my close friends sponsored her husband and hers was complicated (Husband was a Vet) and he got PR in 9 months. So yes, it can be short. Inland is VERY much so longer. It's 11 months JUST for the first stage. You'd be better off applying outland, which you can do while you're in Canada.

I hope that helped!! :)

Sunshine87

Apr 13, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 3, 2012
AOR Received.
July 5, 2012
File Transfer...
July 6, 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 10, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 25, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 30, 2012
LANDED..........
Dec 30, 2012
The maximum length of a visitor visa is 6 months. You'll either have to leave the country and re-enter, or you can apply to extend the visa for another 6 months at a time. It would probably be better to apply for a visa extension.

After you are living with him for 12 months, you could apply as a common-law relationship if you weren't yet ready to get married. As long as you can provide proof of cohabitation (lease agreement, bills sent to the same address, ect). I`m not sure how many times you can get away with visa extensions and re-entry before they put a stop to it.

Buffalo is no longer the US visa office as it shut down, applications are now sent to Ottawa. If you applied outland through Ottawa, the current processing time for Step 1 is 91 days, Step 2 is 12 months. Inland is 11 months for Step 1 and 8 months for Step 2.

I suggest you take some time to read through the guides for both inland and outland so you are able to make the best decision for your situation. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/index.asp

Jillypilly9

Jan 20, 2012
Thank you for all the information guys, my only other question was would I need a visa/visa extension while my application for sponsorship is processing?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Yes, you must keep your status valid in Canada even while applying for permanent residence. Otherwise, you can be removed if you are found to be without legally valid status.

Jillypilly9

Jan 20, 2012
Also, when I was reading about a visitor visa it says you intend to leave Canada. Am I supposed to say that I intend to leave Canada when I don't intend to do so or do I just tell them the situation?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Jillypilly9 said:
Also, when I was reading about a visitor visa it says you intend to leave Canada. Am I supposed to say that I intend to leave Canada when I don't intend to do so or do I just tell them the situation?
Have something that says you will go back, but something that you can easily cancel. Plane tix for example. That will be the "proof" that you will be returning.

Jillypilly9

Jan 20, 2012
Will I need a visa to actually stay there though because I'm from the U.S. after my 6 months are up? Or could I just apply for visitor extension?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Jillypilly9 said:
Will I need a visa to actually stay there though because I'm from the U.S. after my 6 months are up? Or could I just apply for visitor extension?
Nope, just the visitors extension :)

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
just apply for visitor visa extension
and you know sometimes (with some people) cbsa has given a visitor record for two years and one year too

you can ask cbsa to get you the visitor record that will be helpful to you and if you are thinking of telling the truth to them that you are in a relationship and thinking of getting married so may be they can give you visitor record for more time.

Jillypilly9

Jan 20, 2012
I was wondering if I'm just supposed to tell them I'm applying for permanent residency when I apply for the extension.. because what if they deny me while my application is processing? And don't you have to leave if you apply for visitor visa?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Jillypilly9 said:
I was wondering if I'm just supposed to tell them I'm applying for permanent residency when I apply for the extension.. because what if they deny me while my application is processing? And don't you have to leave if you apply for visitor visa?
We told them that we were applying, both times, and both times got them. CIC is better at the visitors thing than the border patrol is IMO. And no, you don't have to leave. My husband has been here since May 2011, hasn't been back home since then.